Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Most Frightening Thing You've Seen Happen on a Ride?

I've seen a couple good stacks in my time, rag dolling down a scree field up high, OTB's head first, etc. I've also impaled myself pretty good up near Miller's Rock, that was a good one. What da ya got? Scariest thing you've seen on a bike?
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    I've seen a couple good stacks in my time, rag dolling down a scree field up high, OTB's head first, etc. I've also impaled myself pretty good up near Miller's Rock, that was a good one. What da ya got? Scariest thing you've seen on a bike?
    Me grabbing too much left brake, bars twisting around with my left hand pinned between bar and stomach, bike going 20mph to a dead stop pivoting up and over and pile driving me into the ground with a one point landing on my left shoulder. I thought I was a dead man. I'm typing this so I guess I didn't die!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Kick Start My Heart

Re: Most Frightening Thing You've Seen Happen on a Ride?

I saw myself heading for a stake through the heart.
    Up at Rampart, I was wailing on the south side of the dam, and caught a pedal on a high inside, bike shook a second, and I was thrown to the outside of the corner,... where the beavers had gnawed down the saplings, leaving a field of sharpened little stumps.
    I remember seeing me headed towards one of these sticks of death, chest first, my arm coming out to hit the ground first and change my course just a bit.
    I took a graze in the back, rolling into one, but better than a belly-flop and shoving a stake through my heart.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The one's I remember most were on big rides which seem to equate to bigger risk. Hell, a yard sale at Halls can be just as bad though.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    Seems like it's all stuff that's happened to ourselves so far...

Hokay, my worst crash I don't remember so I can't count that one.

About 10 years ago I'm descending a knife ridge, front wheel gets crossways in a rut and I am catapulted OTB. Land on right elbow and drive shoulder socket out. Full dislocation. Extreme pain, look down at my shoulder and it's just a flat place. No shoulder there. Arm four inches too long.

All by myself, I stashed my bike (Moots!) in the woods and spend half an hour walking out to the highway.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Most Delicious
    Kid on fixed gear, no brakes, going down a steep service road at around 25mph. Sees the steel gate across the road, tries to skid stop, hits it broadside and his body goes through the gaps in between the horizontal beams of the gate. Skull fractures, shattered leg, blood streaming out of his nose - just the worst thing ever. I'll never get the sound of him screaming in panic and hitting the gate out of my head.

Seriously hipsters - you need a brake on your bike.

mtbr member
    This past Saturday on the Crest saw a guy with a neck injury near Greens creek, 5 miles deep. I hope he is going to be okay.

For me, breaking my back, passed out on the side of the trail in CB bike park, luckily was able to pull it together and ride down. OR Impaling myself on a punji stick on Doctors, tearing a fist size hole on my leg. OR Tearing a huge gaping hole in my arm while DH racing.

Too many frightening moments, but still at it, perhaps riding smarter these days...

mtbr member
    Scary, or disturbing?
    Witnessing the death of a fellow racer was quite disturbing, but not really scary.
    RIP Samuel Hall.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnirider View Post
    This past Saturday on the Crest saw a guy with a neck injury near Greens creek, 5 miles deep. I hope he is going to be okay...
    This is the article from Monday in local paper.

Salida mountain biker sustains neck injury - TheMountainMail.com: Free Content

Haven't heard any recent news. I don't know him but hear he's a really good guy.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

friend of Apex
    Riding with a paramedic, I eat it. He takes one look at me and goes blank, and mutters "Oh, fvck. This is bad"
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Saw the article Monday. We passed him at about 10am, 2pm heli ride, long time to get him out. Thought they might try to land the heli closer to him.

