Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rekrul

Morning jogger rant

I usually prefer to ride late afternoon/early evening, but every once in a while, I get up early and decide to ride to my local trail. There are about 2 miles of sidewalk to get me to the trail head and it is knee deep in joggers. This is not a bad thing, generally joggers are very polite and move to the side when I call out. But in the mornings, it seems like 90% of them have headphones on and they are running down the middle of the sidewalk. I call out to pass, but they can't hear me And then to top it off, I pass by someone who is completely off the sidewalk, making sure to keep as much distance between us as possible and then he yells out to me "a call out would be appreciated!" Aaarrrghh!

Don

The Notorious S.L.O
    I always like when after calling out, you wait for a wide spot to pass, and they jump like they had received a electric shock when they see you, usually accompanied with some shouting and swearing.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

Endo King
    You know what they say, "Karma's a *****"...
    "I didn't surrender. They took my horse and made him surrender..."
    -Chief Lone Watie

Loser
    Mar 2008
    I usually just yell "STRAVAAAAAA!" and pedal full speed at them. They usually get the message.

Living the High Life
    I have really loud hubs (Hope), so it's like constantly announcing myself. I still say excuse me, good morning, or hi before I catch them. But they're usually aware of me well before that.

Rekrul
    Did my rant to an office worker this morning and he said riding your bike on the sidewalk is illegal, so to be clear, I was not riding on the sidewalk, I was riding on a paved trail allowing bicycles. So no bad karma is needed.

Don

Your bike is incorrigible
    Yep, headphones are the bane of many a rider. I call out, but if they have headphones on and are taking up the entire trail then I consider them fair game to scare.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You could always ride on the road.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    This happens a lot. I always am ready to point out to them that their headphone use makes them at fault.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Hate to say it, but the peds have the law on their side. "A person riding a bicycle ... upon and along a sidewalk or pathway ... shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian and shall give an audible signal before overtaking and passing such pedestrian." CRS 42-4-1412(10)(a). But I'm with you headphone wearers can be annoying in various walks of life.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

banned

yeah, what are you doing riding on the sidewalk?

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post
    I have really loud hubs (Hope), so it's like constantly announcing myself. I still say excuse me, good morning, or hi before I catch them. But they're usually aware of me well before that.
    so your paved ride is downhill both ways?

we have a large MUT system in my city (it's easy to stay off the road) and the ipod wearers are always an issue. i ring my bell plenty before overtaking anyone, and if they don't hear, i don't care.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Rekrul
    Paved path and it is quicker than the road.

Don

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Anytime you insulate yourself from what's going on around you, you are creating a more hazardous situation for yourself and those around you whether you are on foot, on a bike, on a skateboard, or anything other mode of transportation.

mtbr member

rattlesnake

One rattlesnake bite with headphones on solves it all...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka View Post
    Yep, headphones are the bane of many a rider. I call out, but if they have headphones on and are taking up the entire trail then I consider them fair game to scare.
    Pretty much my opinion too. I did put an incredibell on and it's worked well so far.
    2012 Yeti 575 Race
    2013 Niner AIR 9

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had the situation of coming up behind an elderly man on my local bike path, when it was going through a park. I tried to call out twice, but he didn't hear me, so i whipped off onto the grass to go around and scared the **** out of him, and he swore like a sailor at me. A few weeks later in the same spot i came up on another old fella, made my callout, and that scared the **** out of him, and he swore at me too... You can't win it seems. I take a different route now...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by btadlock View Post
    I always like when after calling out, you wait for a wide spot to pass, and they jump like they had received a electric shock when they see you, usually accompanied with some shouting and swearing.
    I like the electric shock reaction, especially when you yell "on your left" and they nearly trip over themselves to jump.... further left.

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fly-noon View Post
    I had the situation of coming up behind an elderly man on my local bike path, when it was going through a park. I tried to call out twice, but he didn't hear me, so i whipped off onto the grass to go around and scared the **** out of him, and he swore like a sailor at me. A few weeks later in the same spot i came up on another old fella, made my callout, and that scared the **** out of him, and he swore at me too... You can't win it seems. I take a different route now...
    The solution is you pedal up next to them and whisper softly into their ear

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    so your paved ride is downhill both ways?

Well even catching hikers uphill will result in slowing down, so they hear the hubs.

If they don't yield to my badassesness then I try to pass gas as I go by.

mtbr member
    Screw them. Jogging is a hobby for those who can't afford a bike
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    I usually just yell "STRAVAAAAAA!" and pedal full speed at them. They usually get the message.
    HA! Thats ef'n golden...I have to start doing that!
    The real problem IMO is the earbuds and one not having a clue to what's going on around them. I ride road and dirt, I trail run and run on the road and I've never had a mp3, iPod, any other gizmo making noise in me ear (by foot or pedals), I like to hear what nature has to offer.

mtbr member
    Why did this come right to mind

Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I am really at a loss with what to do...I've been riding a local dirt trail for mtn bikes and pedestrians. Many of them have ear buds in and can't hear me at all...after yelling at them multiple times to make them aware of me. However, calling out got me in trouble today....I came upon a woman walker and when I called out she was so startled she jumped about 4 ft to the right and was flailing her arms...needless to say she took us both down in the ditch and although we both survived my back derailer did not. Being so bent my chain would not cooperate and I had a 4 mile walk of shame with my bike home.

A friend recommended I try not calling out so as not to startle people.

What do you guys think?

Buy a bell? Or a shape-shifting device to drive right through them unscathed?

mtbr member
    strap on a portable MegaPhone and announce your presence from a distance. should be able to avoid a similar encounter in the future. Seriously there is no need to be overly polite to these iBudzards.

Trail users with iBudz are just asking to be scared out of their skin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast