Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Listen! Mountain Lion Activity at Red Rocks O.S.?

I'm sort of new to the area, but I like to hit up Red Rocks a few times a week because its near where I live. I've seen what I think to be signs of cat activity (deer legs and feet torn from the rest of the body in the middle of the trail, and maybe paw prints). Can anyone confirm if this indicates a cat nearby?
    Last edited by noland1985; 04-27-2011 at 02:19 AM.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Anywhere you ride in the "Front Range", a big kittie is watching you.

mtbr member
    Coyotes finishing off road kill.

mtbr member
    A week ago a big kitty met my 13rd old son on our driveway. It first ran off but stopped about 30 yards away and was looking him over. My son did the right thing and made himself look big and tall. He started walking backwards to the house and the cat just followed him right up to the door.

Now my son calls me from his cell phone and we talk until he gets down to the road about a 1/4 mile away.

I feel lucky to have seen a couple of them in the 3 years I have lived up here in Evergreen.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nitecrwlr
    Coyotes finishing off road kill.
    For real? I've heard coyotes there before, and I see them all the time.

That makes me feel a bit better.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    I was riding behind Bear creek nature center on my way over to section 16 and rode right up on a big lion. First one I have seen that close in 38 years in Co. I guess it was only a matter of time but, wow! Scared the crap out of me. They are out there.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    MOUNTAIN LIONS ARE NOT GOING TO EAT YOU.

There... I feel better.

Yay! Bikes !
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    MOUNTAIN LIONS ARE NOT GOING TO EAT YOU.

There... I feel better.

its like deja vu all over again ...
    Nick.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    TVC should be posting here any minute now.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Over the past 2 years there have been 3 mtn. lions in the Bear Creek/High Drive/Red Rock Canyon area (Colo Spgs). Probably younger ones hanging together at first & by now they should be full grown with the nice diet of local deer.

I bet a lot of the deer parts you see in the park have been drug out by dogs and left on the trails once their owners see what they are fetching. Ahhh, stinky dead deer dog breath.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Had a big and very healthy looking bobcat in our backyard this spring, could of been a lynx but I think it was a bobcat, it was large like the size of a mtn lion. Had bear and mtn lion in the yard but first time to see a bobcat up close, beautiful animal

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    LyleCrumbstorm should be posting here any minute now.
    fixed it
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teleken
    . Ahhh, stinky dead deer dog breath.
    Thinking about my dog breathing on me, while I'm eating dinner with that hot funk coming up at me, NASTY!

Living the High Life
    I've been here 5 years and I've seen a cat twice. 1 from a long ways away at Apex, it was on a ridge and I could see the tail.

I ran into another 1 last fall after dark at GM, less than 50 feet away with those big eyes staring right at me. My friend rolled up, and then we slowly backed away. The cat didn't follow.

They're out there, but they are more interested in animals not humans. I still ride at dusk, I'm not worried. Oh and think about it, there are tons of deer in JeffCo but no one hunts. We need something on top of the food chain, thus cats. So as long as there are plenty of deer around you'll be safe.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Stiff yet compliant
    Forget about mountain lions. It's the rocky mountain Alligator you should be worried about. Their range has been expanding northward due to climate change.

mtbr member
    I've been lucky to have a couple of encounters in my 3 years in CO. The first year I was here, while driving up to Ned to ride, a large adult ran in front of the car. I had to hit the brakes to avoid hitting it. It ran up the rocks before I could stop and get a pic. Needless to say, I kept looking over my shoulder the entire ride.

We had 2 youngsters camped out (hanging in the trees) right on the bike path in my 'hood in golden last May. I'll try to dig up some pics. I heard they relocated them and the mom to green mtn.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    As others have said, pretty much the whole Front Range is prime lion habitat. They're out there but few people ever see them. The deer parts and pieces you saw may very well have been a lion kill but it's just as likely coyotes or other scavengers (or neighborhood dogs) found and scattered the pieces. There is a very small chance of being attacked by a lion or other wildlife but that's very rare. If you want more info on how to live and recreate with wildlife go to the CDOW website.

slow
    Some good photos of Northern Front Range wildlife, taken near Fort Collins with motion sensor cameras.
    http://www.fcgov.com/naturalareas/wildlife-camera.php

Rigid in Evergreen
    I see enough deer and elk carcasses to always be reminded that they are out there, but the only wild cat that I've seen was a dead bobcat on the side of Squaw Pass Rd.

Thread Terrorist
    Pvssies. Seriuosly, all they are is Pvssies. I'm going to Moab.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    The only cougars I watch for are these:
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    The only cougars I watch for are these:
    Ahhh... BACON!
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Team Inflexible
    I actually clipped a Mt Lion driving on the highway between Pagosa Springs and Durango.

It was dusk and he came darting across the road, I just barely clipped its head with my bumper and knocked him out cold on the highway. Lots of people stopped got out of their cars and started yelling at each other saying this guy was to close to the cat directing traffic. Kinda a surreal scene. After a few minutes the Mt Lion got up, hobbled for a bit, then came to its senses took of in the bushes. Tough lil feller!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    Forget about mountain lions. It's the rocky mountain Alligator you should be worried about. Their range has been expanding northward due to climate change.
    This post is worthless without pics!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    If you want more info on how to live and recreate with wildlife go to the CDOW website.
    Oh, recreate... I thought it said PROcreate. That's a completely different website. Carry on...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast