Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Are most sub-$1k mtn bikes...

...pretty much created equally? By that I mean, if they have very similar components and are similar in price... should you just go with which one fits you better/feels the best?

Or do some brands in this range have a better reputation for frame quality than others?

Have a friend who is wanting a new mountain bike, he's relatively new to it (been riding mostly fairly tame trails for a couple years). He doesn't want a used bike, and he's wanting to stay in the sub-$1k range for a hardtail w/gears.

Should he just look at all the major brands and maybe try to find a good deal on a closeout/last year's model?

Thanks -Eric

mtbr member
    By the way... I've tried to convince him he could get more bike if he went used. He's simply not interested, he wants a new bike. He won't be doing anything crazy on this bike... mostly riding trails with a few minor drop-offs, tree roots etc here and there. Thanks

eci
    Cr@P? Yes

mtbr member
    Snowskilz, at what MSRP price point do you feel the crappiness ceases, or at least decreases significantly? Thanks

killin clear creek
    just go used.

Much better bang for the buck than a new cheap bike. You can find some really decent bikes for right around the 1000 range (last year I sold an 09 reign 2 for 1300 for example).

Be a little patient, and maybe extend that $$ amount up a touch, and I'm sure he'll find a decent bike that will blow the doors off of a new $1000 bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

mtbr member
    As I said in the first post... he's not interested in a used bike.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo Springs E
    ...pretty much created equally? By that I mean, if they have very similar components and are similar in price... should you just go with which one fits you better/feels the best?

Or do some brands in this range have a better reputation for frame quality than others?

Have a friend who is wanting a new mountain bike, he's relatively new to it (been riding mostly fairly tame trails for a couple years). He doesn't want a used bike, and he's wanting to stay in the sub-$1k range for a hardtail w/gears.

Should he just look at all the major brands and maybe try to find a good deal on a closeout/last year's model?

Thanks -Eric
    Yes, production bikes of a particular type (full-suspension, hard-tail, road bike, hybrid, etc.) at a particular price point from one reputable manufacturer bought from a reputable LBS will be very comparable.

#1 - Test ride... what will vary dramatically is the fit and feel for you.

#2 - Be comfortable with the LBS... these guys will be key to servicing the bike and warrantying anything that breaks.

#3 - Sub-$1k I recommend staying away from the $800 full-suspension bike and stick with a hard tail at that budget.

#4 - Keeping #1 and #2 in mind, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a discounted model from last year.

mtbr member
    Thanks topmounter, that's helpful info. By "LBS," is that 'large box store?' I'm actually steering toward a few of the locally-owned shops. I've seen a few 2010 models that were MSRP of $1500 or so for right around a grand... I'm thinking he may be able to get more bike that way.

He's not real interested in FS, so no issue there.

I have been mtn biking for the better part of 20 years and frankly, I've always owned sub-$1000 bikes myself, and never had any issues. For the type of riding he'll be doing, I can't imagine he'll likely break it, was just sort of curious if one brand is any better/more reliable than another.

Thanks again for the helpful post.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Thanks topmounter, that's helpful info. By "LBS," is that 'large box store?' I'm actually steering toward a few of the locally-owned shops. I've seen a few 2010 models that were MSRP of $1500 or so for right around a grand... I'm thinking he may be able to get more bike that way.

He's not real interested in FS, so no issue there.

I have been mtn biking for the better part of 20 years and frankly, I've always owned sub-$1000 bikes myself, and never had any issues. For the type of riding he'll be doing, I can't imagine he'll likely break it, was just sort of curious if one brand is any better/more reliable than another.

Thanks again for the helpful post.

LOCAL BIKE SHOP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter
    LOCAL BIKE SHOP
    LOL, oh, got it! thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    See what a new $1500 bike features (spec wise). See how clearance, last year's bikes are spec'd (at $1500 marked down from "new" prices).

Check Craigslist for some buyers remorse seller bike.

Then go buy that Ellsworth, man. Oh, wait, this isn't for you.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Ha, yeah I wish I could (or get something similar).

Maybe by next Summer I'll upgrade and get a nice USED full-suspension.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007

Shameless plug... haven't had time to list on Ebay so here's your chance...

For a few more bucks he could own a custom sexy bike that will help him meet women ....

Dekerf Generation - 17.5", white for $1500
    or a

Dekerf Generation - 17.5", black for $1200.

mtbr member
    I hvae a buddy with similar criteria he is looking at this route (Airborne Goblin 29er): http://www.airbornebicycles.com/products/97-goblin.aspx
    Not a bad spec for the $.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." -- Mark Twain

killin clear creek
    As I said in the first post... he's not interested in a used bike.

I saw the first post... I was stating that he should reconsider his take on that.

What is his aversion to previously loved bikes? If he's on a budget, he's shooting himself in the foot by insisting on brand new.
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryislife
    I saw the first post... I was stating that he should reconsider his take on that.

What is his aversion to previously loved bikes? If he's on a budget, he's shooting himself in the foot by insisting on brand new.
    Dunno, some people like new shiny stuff that costs a lot I guess.

I pointed out to him I bought a near-perfect used GT Peace recently for probably 35% of the cost of a comparable new one. He said he wants a new bike.

He's not real mechanically inclined, maybe he feels better about having lifetime adjustments that type of thing.

Or maybe he's trying to help get our economy back on track!

I hear ya, but he wants a new one. If he goes with a close-out, last year's model etc he may do okay.

Thanks -E

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail
    For a few more bucks he could own a custom sexy bike that will help him meet women ....

Dekerf Generation - 17.5", white for $1500
    or a

Dekerf Generation - 17.5", black for $1200.
    Very cool-- me likey!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzattack
    I hvae a buddy with similar criteria he is looking at this route (Airborne Goblin 29er): http://www.airbornebicycles.com/products/97-goblin.aspx
    Not a bad spec for the $.
    And nice looking to boot--liking that!

Rigid in Evergreen
    Dunno, some people like new shiny stuff that costs a lot I guess.

I pointed out to him I bought a near-perfect used GT Peace recently for probably 35% of the cost of a comparable new one. He said he wants a new bike.

He's not real mechanically inclined, maybe he feels better about having lifetime adjustments that type of thing.

Or maybe he's trying to help get our economy back on track!

I hear ya, but he wants a new one. If he goes with a close-out, last year's model etc he may do okay.

Thanks -E

I can totally understand not wanting to buy used. If he's not bike-savvy, then dealing with a reputable shop, free tune-ups and a manufacturers warranty is definitely worth something, especially when you're on a budget.

Rolling
    "I have a friend...."

Classic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    "I have a friend...."

Classic.
    Well, it may be classic, but it's true. I'm not in the market right now, and if I was, it certainly wouldn't be for anything new. Too many good deals out there on used stuff.

Yappy little dog!

Thanks -Eric
    I have found the sub $1000 REI branded bikes to be solid. Usually decent components and solid service.

mtbr member
    This is what he went with:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._20000__400327

He's never had a 29er but decided to go that route.

Is the Dart 3 a decent fork?

bacon! bacon! bacon!

He's never had a 29er but decided to go that route.

Is the Dart 3 a decent fork?
    It'll probably work fine for him... it's one of RS's low end forks...

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    Cr@P? Yes
    My bike just got its feelings hurt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast