Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Mountain Lion at Waterton

I ride the trails up Waterton canyon a ton during the mtn biking season, and like a lot of us, (as has been discussed on these forums) I always have always had it in the back of my head that a mountain lion could be lurking. I've always said that I've never seen a mountain lion before, but I'm sure they've seen me. It hasn't kept me from riding solo on those trails as I know the odds of an attack are so low, but the thought of a predator in the woods is a little freaky.

A good friend of mine just about ran into what he described as a "huge" mountain lion with his car on Waterton road just in front of the bridge that goes over the river about 2 weeks ago. That's the first of someone telling me they've actually seen one around there. Then this weekend I parked my car by the bridge and went downstream about 50-75 yards to do some fishing. There was still some snow on the walking trail and I saw large paw tracks, looked almost too big to be a dog. I went home and pulled up mountain lion tracks on the internet and the tracks matched exactly what I saw.

I'm thinking of attaching a knife to my front camelbak strap this year for rides (just kidding, kindof).

Anyone else seen a mountain lion up there?

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I've seen bears "close up" there and I've seen millions of deer. Where there are deer, there will be mountain lions. My guess is that they are well fed, so hopefully I won't have to deal with one up close and personal-like. I do carry a leatherman on my chest strap of the camelbak. I doubt it will do much, but never know... besides, the leatherman comes in handy quite often!

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Nice! What do you think it would take to lure them a mile south to Roxborough, so they could devour my neighbor's yapping-@ss Yorkies? I've given up hope that an owl will carry one off.
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Leave the knife at home - you'll be dead before you knew what hit you. Like someone said, it's lucky they are well fed. Another case where it's lucky animals are nicer to us then we are to them.

surfer w/out waves
    making a lot of noise pedaling down a trail will scare most predators off... Remember that they know if they get injured taking down prey it's not good... And yes if a Mt. Lion wants to eat you... you're as good as dead. Just like the sharks I dive and surf with...

FYI: cat's have retractable claws so you shouldn't see the nails in the tracks except in deep mud or snow (maybe) some wolves have HUGE paws but you can almost always see the nails.

It's a shame that there have only been a few confirmed sightings of the FL panther over the last decade w/out one being a result of roadkill...
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government!..." -- Dennis the Peasant

skillz to pay billz
    I saw one crossing the road as I came around a corner. He had been feeding on a deer, possibly roadkill, and heard me coming, crossed the road, and jumped the guard rail and down the embankment. it was awesome to see it.

surfer w/out waves
    only posting this to show what a "big cat" can do... Not to start an argument over why they were doing what they were doing...

I absolutely love it when animals show us what they can really do!!!
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government!..." -- Dennis the Peasant

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    I carry a gun just in case I get attacked by a lion....
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Inflexable...
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    Nice! What do you think it would take to lure them a mile south to Roxborough, so they could devour my neighbor's yapping-@ss Yorkies? I've given up hope that an owl will carry one off.
    Deer meat wrapped Yorkie? On a stick?

Lions are everywhere you just don't ever see them. As was said, if there are claws in the prints on the ground they are probably not feline...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member

Wink

i carry a lion in case confronted by gun...
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Anybody notice that a huge boulder slid down and took out the second bathroom on the main WC road? Cool. I thought I saw a lion there and shot at it a few times but it turned out to be a worker wrapping yellow caution tape around the toilet.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

surfer w/out waves
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    i carry a lion in case confronted by gun...

Perpetually single track
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    worker wrapping yellow caution tape around the toilet.
    Don't leave us hanging now...did ya get him?
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

VooDoo user.
    THAT'S WHAT THEY GET FOR MESSIN WITH A TIGER. duh!!!

I thin that all of you who carry a weapon wouldn't even ahve a chance to use it if a Cat wanted to git cha. Chances are you won't see it till it's too late. Good luck though.

Where's Lyle?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If you are very worried about lions carry vinegar in a spray bottle. A wildlife reserve near here told me that when they go into big cat cages they carry vinegar all the time. Cats of all sizes simply cant stand the smell.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pcoady
    Leave the knife at home - you'll be dead before you knew what hit you. Like someone said, it's lucky they are well fed. Another case where it's lucky animals are nicer to us then we are to them.
    For the record, it has happened in the area, and a knife did help...

28 April. Andy Peterson, 24, an experienced hiker from Littleton, was attacked in Roxborough State Park, Colorado, while hiking alone in the 3,000 acre park on the Carpenter Peak trail about 2 to 3 miles west of the visitor center.

The hiker came upon the lion, who was "chewing on a stick", while descending a trail. A 30 minute standoff ended when the lion attacked as the hiker attempted to "retreat up the trail". The lion retreated after it was stabbed once with the 3" blade of a Swiss army knife, attacked again, and then left after the hiker "jabbed his thumb in the lion's eye". The hiker received deep cuts to his head and face, and was hospitalized in fair and stable condition.

Jim Jones, an area wildlife manager for the Colorado Division of Wildlife, said that the lion probably wasn't driven away by the hiker's action, but instead "just lost interest", since lions are used to receiving wounds from their prey

Wildlife officials believe the reason the cat attacked was that it was young and learning how to hunt, based on the description provided by Peterson. (Denver Post, 5/1/98, B-01; 5/6/98, B-03)

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    Don't leave us hanging now...did ya get him?
    Do I look like a guy who misses....

.........many meals?

skillz to pay billz
    never get off the boat

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Here we go again

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyhalter
    If you are very worried about lions carry vinegar in a spray bottle. A wildlife reserve near here told me that when they go into big cat cages they carry vinegar all the time. Cats of all sizes simply cant stand the smell.
    Now that's the 1st good idea I've heard for lions in a long time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Car?

Quote Originally Posted by arborider
    A good friend of mine just about ran into what he described as a "huge" mountain lion with his car ......

What kind of car was the lion driving? A Mercury Cougar?

Screw the vinegar. Get some bear spray. It works on Lions, too.

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyhalter
    Holy crap! A solution that might actually work! [/thread]

..... what heck are we going to b*tch about now?
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Wait a minute, back on topic. There are MOUNTAIN LIONS in CO??!! Seriously?! Christ O'Mighty, I'm not leaving the couch!!

How's the fishing up there? What are they taking? Any size? After a 3 year hiatus I'm gonna have to start fly fishing again, must be getting old.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    Wait a minute, back on topic. There are MOUNTAIN LIONS in CO??!! Seriously?! Christ O'Mighty, I'm not leaving the couch!!
    Watch out for rabid marmots too.

Armchair Sasquatcheror

Calling Lyle Crumbstorm?

Wha? Lyle? I think I'll do a little more research on this vinegar thing. Thanks to everyone who was out riding Apex last night, the trail looks like s!@t.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast