Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Moving to Denver - New Bike Help

Greetings all:

I am 35, 5'9', 175 pounds. I have been riding about 8 years and ride a prehistoric 99 Fisher Hoo Koo hard tail here in Michigan. At year end, I will be moving to Denver. I am in good shape and I like to ride the single track trails hard, but am not in to stunts, etc.

I am looking to get a new bike now. I hit a demo this weekend and rode Epic 29 and 26, Stumpjumper f/s 29 and Anthem x1 29er. I liked the Epic.

From what I understand, the Epic is not a good fit for riding in the Rockies. I have spoken to several shops and have been recommended the following:

Stumpjumper fsr expert 29er
    Giant Anthem x1 29er
    Superfly
    Hi-Fi

I think I am settled on 29er and full suspension out there but that is about it.

I am really looking for some feedback from folks out there because I am spending a ton here and want to get something that fits for where I will be riding. I appreciate any suggestions and input from the more experienced folks.

Thanks in advance for your time.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    We've reached our quota of Michiganders. Utah is pretty nice, though.

Epic is fine for the Rockies. So are those other ones. I'd personally wait until you get out here and demo more bikes - there are tons of spring demo programs here.

Free your heel...
    Before I moved to Denver from Cleveland a few years ago I picked up a nice XC 4 inch travel bike in preparation for my move, 4 inches of travel in Ohio is plenty of bike and overkill for 90% of the trails so I felt confident with my purchase. When I got to Denver and started in on the trails I regretted not getting the 5.5 inch travel bike, my advise is to demo bikes on trails you plan to ride in these parts.

Living the High Life
    "Good for the Rockies" hmmm I own a hard tail XC, 6" XC and a full on DH race bike. Guess what? They're all good.

Sounds like you have it down really, FS 29er. Now just look for one with the suspension you want and the price you want.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I just moved this year from Ohio. I had a trek 4500 when I moved here. I didn't even attempt to ride here with out upgrading, but I do see a lot of people rockin hardtails. I picked up a 2009 trek remedy 8 at a demo sale and the travel does help out a lot. I would recomend that bike or anything of that is similar. It works great on single track and can handle the big hits and techy sections out here..

Good luck on the search..and get ready for some mountain biking on actual mountains!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Denver= fixie
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakes121
    I didn't even attempt to ride here with out upgrading...
    This made me laugh for some reason
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    +1

Wait until you get out here and ride the terrain and demo some bikes- lots of great shops with great demo deals. I ride a 29er Epic and love it (and previously rode a 26er epic). 4" of travel is plenty for me (especially with the big wheels) but every rider has a different style and picks different lines. I am definitely more of an XC oriented guy, but the Epic handles the tech lines really well- it's just not meant for big drops and, as you say, "stunts."

killin clear creek
    Ditto on waiting. You may be surprised by what kind of riding you like when you get here. My riding is VERY different than it used to be when I lived in Wisco... and the bikes I run are very different as well obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Golden Bike Shop has a great demo program and I am pretty sure that the money you spend on the demo will go towards the bike purchase. They have tons of FS 29ers

mtbr member
    I rode my first year here (94) on a rigid, just about every trail in the Blue Book (Front Range MTB Trails) and had a smile on my face from ear to ear.

Me, I love my new Yeti ASR-5, but I also loved my Schwinn "ClearCreek" (Rigid), my Trek 930 HT and my Jamis Dakota HT.

If you like the Epic, but a damn Epic. Whoever told you it wasn't good for Colorado meant to say either "I hope I can sell you something more expensive" or "For what I ride, I would rather have something else."

For what it's worth, get a Yeti

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by BobGolden
    I rode my first year here (94) on a rigid, just about every trail in the Blue Book (Front Range MTB Trails) and had a smile on my face from ear to ear.
    Like me, you were much younger then.

Me, I love my new Yeti ASR-5, but I also loved my Schwinn "ClearCreek" (Rigid), my Trek 930 HT and my Jamis Dakota HT.
    Yup - I've loved every bike I've owned too.

If you like the Epic, but a damn Epic. Whoever told you it wasn't good for Colorado meant to say either "I hope I can sell you something more expensive" or "For what I ride, I would rather have something else."
    Yup - I know long-time residents that chose the Epic. But waiting is still a good policy and demo'ing on the trails the OP is likely to ride. He might find that a 6" 26-er really IS more fun.

For what it's worth, get a Yeti
    I dunno - he's talking big-box bikes... a Yeti will probably send him into sticker-shock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Michigan... I miss the Potawatomi trail... Put that thing out here and I'd ride it once a week. Of course, it's been 13 years or so since I've ridden it, so maybe it's way better in my mind than it is in reality. Tough not to love your first trail.

I brought a '97 Schwinn Homegrown out here from Michigan via a stop for college in Nebraska. I think I realized within a few rides here why everybody was going full suspension. It took a few years, but I did the typical Colorado thing and bought the Yeti 575. Love it, and 5 years later I'm looking at replacing it with another 575 next year.

