Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Moving to the Front Range.

For those of you who have moved to or from the Lakewood/Golden area recently, how would you say the cost of living is, and to what are you comparing it?

I have a job offer, and quite frankly I really want to take it. It's way below where the offer should be however. While it's still a raise, I'm not sure it's something I could do, and I want to know firsthand what it's like living in this area (how much it costs).

These questions are vague, I know. But you can extrapolate what I'm asking, I think, and sort of give me general answers... for example, could a couple both making minimum wage (guess it's 7.02/hr) really live in this area? If not, what would YOU say it would take (per hour, or per year, whichever you know).

I really would love to move. Me and my 4 bikes are begging to. I'm sure I can make it work, but I don't especially want to go from comfortable living (relatively speaking) to abject poverty, just to get close to these trails and roads.

Thanks!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    $250K/year and you'll be reasonably comfortable...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    $250K/year and you'll be reasonably comfortable...

sweet! so the 500k that they're offering WILL keep up my lifestyle....

holding back the darkness
    Minimum wage might be a stretch if you're thinking about maintaining a standard of living above abject poverty.
    So we'll go with the minimum comfortable scenario...
    IMHO I think that if you can pull down something like 30k you could find nice little 1brdm place to rent and make a go of it. Rent is prolly gonna set you back around $600/month for something livable more if you want out of the hood. If you're trying to raise 4 bikes it's a great place with plenty-o-riding though, which if high on your list of priorities can be worth the sacrifice of a degree of living standard.
    **** censorship

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScreenName
    sweet! so the 500k that they're offering WILL keep up my lifestyle....
    Dude. You're golden.

500k will get you a nice little shack. As long as you're into Top Ramen and Cheesy Mac you're good to go!
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    Minimum wage might be a stretch if you're thinking about maintaining a standard of living above abject poverty.
    So we'll go with the minimum comfortable scenario...
    IMHO I think that if you can pull down something like 30k you could find nice little 1brdm place to rent and make a go of it. Rent is prolly gonna set you back around $600/month for something livable more if you want out of the hood. If you're trying to raise 4 bikes it's a great place with plenty-o-riding though, which if high on your list of priorities can be worth the sacrifice of a degree of living standard.
    Thanks, that's a helpful answer. Would probably be hoping to get into a 2 bedroom, and a few miles from Golden would be ok. (10 max?) I don't go out a lot so the "alcohol" bill wouldn't be too much, and I can live without going to the movies and stuff. Most of my expense comes from dining out, and then just crap I buy (again, that I can just not buy). So this is very helpful information. Thank you sir.

skillz to pay billz
    buy or rent?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    rent

All that being said I know people that survive quite comfortably on less than 30k. It's just about what you're willing to sacrifice, what you're willing to accept. There is plenty to do outside of your home around here, so if you're not planning on spending a whole lot of time there you don't need anything fancy. I don't know what your job offer is, but consider this: There are plenty of minimum-wage jobs and workers in the metro area, and they obviously survive. If you want to be here, get here. Although you might want to get in line, I hear they're getting ready to shut the gates to any more imports.
    **** censorship

Slopestyle Rider
    Ok, so I moved out here from Dallas a few years ago. Before I moved up here I made a lot of money, got a new car every other year, had a really nice house, the works... Now I make OK money working at Winter Park resort, drive a semi-nice car, have a smaller house... I've never been happier. The mountains change your priorities. Happiness takes priority over cash up here.

Where are you moving from? If it's California or someplace super-expensive, then you'll actually be able to better here in Colorado.

skillz to pay billz
    factor in $600-1000 in rent, all other costs are the same as most other places.

I hear Nederland is really the new IT place to be.....
    **** censorship

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ScreenName
    For those of you who have moved to or from the Lakewood/Golden area recently, how would you say the cost of living is, and to what are you comparing it?

I have a job offer, and quite frankly I really want to take it. It's way below where the offer should be however. While it's still a raise, I'm not sure it's something I could do, and I want to know firsthand what it's like living in this area (how much it costs).

These questions are vague, I know. But you can extrapolate what I'm asking, I think, and sort of give me general answers... for example, could a couple both making minimum wage (guess it's 7.02/hr) really live in this area? If not, what would YOU say it would take (per hour, or per year, whichever you know).

I really would love to move. Me and my 4 bikes are begging to. I'm sure I can make it work, but I don't especially want to go from comfortable living (relatively speaking) to abject poverty, just to get close to these trails and roads.

Thanks!
    Speaking in general terms, expect $10K-15K/year less than a comparable job in other parts of the county.

skillz to pay billz
    it's actually pretty cool up here. If you like space bet/ you and your neighbors, trail out the door, and smelly hippies

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail
    Speaking in general terms, expect $10K-15K/year less than a comparable job in other parts of the county.
    Is there a discernible reason for that, or is that just how it is? Either way, could you expound? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    factor in $600-1000 in rent, all other costs are the same as most other places.
    I'm coming from a pretty small town, so cost will be higher for me... that's my biggest consideration at this point.

..ouch
    Yeah.. sucks up here. I'd much rather be in the burbs.
    resized_IMG_6594.JPG

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    Ok, so I moved out here from Dallas a few years ago. Before I moved up here I made a lot of money, got a new car every other year, had a really nice house, the works... Now I make OK money working at Winter Park resort, drive a semi-nice car, have a smaller house... I've never been happier. The mountains change your priorities. Happiness takes priority over cash up here.
    Quality perspective
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

hmmmmm
    I moved out here from Long Island, NY so everything is cheaper (especially gas), and the beer is better.

As others have pointed out, the quality of life is where it's at. Driving to work and seeing the mountains every morning is a great way to start the day.

Colorado is very bike friendly...

p.s. I hope you like burritos... It's tough to get food that's not wrapped in a tortilla here.

eci
    i moved out here from eastern PA. I did a ton of research before moving here and it basically came down to about 1k$ more per month to live here then where i was living. Food is higher priced out here but rent is the same or cheaper then where i moved from.

The weather is better then anywhere else and theres some ok biking too

Thread Terrorist
    Golden is cool.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    May 2006
    When i moved out here i used one of the many salary calculators available on the net. Those can be very helpful when deciding where to move.
    Here is one of them I used.
    http://www.bestplaces.net/

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    great site, and useful info. somethings I didn't know. Thanks!!

Living the High Life
    I moved here from Milwaukee 2 years ago, and I lived near the downtown there, equivalent to Capital hill in this city. I was paying $915 a month for a 2 bedroom. Here I was paying $1155 for a two bedroom.

Food and beer cost more out here, gas is a little cheaper. But beer is REALLY cheap in Milwaukee, so that's not a fair comparison.

But as Joel said, the mountains make it worth it, even if you hit traffic on I-70 I think its still worth it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Actually despite what all these people say it's really crappy here. The snow sucks for snowboarding, the bike trials are completly unmaintained and rutted, confusing, and packed to no end, the traffic is horrible and there is a nasty smog that floats over the whole of Denvers only 30 sunny days per year. Other than that... yeah it's great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast