Goat of Legend

The Morrison Goliath

I've had a route in my head for some time now and that was just to complete Green Mtn, Dakota Ridge, Mt Falcon and Lair the Bear back to my place. After reading some here on good ol MTBR I learned of Grapevine Rd and a way to throw Apex in the loop. A Star was Born.

This morning I left my place a little after 5am as I was needing to be home by noon.

The route: Green Valley>Green Mtn> Zorro>Dakota Ridge>Mt Falcon>Pence>Lair the Bear>Little Park>Grapevine Rd>Paradise Hills>Apex>Enchanted Forest>Apex>Dakota Ridge>Zorro>Green Mtn>Bike Path and backroads

Figured I rode between 45-50 miles and home 30 minutes early and just in time for lunch!
    Sweet!

Bad Andy! Met me at 6am atop Dakota Ridge and once the ridge was done he had to buzz out for some family obligations in the earley morning hours

P5100012

Digging the murals in downtown Morrison

P5100023

Perspectives change but I still roll the big wheels

P5100026

I always dig a good view of the Red Rocks

Pence was a much sweeter treat then expected. Mucho flow in there

P5100032

Cactus on the side of the trail

P5100034

Stopped by the Shaman hut

P5100038

and communed with the spirits for a while

P5100037

and then began climbing Grapvine

P5100042

I wanted to leave my 40 cents some where but no piggy banks were left on the trail

P5100044

No more pictures after this folks as it was just pure focus on getting home. Deffinitley a route I'll be hitting again soon though.
    Last edited by mountaingoatepics; 05-09-2009 at 08:53 PM.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    nice report! First time on Pence? that is one sweet descent! Not a bad climb either.

I threw in a t.i.t.s. hot lap in between games tonight minus the to and from IW met a fellow mtbr asking me for some trail info, EricZ i believe from chi cago! Welcome!! Slow down peeps take time to meet people, give a wave offer some help, take pictures of cactus and so forth! Enjoy our beautiful state and this wonderful two wheeled adventure we get to partake in!

over back on topic, like to do this one with you sometime mGe!

pbr
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Goat of Legend
    Yup, Very 1st time on Pence. Mountain Boy's, now forever known as the Mad scientist, double secret homemade energy drink and my wife's chocolate chip biscut cookies kept me going strong all ride long.

I'm always willing to stop and smell the flowers on the side of the trail and give a helping hand if needed.

Don't worry this route isn't going away PBR, matter of fact, as I plan on this plus 3 sisters before the year is done.

Next week though, the National Forest has been begging for my attention and who am I to turn it down.

Stayin' Puft
    Ya, your place at 5 woulda been me out of bed before 4am and it just wazznt happinen.

Looks like a good route, I was wondering yesterday if you pulled that off as I grunted my fixie around hills on the road. I left home around 10...hmm...I gotta get this early morning thing going again... But, early usually means leaving my house at 5:30.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    I've had a route in my head for some time now and that was just to complete Green Mtn, Dakota Ridge, Mt Falcon and Lair the Bear back to my place. After reading some here on good ol MTBR I learned of Grapevine Rd and a way to throw Apex in the loop. A Star was Born.

This morning I left my place a little after 5am as I was needing to be home by noon.

The route: Green Valley>Green Mtn> Zorro>Dakota Ridge>Mt Falcon>Pence>Lair the Bear>Little Park>Grapevine Rd>Paradise Hills>Apex>Enchanted Forest>Apex>Dakota Ridge>Zorro>Green Mtn>Bike Path and backroads

Figured I rode between 45-50 miles and home 30 minutes early and just in time for lunch!
    Sweet!

Bad Andy! Met me at 6am atop Dakota Ridge and once the ridge was done he had to buzz out for some family obligations in the earley morning hours
    MtnGoatE

Sounds like you had a great ride (and were probably done before we started)

My wife and I did a longish ride on the BigGreenTandem inspired by your planned route. Our route: Rolled out from N. Golden>Apex>Paradise Rd>Grapevine>LOTB/Pence - turn around at the Pence parking lot >Pence/LOTB (Best part!!! )> Paradise>Hwy 40>Golden where lunch was calling our name. (45 miles 5700 climbing)

I have to say that we are in search of the "Holy Grail" of MTB tandem friendly trails on the front range and Pence might be it! Very flow-y and only ONE switchback - just a couple of rocky sections that we had to walk.

Next time I we'll have to head back via Mt Falcon or maybe a lap on GrnMtn?

Glad we got out yesterday - today not looking so good.

Goat of Legend
    Canyonrat, my girls had a rough night so I only got 4 hours of sleep. You coulda done it!

ds2199, definnitely a sweet trail. Wouldv'e been cool to see you guys riding the tandam on it.

Awesomist™
    $.40 toll for a vehicle drawn (ridden) by one ass? Perfect.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Nice work and on the single speed too!!! I would be down for some epics like that in the future!!!

not actually bad :)
    Yo MGE - I should have gone with you today.
    Instead, I did a variation of this, backwards - kinda like ds2199's - but on SS rather than tandem!
    From home, up Apex, down Paradise to Grapevine, up LOTB, down Falcon, C470 path to Green Mtn where I rode up the Ralston Valley trail ("the Spine" - which we worked on National Trails Day), down Jeremy's Traverse (overgrown with vegetation), then to 20th and Carr for TJ's game.
    I endo'd on one of those blind corner wash-outs down close to your place, and then got one of those snake tube coming out of the tire type situations - it was kinda cool. Especially since I let the air out of the tube, reseated the tire, aired it back up, and no problems!
    No pictures since I lost my camn damera somewhere between the start of the singletrack and about 11,000' - headed west on Bard Creek last week.
    Reward if found!!
    Happy Father's Day tomorrow to all the dads. Get out and do something fun with your kids!
    Old Codger

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    Yo MGE - I should have gone with you today.
    No pictures since I lost my camn damera somewhere between the start of the singletrack and about 11,000' - headed west on Bard Creek last week.
    Reward if found!!
    Happy Father's Day tomorrow to all the dads. Get out and do something fun with your kids!
    Sounds like a good route Andy!

I used to hide blow up dolls in my wheels until this happened

Hiding Blowup dolls

Your camera may be found in a couple of weeks. Let the snow melt some more and there may be something special going on that way the end of July.

The family is taking me to Glenwood to hike Hanging Lake and then go see Doc Holiday's Grave. Should be a sweet Father's Day.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Beautiful area!