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    Riding with a paramedic, I eat it. He takes one look at me and goes blank, and mutters "Oh, fvck. This is bad"
    Soooo.... what happened?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    Soooo.... what happened?
    As you can see from his Avatar, he recovered nicely! I don't know if he wants to tell us all about it but it was pretty much discussed on this forum a few years ago. Search "WKR-RDR eats it" or words to that effect.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Poaching a cyclocross crit that shall remain nameless on my mountain bike, I tried to duck the rope on the roll. I misjudged the rope and clotheslined my camelbak on the rope, which stretched out a ways and then yanked me back about 6 feet, landing me camelbak-first on a nice, sharp sapling cut like a punji stick. I began to feel cold, and something wet on my back and legs. I realized something was amiss, and my worst fears came true -- two liters of ice-cold Firestone Double Barrel dribbling out and down the back of my leg. I frantically yanked my bladder out of the pack, and discovered a two-finger wide tear that was now firehosing beer all over me and another racer who came by (oops)...so I shotgunned/showered in foamy ale as I dragged my bike back under the rope.

It was touch-n-go there for a while, but I was able to consume the vast majority of the beer.

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    Nothing like a good accident/injury thread to get you pumped up to go ride and push yourself!
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiPavement View Post
    Nothing like a good accident/injury thread to get you pumped up to go ride and push yourself!
    Reality Bites.

slow
    Took a "no lights" full moon ride with a dozen or so friends in college. We were sitting atop a mountain admiring the city lights to the east when a sudden storm rolls from the west. Next thing we know there is lightning flashing all around us and almost simultaneous thunder crashing. We rode down as fast as we could in the pouring rain, with momentary flashes of light followed by periods of complete darkness.

ride
    Saw a buddy of mine fillet his calf from his tendon about 12" up. All the muscle was exposed and the skin was folded back several inches. He looked like Iron Maiden Eddie.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    The guy with compound fractures in both arms after slipping a pedal at the jumps. And the lady who lost her front teeth at the Denver Skate Park.

Personally, first-base sliding through the berm in the lower pump track at Valmont. Full dirt-burn from wrists to elbows, both hip points shredded, and grated knees from slipped pads. I beat the throw, though--safe by a mile. Oh, and nailed the transfer later that day.

Knock-on-wood.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    OK, not the most frightening at the time because it happened so fast, faster than you can say "oh sh........!!!!!"

I'd climbed to the top of the Crested Butte ski area, all the way to the tippy top. Me and the lady climbing-machine lady I was riding with turned around, she disappeared downhill and I followed. I took the line to the right, caught some air and in mid-air realized I'd taken the line with the chain across the road. Locked up both wheels, landed skidding, the chain snagged me by my throat and, miraculously snapped. It's true. I rolled and tumbled to a stop but wasn't beheaded. Tough guy in those days I guess.

For days my exploits were heralded in CB. First guy I saw thought I'd had a tracheotomy and was just chillin' in the mountains to recuperate. When I told him what happened I had instant street cred.

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    This is the article from Monday in local paper.

Salida mountain biker sustains neck injury - TheMountainMail.com: Free Content

Haven't heard any recent news. I don't know him but hear he's a really good guy.
    Good thing to read from that was this: "Lama’s friend Barry Blocker, Salida, was able to use his In Reach Satellite communicator to call for help".

I carry one of these In Reach Communicators for when I travel off grid into the back country. It's a weighty device but could be a live saver. I hope that I never have to use it.

Abby Normal
    Never seen any really bad wrecks fortunately, but one of my best friends had a major heart attack last night right at the end of our weekly mtb ride (doing Blue Sky / Indian Summer at Horsetooth). Fortunately it looks like he is going to be OK but it was scary as sh*t. Really lucky it happened when / where it did (literally within site of the parking lot so the EMT's got to him quickly).

We had no idea that it was a major 'event' as he wasn't in any real pain, was lucid, got into the ambulance under his own steam etc. Take home message for us was dont f*ck around if you even suspect it could be a heart attack, call in the cavalry.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    I don't like this thread, not one bit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwhan View Post
    I don't like this thread, not one bit.
    And here I thought mountain biking was the safest thing a person could do. Sh!t could never happen when having so much fun, right?

Tre1nt
    Feb 2006
    Ripping a rocky fire road descent with a group -- came together with another rider. We were shoulder to shoulder and stayed on our bikes ... but our brake levers tangled and suddenly we were a tandem moving at warp speed and unable to stop. Rode it out and avoided a crash but it was a terrifying process to get things under control. Probably just 10 seconds but it felt like an eternity and I was convinced the whole time that we were both about to die.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast