Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Moving to CO, need advice on good location

I am looking into taking a job in Fort Collins, Boulder, or possibly Denver. I enjoy Freeride/North Shore type riding. Nothing crazy, skinnys, drops etc. I've been riding mostly Western WA and BC lately. I am hoping to be close enough to a decent bike park (anything close to Whistler in CO??) within an hour or 2 drive.

Of those three cities, which would you chose to live in, considering all factors?

Thanks for the advice!
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    For me, the short answer would be Fort Collins. Realize that housing prices are higher in Boulder than Fort Collins or most parts of Denver. As far as bike parks, Winter Park and Keystone are good, although nothing really compares top Whistler!

Moderator Moderator
    If you want the best riding out your door - Fort Collins would be my#1, Golden #1 in the Denver Metro. Fort Collins prices are almost 1/2 that of Golden I bet though right now.

Denver/Boulder area is an hour closer to the Summit County trails if you'll be driving to the freeride park trails or if you like to ski a lot. Fort Collins really doesn't have any big hit type of stuff, but if you want to put less than 2,000 miles on a vehicle a year then Fort Collins is the place. Everything Denver has you might possibly need in town is less than a 3 mile drive (unless you like to shop at Nordstroms- the one shop my wife misses) unless you live outside of town.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

Living the High Life
    Boulder = college kids
    Denver = big city
    Golden = small town next to big city-but doesn't feel like a suburb
    Fort Collins = not sure, my only friends up there are in college

You really can't go wrong. Resorts...Keystone, Vail, Winter Park, Sol Vista. All less than 2 hours.

And for everyone else, how many of these threads do you think we'll get this year? I believe its been 4 in two weeks already.
    Last edited by Ithnu; 01-16-2009 at 08:06 AM.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Maybe if people used the search function and people stopped answering the same questions in every thread there'd be less of them. Since there's really not a whole bunch of action it doesn't clutter the forum that bad and they're easy to ignore.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Brush has some KILLER freeride & Northshore type riding.

Thread Terrorist
    Why not move to Vancouver? Why come here?

Fort collins doesn't offer the Freeride / DH scene as much as the I-70 corridor would.

Please search through the forum and inquire about the same question... Its been asked a million times already.

Golden is where I park, but it is pricey.

IE

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle
    Maybe if people used the search function and people stopped answering the same questions in every thread there'd be less of them.
    Yeah, but I respond out of boredom. And I hope it gets side tracked into an entertaining discussion. Lately we've been ripping on Texans, how about people from the East Coast?
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Thread Terrorist
    Perhaps we should make a sticky: Moving to colorado, here's your answer.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    How about "Don't move here, its full of Texans".

This Texan at my work, who picked up snowboarding when she moved here last year, jumped into a conversation about a weekend trip to Jackson Hole, and she started telling us about how cold her forehead got the previous weekend. We both kinda laughed, she didn't get it. A Texan who butted her way into a conversation telling us about the gap in between her hat and goggles You can't make this sh!t up!

Really though, the sticky is a great idea.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Only if it makes it clear that we're full and there is a strict one in one out policy. Two out one in for Texans and Californians.

Thread Terrorist
    What the @### is it with Front Range colorado? Jeezuz people, move somewhere the biking is better! I'd live in Grand Junction if I could.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought
    I am looking into taking a job in Fort Collins, Boulder, or possibly Denver. I enjoy Freeride/North Shore type riding. Nothing crazy, skinnys, drops etc. I've been riding mostly Western WA and BC lately. I am hoping to be close enough to a decent bike park (anything close to Whistler in CO??) within an hour or 2 drive.

Of those three cities, which would you chose to live in, considering all factors?

Thanks for the advice!
    Seriously, stay where you're at. You'll be dissappointed at how the anal's of the biking world do magical work on 'anti DH / FR'. Its sad really, but the XCer's seem to rule the nest around here, along with government and landowners that fear lawsuits.

We have a few bike parks, Keystone, Winter Park, Sol Vista that are fun.... but NOTHING like Wistler what so ever.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Hold on...IE is talking people out of moving here?

Thread Terrorist
    Golden sucks. Don't move here.

I'm paving the way Athalliah, I think I owe you.

Yappy little dog!
    Golden sucks. Don't move here.

I'm paving the way Athalliah, I think I owe you.
    Yeah, go to Phoenix.

Fact of life folks. Everyone is going to have to get used to this state growing. I don't know if anyone caught the news last night, but Charles Schwab is adding 500 tech jobs to the Metro area with a $75,000 average salary.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/mone...24/detail.html

skillz to pay billz
    75K buck chuck.

not to be mstaken for chuck n' buck

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    75K buck chuck.

not to be mstaken for chuck n' buck

Yes, but that is the median. So there'e 248 positions that pay more, I guess. I was never that good in statistics.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    I was never that good in statistics.
    Stats is easy. Pick the number you want to represent your findings and manipulate the data until reflects the desired result.

ps...average is your mean, not the median.

median= number in the middle, eg: 1,2,3,4,5; the number in the middle is 3.

mean (or average) = 1+2+3+4+5=15/ total number of values (5) = 3

Okay, bad example, as the median=mean

mtbr member
    Yeah, I saw the other posts. Job openings are quite specific, hence why I listed the 3 places (rather Boulder than Denver). Hence, different and much more specific than the other posts.

About the flames, it doesn't bother me.

"Why not move to Van": I am thinking about Vancouver as well, but it would require me to change several things in my job, not the least of which is licensing in another country. Its so damn wet all the time here, moss grows like a carpet on the sidewalks and the sides of buildings. A friend said he counted 100 days straight without blue sky...Plus, I would have to start playing hockey, and likely lose a few teeth. Thats not so good for picking up chicks, though who knows maybe in Canada a toothless grin is sexy?

Oh, and I agree F^%$ the Texans!
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

mtbr member
    Only if it makes it clear that we're full and there is a strict one in one out policy. Two out one in for Texans and Californians.

Don't mind them they just don't understand Us TEXANS . I had someone come in to my store the other day from Palm Springs CA and man she was a joke and had no clue. They just moved here a week ago and they cant find alot of winter clothes in the mall.I was like DUH the stores are starting to get spring stuff. ( I was saying in my head your to dumb to understand and need to go the F back to CA. )

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    Stats is easy. Pick the number you want to represent your findings and manipulate the data until reflects the desired result.

ps...average is your mean, not the median.

median= number in the middle, eg: 1,2,3,4,5; the number in the middle is 3.

mean (or average) = 1+2+3+4+5=15/ total number of values (5) = 3

Okay, bad example, as the median=mean

When I used to work for the NJ Dept of Ed, they would give us a list of numbers and tell us find the mean, median, max, etc. I would just write a SAS procedure and it would do it.

.proc mean 12,34, 233, 23, 22, 233;

Moderator Moderator

DONE! OK, this is gonna live at the top for a while.

Brett
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    DONE! OK, this is gonna live at the top for a while.

Brett
    YAY!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

FR is XC

You've really got to go to the ski areas dude, and now its ski?board time, not FR/DH time. The front range is an XC type place. Its called the Front Range, not the North Shore.

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast