Cynical Bystander

Mountain State Cup this summer?

Just wondering if many people here are thinking of racing in that series. I'm a newbie DHer and am thinking of doing it. Looks like some badass places to have courses at, Eldora, Telluride, Monarch, etc... For you more experienced racers, what would be some decent training to help get myself faster, and have better overall skills that are needed in racing? Any tips or whatever would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

ride

not a dher, but...

Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Just wondering if many people here are thinking of racing in that series. I'm a newbie DHer and am thinking of doing it. Looks like some badass places to have courses at, Eldora, Telluride, Monarch, etc... For you more experienced racers, what would be some decent training to help get myself faster, and have better overall skills that are needed in racing? Any tips or whatever would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Mtn States Cup this year definitely sounds like a good series. Keep in mind that not all venues are gauranteed to be DH. Some will be Mtn Cross, but it hasn't been decided yet. From what I've heard, the Eldora race will, more than likely, be a Mtn Cross (or 4x or whatever).

I've been racing XCs for many, many moons. Many of the same principles apply. When you get to an elite level, there will always be someone that makes an impossible line look easy, or someone who's undeniably focused and talented. That can be frustrating and hard to overcome. In the non elite levels, however, there's a bunch of guys going head to head with about the same skill set. In every facet of non elite mtn bike racing, I've always seen more technically skilled riders lose to guys that have superior all around fitnesss. For new racers in most classes, there is no shortage of technical skill level - it's the fit that tend to emerge on top, regardless of discipline.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

all end up here someday

I think the best tip...

Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12

...is to just log in the hours practicing. If you are interested in some coaching, Gene Hamilton ( pro racer, good guy ) offers some various coaching camps that are not too expensive - he'll get you started on the basics if you need them. Check out http://www.betterride.net/downhill.html for more info. I agree that the people who put in lots of time in doing interval training and such probably have an advantage over us schmucks who tend to rely on skills/gravity to get downhill.

You never know on the race courses either. A couple years back, a DH race was held at Copper Mountain - and it was more of an XC race than anything else, I don't think there was a rock on the course. Most of the races have been consistent good courses like Moab and Keystone though.

MSC is a good series to get your feet wet in. If you've been riding DH bikes for a while, but haven't raced, you might consider entering sport class. My buddy who just bought a bullit last year entered the beginner class with no racing experience and his previous bike was a 3 inch travel Gary Fisher, and took first at Sol Vista.

Good luck, perhaps we'll see you around at some races in a few months!
    If I get lost, don't go too fast!