The Martian
    Jan 2007

Moving to Boulder & Buying a bike! Help?

Hi all! I'll be moving to Boulder in August for grad school. I'll also be in the market for a new steed shortly (as soon as I sell my current ride which is too big).

I don't really know what I want and don't know what I'm up against trail-wise either. I'm an XC rider and a bit of a wimp (I like both wheels on the ground TYVM). I'm also crazy short and hard to fit (4'11"). I *think* I want something that's smaller, twitchier, shorter wheelbase, more responsive than my current Cannondale Rush. No idea as to: full suspension/hardtail, aluminum/carbon/steel.

I was wondering what you all that have ridden the terrain recommend? Is full suspension nearly a requirement or just "nice"? Are there plenty of XC type trails with some fun sections to play on but no crazy downhills/jumps/etc or am I going to have to learn all mountain? Would I be insane to get a race oriented XC bike and try to ride it in the area?

Bikes I'm contemplating/want to ride: Trek Fuel ex8, Rocky Mountain Element (wow this comes in a tiny tiny frame!!), Orbea Alma, Titus Racer X, Custom Steel frame from Waltworks, Scott Scale, Ibis Mojo, Jamis Dragon, On-one inbred 456.... (price range 2-2.5k...I *might* be able to stretch that for the *perfect* bike, but I shouldn't)

As you can see quite the list and they run the gammut of full suspension and hardtail and all the frame materials as well...

I'm hoping some terrain input might help in my decision?!?
    Thanks for any insight; I realize I'm probably making some impossible demands!!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Race oriented full suspension.

Stiff yet compliant
    You will find people around here on 6" full suspension bikes and others on fully rigid singlespeeds. And they all ride the same trails.
    I don't think anyone can tell you what you "should" get. There is a lot of personal preference and your own interpretation of what the local trails require.
    I would recommend coming here first, check things out and then decide what you want to get.
    You can't swing a dead cat in Boulder without hitting a bikeshop. Quite a few custom builders around as well. You will have plenty of options.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Race oriented full suspension.
    Ditto on this. Keeping things light would be ideal as a bike like a Nomad might weigh up to 1/3 of your body weight. That would SUCK to climb with!
    I wonder tho... If you're looking for a flickable bike, if a 24" wheel would be more ideal? Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

good climber

seems everybody is going for a 6" bike--on this board anyway. A raceable full suspension is nice but for Boulder riding a HT works quite well. I ride XC and have a Blur XC and an older HT. Gotta tell you, I love mtbing but the road riding in Boulder is really fantastic. I spend more time road riding than mtbing so think about that.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    seems everybody is going for a 6" bike--on this board anyway. A raceable full suspension is nice but for Boulder riding a HT works quite well. I ride XC and have a Blur XC and an older HT. Gotta tell you, I love mtbing but the road riding in Boulder is really fantastic. I spend more time road riding than mtbing so think about that.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    LOL, I almost thought that picture was for me Skared!

Thanks for the opinions everyone. Glad to hear an XC bike won't have me in deep trouble

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CougarTrek
    LOL, I almost thought that picture was for me Skared!

Thanks for the opinions everyone. Glad to hear an XC bike won't have me in deep trouble
    XC will be OK since you'll be pretty light. My 185lbs butt on a light XC will ruin it in a couple of rides even tho I ride smooth. The Front Range trails are much rougher than my old stomping ground in Steamboat. It's like most trails up there have carpet on them...soooo much smoother!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

good luck

You'll see when you get here. Don't think I got the joke Shtles but I know you have a good sense of humor so I'll go with that.

VooDoo user.
    The PIVOT Mach 4 comes in an XXS and is awesome. The price will exceed your spending limit, however if its the perfect fit and has the best performance wouldn't it be worth it?

GO visit the Peeps over at Sports Garage. They have a few options for you including the Rocky Mountain Element you spoke of.

Both are great 4" travel XC bikes that RIP!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    XC will be OK since you'll be pretty light. My 185lbs butt on a light XC will ruin it in a couple of rides even tho I ride smooth. The Front Range trails are much rougher than my old stomping ground in Steamboat. It's like most trails up there have carpet on them...soooo much smoother!
    Hogwash.

I'm at 175 and have been riding the same "rediculously light, pop-can framed" Giant XtC Team since 2002 on all of the FR trails. Granted the last couple years have seen less miles than previous years, but you'd be FINE on a XC bike.

Unless you're not really that smooth.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    You'll see when you get here. Don't think I got the joke Shtles but I know you have a good sense of humor so I'll go with that.
    Every time someone rides more road than trail, God kills a kitten.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CougarTrek
    Bikes I'm contemplating/want to ride: Trek Fuel ex8, Rocky Mountain Element (wow this comes in a tiny tiny frame!!), Orbea Alma, Titus Racer X, Custom Steel frame from Waltworks, Scott Scale, Ibis Mojo, Jamis Dragon, On-one inbred 456.... (price range 2-2.5k...I *might* be able to stretch that for the *perfect* bike, but I shouldn't)

I love my Racer X (I am 5'2" and ride an XS, but there is also an XXS), but you're going to have trouble getting one new in your price range (or used in your size).

FYI, I tripled my budget after I test rode it.

P.S. Welcome to Boulder!