holding back the darkness

Mountain Lion sighting @ Bobcat Ridge

For you NoCO folks:
    Just noticed this posted at the trailhead:
    and of course there are also bears and chupracabras active in this area.
    Anyway... we all know that these critters are out there, and we've seen the recent posts from Cent Cone and others... Just another friendly reminder to RIDE WITH FIREARMS!
    Just kidding.. Just be aware out there. The new Ginny Trail and whatever the non-bike side is called have put a lot of human activity in areas where there was little before. Probably a bit of a shock to our furry friends. 29ers try to keep your 26er friends close at all times, lions usually go after the smaller group members.
    **** censorship

friend of Apex
    Crazy seein a Mtn LION on BOBCAT ridge, I mean, why cant we get these ridges named right?
    C.Cone has a lot of open area; hence lots of sightings of animals in the distance. They are out there in the Enchanted Forest area, just lurking in the trees and we dont see them.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Front Range, Colorado
    [QUOTE=WKD-RDR]Crazy seein a Mtn LION on BOBCAT ridge, I mean, why cant we get these ridges named right?

My thought's exactly. Can someone please contact Mr. Mountain Lion and warn him that he's on the wrong ridge.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 11-01-2007 at 12:20 PM.

"Oldfart from Wayback"

There used to be a "long time" family of them @ HTMP

They lived at the S end of the Rock. I saw several back in my 'hang gliding" days while flying/driving around Masonville.The last one I saw was stalking me up at Crosier.

HIKE!
    I'll bet the Bobcats have been at Cougar Ridge lately. Changing things up, keeps the prey on their feet.

Jackass
    So whats on chupacabra ridge right now? Toads?
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

Phknbiknrid'n
    Jun 2005

They don't look scary

Looking at the photo of the sign, it kind of looks like the cat on top is chasing a ball and the lower one is getting ready to pinch a loaf. That's not so scary.
    Chris

"They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time."

"Oldfart from Wayback"

Think again

Quote Originally Posted by cellmer
    Looking at the photo of the sign, it kind of looks like the cat on top is chasing a ball and the lower one is getting ready to pinch a loaf. That's not so scary.

"1991

January. Scott Lancaster, 18, was killed while jogging just a few hundred yards from his high school in Idaho Springs, Colorado. The lion dragged the 130 pound boy 200 yards uphill before killing him, evidenced by the uprooted vegetation along the way. The lion was found feeding on his body three days later. This is the first death ever in Colorado from a lion attack. (MLCSP; Denver Post 5/1/98,"

"1995

Photographer Moses Street was jogging on a popular trail in Rocky Mountain National Park near Estes Park, CO, when he glanced over his shoulder and saw a cougar about to pounce on him. The cougar backed off when Street yelled and waved his arms. Street used a large tree branch to stop a second and third attack.

Street climbed a tree and had to keep using the branch to keep the lion from advancing up the tree. Park Rangers rescued him after Street's girlfriend alerted them."

"1997

17 July. 10-year-old Mark David Miedema was killed by an 88 pound adult female cougar shortly after 4:30 pm while returning from a hike to Cascade Falls on the North Inlet Trail on the west side of Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado. Mark had raced ahead of his family on the well-traveled trail in order to see if animals had eaten the peanuts he had left on the trail on the way up. Mark was only 3-4 minutes ahead of his parents, but he was out of their sight; his family arrived to see his feet and legs extending onto the trail from adjacent brush. The cougar attempted to drag him away before fleeing. Mark died from choking on his own vomit, not from his wounds from the attack. Mark had tried to fight the cougar, and had scratches on his face and puncture wounds on his face, neck and scalp."

20 October. A 20-year-old mountain bike rider was attacked by a cougar at Walker Ranch Open Space near Flagstaff Mountain, in the hills west of Boulder, Colorado. The lion lunged and "took a swipe" at him, then stopped and snarled with its ears laid back. The biker used his bike to protect him until the lion backed off. However, as the man continued slowly down the trail, the lion followed him for a short distance until finally leaving. (CWR)"

"1998

28 April. Andy Peterson, 24, an experienced hiker from Littleton, was attacked in Roxborough State Park, Colorado, while hiking alone in the 3,000 acre park on the Carpenter Peak trail about 2 to 3 miles west of the visitor center.

The hiker came upon the lion, who was "chewing on a stick", while descending a trail. A 30 minute standoff ended when the lion attacked as the hiker attempted to "retreat up the trail". The lion retreated after it was stabbed once with the 3" blade of a Swiss army knife, attacked again, and then left after the hiker "jabbed his thumb in the lion's eye". The hiker received deep cuts to his head and face, and was hospitalized in fair and stable condition.

Jim Jones, an area wildlife manager for the Colorado Division of Wildlife, said that the lion probably wasn't driven away by the hiker's action, but instead "just lost interest", since lions are used to receiving wounds from their prey "

"2004

08 August. At 8:45 p.m. 50-year-old Annette Hayes, a nurse and nursing instructor at Pueblo Community College, was bitten and scratched by a cougar as she sat on her deck with her husband and dog at her home near Florida Mesa in the Durango area in Southwest Colorado. The Hayeses moved to La Plata County from Pennsylvania only about a year ago. Hayes and husband, 59-year-old David, were in identical high-back wicker chairs on their hillside deck that overlooks the Animas River. They were both looking west, watching the light fade over the hills across the river. Jesse, their 13-year-old shepherd/husky mix who is deaf and losing her sight, was at rest between them. Without warning, Hayes felt weight on her shoulders and pain. "I jumped up and screamed, 'Something got me' and I ran into the house," Hayes said. "I could feel blood."

David Hayes, director of teacher education at Fort Lewis College, caught a glimpse of something behind his wife, heard a thud and saw the blood as Annette dashed by him. She went inside to stop the bleeding, and David Hayes reported, "I didn't see anything on the deck, so I looked over the edge and saw a mountain lion sauntering down the steep embankment. I'd never seen a mountain lion, except in photos, but this definitely was a mountain lion."

For a few hundred more attacks and kills in theUS and Canada, THIS makes for some scary reading.

Thread Terrorist
    interesting reports...

We had another mountain lion sighting this morning. A cub came down into our neighbors backyard. Of course, we all open to Mt Galbraith openspace. The wife and I saw two lions the other morning crossing the trail....

Not that anyone cares....

Phknbiknrid'n
    Jun 2005
    That's kind of a downer.
    Chris

"They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time."