Kick Start My Heart

New question here. Mountain Bike Organized Rides?

I am bi-cycle, meaning I ride both Mountain and Roadie. Mountain always seems to be a few people or solo, and good rides, while the roadie circles have big rides like Copper Triangle, Elephant Rock and rides like that. I ride those and it's a lot of fun, good support and before and after activities, but I haven't really seen anything on the Mountain side of things, maybe I haven't looked hard enough, or don't know where to look.

So my newb-style question is: Are there organized Mountain rides sorta like the organized Road Rides? - please school me, and Thank You!

The 5th knuckle
    Don't know of any hey come pay and chill rides like Elephant Rock. The 24hrs of E-rock is a cool timed race. Some folks go to hang and ride some laps, some to race. As far as really well run, super great support, good vibe mountain bike races, I cant say enough good things about these guys Colorado Mountain Bike Racing . Two years ago I did the whole series and loved it. I got that out of my system and didn't do anything this past year. Now I feel fat and unfocused so I'm doing the Ridgeline and Breck this next summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

contains quinine
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Awesomist™
    Large, organized "group" rides are more difficult to pull off in the MTB world, I think. Guided adventures, or even semi- or self-guided, are often commercial ventures and the permitting process can be a PITA for an organizer to pull off. There are a few out there, not necessarily rides per se but certainly tour guides that organize such shenanigans.

Kokopelli Trail
    Hermosa Tours – Mountain Bike Tours
    Guided Mountain Bike Tours & Cycling Vacations | Western Spirit
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

My leg feels funny
    I don't know where you're located but you can always checkout the Lakewood Mountain Bike Meetup. They do a lot of smaller rides mostly but I do see some longer ones as well.

Lakewood Mountain Biking "LMB" (Denver , CO) - Meetup

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm also a 50/50 fat tire/skinny tire guy. When I lived back east, the Delaware Trailspinners MTB group put on a great event in Fair Hill, MD https://trailspinners.org/event/mtb-jamboree . Throughout the day, ride leaders formed ad-hoc groups, based on perceived ability, of 5-10 riders each. This was a great way to learn the trail system, meet new folks, listen to music, etc. They handled several hundred (I believe) riders with no problems of trail congestion/conflicts.

I haven't participated in anything like that here in CO other than some meetup.com groups. However, some of the links above seem worthy of checking out as well as maybe the Fruita Fat Tire Festival Home - Fruita Fat Tire Festival -

Awesomist™
    Ah yeah, forgot about Fruita Fat Tire Festival. There's also Crested Butte Bike Week, and Breck Bike Week. Additionally (and I can't believe I forgot this) I have a friend who is working on the permitting for a "festival" type of weekend in Steamboat Springs, CO in the summer of 2014. His vision is to hold festivals in all the mountain states, changing the location of each every two years.

Bringing In Fun Events In 2014 - Chocolate Bunny Productions

His website admittedly needs some work (which I get to help him with) but stay tuned to that URL for more info.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by liqwid View Post
    I don't know where you're located but you can always checkout the Lakewood Mountain Bike Meetup. They do a lot of smaller rides mostly but I do see some longer ones as well.

Lakewood Mountain Biking "LMB" (Denver , CO) - Meetup
    Things got a little "dramatic" when I suggested I'd take a splinter group who'd like to go play in the rock garden at Hall on a very full level 3 ride, then meet up w/ the main group in the upper loop, to free up some spots for more non-techy riders. So now, I ride solo or a very small group.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    Large, organized "group" rides are more difficult to pull off in the MTB world, I think...
    The roadie world is made much better by drafting. That basic fact creates a social aspect around road cycling. A no-drop road ride is much easier to pull off than on mountain, because the people who are struggling to make the pace can just sit in behind the faster people. If you're good at drafting on a road bike, you can ride with crazy fast people even when you aren't. You can be dropped, but somebody is likely to notice pretty quickly.

Road just doesn't have the problem with mechanicals either. Road bikes stay clean--no muddy chains or sticks in the derailleur. Way fewer flats. So a dozen people can head out and ride for a couple hours, relatively easily staying together, most likely with no mechanicals to deal with.

Take a dozen mountain bikers and send them off on a real mountain bike ride. How long before the first mechanical? How likely is it that they'll all stay even within sight of each other while riding? So it goes more or less accordian style. Faster riders pulling off ahead until it occurs to them to stop for regroup. Everyone stops for mechanicals. Sometimes faster riders wait for a while then backtrack to find others working on somebody's bike.

The two hour ride with 12 mountain bikers often becomes a 5 hour ride. I am personally hesitant to go ride with more than 3 or 4 other people. Mostly I ride on my own.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    The two hour ride with 12 mountain bikers often becomes a 5 hour ride. I am personally hesitant to go ride with more than 3 or 4 other people. Mostly I ride on my own.
    Well, just bring more beer. Problem solved.
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

Chronic 1st-timer
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jaycastlerock again.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

gotta get up to get down
    "The two hour ride with 12 mountain bikers often becomes a 5 hour ride. I am personally hesitant to go ride with more than 3 or 4 other people. Mostly I ride on my own."