Here's a question for you though... why buy the new bike now? I think you always get better customer service from the shop you buy your bike at, so why not wait until you get out here, go to one of the great shops we have and do it that way? I'd definitely support the suggestions to do some demos too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I live in Englewood... I just sold my Specialized Pitch and got a Giant Anthem X 29er...It is an excellent bike for Co front range.... At least give one a test ride..

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a Stumpjumper FSR expert. You are all right that I should wait till I get out there. Problem is, I have been putting off buying this darn thing, and I am just stoked about getting it now. I posed the Trail v. XC question to a bunch of different shops out there and they all steered me toward Train (stumpy, rumblefish, etc.) I rode an Anthem at the demo and thought it was nice. I was more partial to the Epic though compared to the Anthem and the Stumpy. I guess I just liked the lighter bike for what I was riding here in michigan. Maybe I will wait to buy, but I dont want another year on my 99 hard tail here

mtbr member
    It's a solid decision. With the Expert, you get the brain which will help with climbing and the SJ is a trail proven bike- it's kind of a short cockpit, so might take some getting used to coming from your HT, but I'm guessing you'll love it .

mtbr member
    Tires are the only thing that matters for Front Range riding. Nothing else.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shodan22
    Maybe I will wait to buy, but I dont want another year on my 99 hard tail here
    Don't wait! Summer is just starting (although it did snow today) and you're ready to buy. Why not ride a killer bike on very good MI trails the next few months? Sounds like the Epic is your favorite, so pull the trigger and don't look back. I ride with a guy on that bike and he tears it up. Maybe you get out here and decide your riding style is more suited to bigger travel bikes, you can always sell the Epic on CL and get another one.

I grew up near Brighton and I've ridden all those local trails. I had a HT, moved here and bought a FS 5" travel bike, it was cool, but now I mainly ride a 29" HT 1x1. It's just what I like to ride and race no matter where I live.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Nobody except us old geezers rides uphill around here anymore, your best bet is to get a DH bike, some nerf bars and a GF w/ a bike rack on her car.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a Stumpjumper FSR expert. You are all right that I should wait till I get out there. Problem is, I have been putting off buying this darn thing, and I am just stoked about getting it now. I posed the Trail v. XC question to a bunch of different shops out there and they all steered me toward Train (stumpy, rumblefish, etc.) I rode an Anthem at the demo and thought it was nice. I was more partial to the Epic though compared to the Anthem and the Stumpy. I guess I just liked the lighter bike for what I was riding here in michigan. Maybe I will wait to buy, but I dont want another year on my 99 hard tail here

Just so we're clear, you rode three bikes, liked one better than the others, didn't trust yourself and asked a bunch of people, and now are about to get the bike they thought would be best.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My problem was not understanding riding in Colorado. I have only rode in Michigan and demoed in Michigan. I didn't want to get something that just wouldn't work as well out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I could tell you what I think you should get but you should take that with a grain of salt along with all the other recommendations that you have received. Great info but at the end it's only an opinion.

Everyone tastes are different along with their bike recommendations. I use to ride motocross so everyone told me to go big travel. So i went out and bought one and 6 months later I was on a singlespeed HT 26er because some friends told me to steer clear of 29er's. 6 months later I am on singlespeed 29er even though many people told me that you can't ride singlespeeds all the time (sold my geared bike). I have learned to find things out for myself rather than taking other people's advice. It's great to hear everyone else's takes on bikes but it really boils down to what you like.

Some of the guys who gave you advice might know their stuff or they might be total weekend warriors who can't even change a flat. You never know.

My problem was not understanding riding in Colorado. I have only rode in Michigan and demoed in Michigan. I didn't want to get something that just wouldn't work as well out there.

Rigid in Evergreen
    I'd bring the HK out and ride it until you get dialed into the altitude, climbing, terrain, etc. You may get out here and decide that you'd rather ride a lift rather than grind out two hour epic climbs or maybe that you want to be the next unicycle mountain biker guy (yes, he exists).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Keep your bike until you try it out here...and give it a real chance. I second cbrock450's and topmounter's comments. Have patience. You'll know what you want once you get here and try the riding.

I moved here from Michigan three years ago with a rigid SS 26er. I saw everyone else riding FSs and I prematurely jumped on the bandwagon. Riding a FS is easy and I tricked myself into thinking I was a better rider than I was. I didn't really learn how to ride here until I put the rigid SS 26er back into the rotation. I'm not saying you should necessarily punish yourself by going rigid or SS (suspension is fun and so are gears), but I think it would be of greater benefit to first adapt your riding skills to new terrain than to distract yourself with a new bike...unless what you really want is a new bike.

Keep your hardtail. Ride it when you get here. Make some friends and pick their brains.

Michigan trails are awesome! especially the Tree Farm! The Front Range doesn't have nearly as much purpose-built MTB trails as Michigan. Soon you'll be out here complaining of trail user conflicts thinking about riding a flowy trail through shaded woods...

...just kidding you'll love it out here. Don't let the natives scare you off.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Goddammit. I was supposed to be the LAST Michigander allowed into Colorado. My Coloradoan friends *assured* me I would be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast