mtbr member

... and if we just ... Moving - Best location for riding near universities?

My gf and I are considering moving to CO and we need to be within commuting distance to either boulder or fort collins (she needs to attend one of the universities).

Can you guys help me out and tell me where the best locations are close to some great riding? Here in socal its perfect for me (well, except for the housing prices and superficial OC culture) because I'm within 30-40 minutes of a 5,500ft mountain on one end, 10 minutes away from 3 state parks with great singletrack to the west, and 20 minutes north of my workplace which has some so-so singletrack (enough to get a workout) I ride after work.

I want to be in a similar situation out in CO so I can continue to ride on the week days and do longer rides on the weekend and stay in shape, live a healthy lifestyle, come home bloody from time to time, etc.

FWIW I'll be motoring around on a 29'er singlespeed

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

co biking

fort collins has put in a couple of new trails in that area from what i have heard. much to the dismay of many out of towners, you don't just head out the door to epics if you live on the front range. down near golden, you would have the most access right outside your door i suppose. some of the trails down there can be ridden most of the year as well. in the mtns, trails are open for a short time during the summer depending on elevation. closer to boulder, the few short mtn trails we do have are not ridable year round.

in short, if you want to ride nov through april, you will most likely be road riding or driving quite a ways to find dry trails

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If you moved to Lyons, which is north of Boulder about 15 minutes by car, you would be able to ride to the Hall Ranch trail most of the year without travelling by car to get to a trailhead. Some consider Hall Ranch one of the best trails along the Front Range. I ride it most days and really like the variety of terrain, technical challenges, and beautiful scenery it provides. Check it out under the trail reviews section of mtbr.com (It may be under "bitterbrush").

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    To read reviews of Hall Ranch, go to Reviews, Trails, Colorado, Western Slope (for some reason this trail was mistakenly included with Western Slope trails although it is a Frnt Range trail).

Also, being located in Lyons gives you access to CU or CSU, Boulder or Fort Collins.

slow
    Fort Collins - ride from town. My house is <1/2 mile from trailheads and <3 miles to campus.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You guys are way too nice. You know this site has a SEARCH FUNCTION. There was just a hudge thread a few weeks ago comparing the merits between Boulder and Fort Fun.

what nice teeth you have
    After 3 years now I am just now starting to figure out what all is in Lory and Horestooth Mtn Park. Those are some glorious trails. Check out this thread. University of Colorado at Boulder

cheeseburger in paradise
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    Fort Collins - ride from town. My house is <1/2 mile from trailheads and <3 miles to campus.
    What he said. I'm 3 miles from campus and 1 mile from many miles of singletrack, that link up to many more miles of single track (which is why I moved here).

I noticed you said "commuting distance". Fort Collins is still a very reasonably priced place to live which equals zero commute. No need to live in a cheaper city and commute in. The same can't be said of Boulder where a "starter home" is twice the price. I moved (back) here from the left coast a year ago and we spent less money and got twice the house.

And being a CSU grad, I'm of course a bit partial to the Fort. Go Rams!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input I will start researching those trails. I hope to get out there in the spring time when I have some time off.

I figured I'd need a commute since the max house I can afford is about 300k (first time home buyer), though I'd feel more comfortable with 250k. I guess I'm just used to the local motion of "if you arent' rich, you have to commute".

Seems like a lot of DHling going on from that thread. Big travel bikes! Where's all the XC crowd?

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by tribune
    ...I figured I'd need a commute since the max house I can afford is about 300k (first time home buyer), though I'd feel more comfortable with 250k. I guess I'm just used to the local motion of "if you arent' rich, you have to commute".
    As of 9:00pm tonight, there are 226 homes currently available on the MLS within a 5 mile radius of CSU campus that are under $250k and have 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a 2 car garage.

Quote Originally Posted by tribune
    Seems like a lot of DHling going on from that thread. Big travel bikes! Where's all the XC crowd?
    [Raises hand] Part of the XC crowd right here.