This might be the first time I've felt the opposite of TomP, usually our opinions line right up.

I can't remember a tons-of-breaks, mechanical/flat-filled, 5 hour ride group ride that I didn't fully enjoy. In fact, these types of rides have pushed me to ride more often and invest more in mountain bikes. Sure 3-4 other people is ideal for efficiency, but who cares when it's a social group ride? Although I do understand your perspective, my response is Y SO SERIOUS?

Also, well said jaycastlerock.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by p_DuBs View Post
    This might be the first time I've felt the opposite of TomP, usually our opinions line right up.

I can't remember a tons-of-breaks, mechanical/flat-filled, 5 hour ride group ride that I didn't fully enjoy. In fact, these types of rides have pushed me to ride more often and invest more in mountain bikes. Sure 3-4 other people is ideal for efficiency, but who cares when it's a social group ride? Although I do understand your perspective, my response is Y SO SERIOUS?
    I don't think it's really about SERIOUS. I think it's just what I'm into. Bike rides aren't really where I try to get my social thing done. They are more like my personal reflection time. Social time for me most often includes a bar stool.

But that said, maybe I should take a page from your book. Just this weekend I got my bikes out, found all the gear that I've kicked into the corner for the last 2+ months and went for an actual mountain bike ride for the first time since August. I got hurt at the 24 in the Sage in August and was in way too much pain to ride for 3 or so weeks, but after that went away I found a big chunk of who cares where my passion for riding used to be. My 2013 season actually was kind of serious. I found myself single again around this time last year and decided I was going to get back to serious endurance fitness and slay some dragons--conquer some big stuff. I met all my season goals. I rode a ton. Strava (yes, I use it) shows me at 3,477 miles after not riding at all in September and October.

So Saturday I made a set of snap decisions: selling the Giant Anthem endurance sled. Pulling out the porky 5x5 Tomac that hung from a hook all year and ordering a Pike for it. No goals other than have fun and re-connect with what I loved about mountain biking 10 years ago. I loved it during the last 10 years, but I was using it as contest against myself. There's a huge thrill in being able to ride for over 15 hours and cover huge chunks of mountainous terrain. But at least for me, having the kind of fitness to do that comes at a considerable cost.

So yeah, maybe I should go stuff my biggest pack with beers and engage a bunch of friends to do a two hour ride in five hours.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

The 5th knuckle
    So yeah, maybe I should go stuff my biggest pack with beers and engage a bunch of friends to do a two hour ride in five hours.
    yeah buddy.

Or go like this

or maybe

maybe this

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Things got a little "dramatic" when I suggested I'd take a splinter group who'd like to go play in the rock garden at Hall on a very full level 3 ride, then meet up w/ the main group in the upper loop, to free up some spots for more non-techy riders. So now, I ride solo or a very small group.
    Weird, people like to cry about anything. I haven't done many with that group but it seems to depend on the organizer on how laid back its going to be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Jaycastlerock - hilarious stuff!!

OP - In addition to all of the other stuff mentioned above (there are a lot of good links from other posters), you can look on FB for groups. There is a NoCo Mountain Bike FB group that has weekly social rides so I would imagine there are others out there.

It all depends on what you are looking for. The organized group road rides you mentioned (Copper Triangle and Elephant Rock) are fee based one day group supported rides (not races). Roadies also have extended fee based support group rides - like the week long Ride the Rockies. I would agree that there are few, if any, similar fee based organized supported group mountain bike rides (not races) that involve hundreds or thousands of riders (though one can have guided tours or something like the Telluride to Moab hut thing with a group of friends but that does not appear to be what you are looking for). The mtb races (like the ones others have already mentioned) are probably the closest thing to a large mtb group organized "ride".

Probably lots of reasons for this. Perhaps mtbers like smaller groups or are more adventurous or maybe logistics and geography/topography play a role. While having a large road group social ride may be fun, having a hundreds of people on the same trail doesn't sound ideal. Anyway, these are just musings. Hope you find what you are looking for!

gotta get up to get down
    I hear ya, glad I could spark some reflection heh. And sometimes those 5 hour rides end up at 2-3 hours after all, you might be surprised (visit the springs, see what happens )!

Maybe it's my (lack of) fitness, but I often end up riding way longer/harder with the group than I would by myself. Just goes to show that time in the saddle can be many different things to many different people.

Not only are there are plenty of great groups mentioned in this thread / on MTBR, but sh1t if you can't find one that meets your needs (type of trails, amount of beer breaks, pace, social-ness, etc.) then you should post up and see what kind of cool people come out!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    maybe this
    I bet this has a smooth spin to it.