mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Mountain Lion Encounter on Green Mtn. 10/21

A friend of mine had the following mountain lion encounter on Green Mountain Friday morning about 6 AM. He called Open Space to report it and was directed to the City of Lakewood offices. Unfortunately he had to leave a voice message.

In the first brushy ravine right after you start heading East on the trail after you come up the road/trail head at Alameda and Bear Creek. I was making a loop and dipped into that brushy ravine carrying a lot of speed and heard something make a ton of noise off to my left in the brush. Stopped and spotted two very bright eyes staring back at me out of the brush about 20 yards away. I then had a 3 to 5 minute standoff with it advancing and then backing away 4 times when I would yell before I decided to slowly hiking up out of the ravine to get out in the open. I was quite concerned it was not going to end well for a couple of minutes when it was crouched down sneaking through brush towards me. All I can figure is it didn't think I could see his eyes with my light shining on them.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007

Lakewood Parks investigated and this is all they found.

mtbr member
    So you saw a pair of eyes in the dark, in an area known to have coyotes all over the damn place, and you assume it was a mountain lion? Did you actually see anything but the eyes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Green eyes = cat
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    Green eyes = cat
    No, cat = green, but not all green = cat. Coyote = green/gold. Deer = green.

So, could've been a cat (not likely), or a coyote (more likely), or a deer (very likely).

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    No, cat = green, but not all green = cat. Coyote = green/gold. Deer = green.

So, could've been a cat (not likely), or a coyote (more likely), or a deer (very likely).
    How sure are you about that? It might depend on what type of light is shining in their eyes? halide vs LED?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    How sure are you about that? It might depend on what type of light is shining in their eyes? halide vs LED?

You may have noticed I didn't say mountain lions' eyes didn't glow green, I said not all green eyes are mountain lions. Showing a bunch of pix of mountain lions doesn't prove anything.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    "crouched down sneaking through brush towards me."- sounds like deer behavior to me.
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    He saw the actual cat about twenty feet away from him,

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was being sarcastic, sounded like a cat the way it was described. I saw one while night riding up at Crosier a couple of years ago that acted very similar, FWIW. Green eyes reflected in my lights.
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coyotegulch View Post
    He saw the actual cat about twenty feet away from him,
    "crouched down sneaking through brush towards me."- sounds like deer behavior to me.
    I asked earlier if you saw it or not, as you didn't mention that in your OP. All you said you saw was "eyes", and given that terrain and that time of morning you wouldn't even be able to tell how high off the ground the eyes were, so I assumed when you said it was "crouching" you were assuming it was "crouching", and it could've just as easily been a coyote as a mountain lion. A coyote would more likely moved around when spotted, whereas a mountain lion would not have been so likely to move. Mountain lions don't make a ton of noise.

There's a reason most folks never, ever see a mountain lion, no matter how much time they spend in mountain lion habitat. Without a picture I'm not so sure you did, either. Unless, of course, you were dealing with a really stupid, not-too-stealthy mountain lion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    OK, you win.

Loser
    Mar 2008
    I carry these with me on every ride now.

The kittys come get a treat and then go off to play with the other forest animals.

mtbr member
    I was being sarcastic, sounded like a cat the way it was described. I saw one while night riding up at Crosier a couple of years ago that acted very similar, FWIW. Green eyes reflected in my lights.
    I was riding the trails at Bear Creek Lake Park this afternoon, and shortly after passing a "You're entering into coyote country" sign, I saw some movement in the grass about 30 meters away. Couldn't make out the color of its eyes, but the tail was white and I'm pretty sure it was at least a 6 point, if not 8 point, buck. It crouched down a little, I think it was going to pounce on me.

Good thing I wasn't racing in South Africa.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    I carry these with me on every ride now.

The kittys come get a treat and then go off to play with the other forest animals.
    One treat sates a mountain lion? Or the whole can? I'll have to give that a try.

Trips for Kids Denver
    A buddy of mine lives in the neighborhood on the North side of Green Mountain and one of his neighbors had a bear destroy a trash can that they "used" to keep in the backyard and another neighbor saw a mountain lion walk through their back yarda few mornings ago.

Ride with a buddy or two for sure if you ride late or early. Definately don't be the sweep rider on a T.I.T.S. ride. he he
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

The Notorious S.L.O

Sounds like the same area

that I came across a recent/fresh kill a few years back, I came upon this bloody mess in the trail, slowed down to figure out what it was, it was the back section of a deer, both legs and rump with a bloody drag mark going off the trail.
    Once the light bulb went on, I bolted out of there, did not want my stopping to been seen as a challenge for his dinner.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by btadlock View Post
    that I came across a recent/fresh kill a few years back, I came upon this bloody mess in the trail, slowed down to figure out what it was, it was the back section of a deer, both legs and rump with a bloody drag mark going off the trail.
    Once the light bulb went on, I bolted out of there, did not want my stopping to been seen as a challenge for his dinner.

-sounds like deer behavior to me
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep

Red Necks and mtn. lions!

I thought that cat was gonna jump up and tear his head off!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've had several close encounters with very large, very aggressive dogs. I was always glad to have my bike with me to keep between me and the dog. I would think with a mountain lion, I would rather we standing with the bike between me and the lion, than on the bike where the lion could get behind me.
    Also picking the bike up and holding it high goes with the advice to look large.