mtbr member

Mountain Biking in Red Feather Lakes?

I'm heading up to Red Feather Lakes for a bachelor party this weekend, and not nothing about the area, but I'm hoping to get some good, long (albeit hungover) rides in throughout the weekend.

Does anyone have any advice on rides to do up that way? Trying to get long miles in in preparation for the Firecracker 50.

slow
    There is riding at Beaver Meadows.

You might also try the Killpecker Creek / Lone Pine loop just west of Redfeather. About 15 minutes south (by car), you can hit Dadd Gulch in the Poudre Canyon. Both of these cross some forest service roads with some extended loop possibilities.

Here are some shots from Dadd Gulch, Lone Pine, and Killpecker
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mountain Biking in Red Feather Lakes?-daddgulch.jpg  

Mountain Biking in Red Feather Lakes?-lowerdadd.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Wow, this looks pretty good! Thanks for the recommendations. I'm excited now.

slow
    Here is a link to a Lower Dadd / Upper Dadd Gulch ride I did in June 2010. Had to turn around because I was running into snow around 10k'. Not long, but plenty of climbing
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/35945141

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I'm thinking higher altitude is still a big mess but I need to get up there and check it out. Lower Dadd usually has snow on the upper parts still this time of year. Can you describe the Upper Dadd stuff you rode? I've heard about it but never looked too deep... Your gps track seems to be missing the map.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Okay now I see the map... So you ride lower dadd, take a right at the road then a left at the T and descend, then head up Crown point for about a half mile? Is there a trailhead for the upper dadd section? What kind of riding is on that upper part?

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by andykrow View Post
    Okay now I see the map... So you ride lower dadd, take a right at the road then a left at the T and descend, then head up Crown point for about a half mile? Is there a trailhead for the upper dadd section? What kind of riding is on that upper part?
    As you head up Crown Point Road, keep an eye out for a road fork that leads to the left. A short distance up that old logging road is a gate. I don't remember if it there was a sign or not.

The first couple of miles of riding is mostly a grassy overgrown old road bed running along a stream. You will get into a meadow in which the trail becomes hard to follow. (I did some searching in the clear cut to the south, but eventually found the trail straight ahead to the west of where I lost it.) This single track runs through some trees and boggy area and comes to a steep, loose climb that had me pushing on the way up, but was completely ridable on the way down. The rest of the trail above that point looked like a lot like the photo below, which was about a mile before I turned around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mountain Biking in Red Feather Lakes?-upperdadd.jpg  

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    I did Lower Dadd Gulch up to the jeep roads today and it's all clear. Couple of short muddy sections near the creek beds but otherwise in great shape. Remember to ride or walk through the mud, not around it.

Mountain Biking in Red Feather Lakes?-dadd-gulch.jpg