Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    HHW
    mtbr member
    May 2004

More where to move questions?

We have narrowed our search down to two neighborhoods: Arvada near 86th Pkwy and Indiana st. and Genesee. I prefer Genesee and the wife likes Arvada. So what are the positives and negatives for each? Trail access for the mountain bike and road rides.

Bad Andy
    Hmmmmmmmmm - from Genessee you are close to a lot of trails (Evergreen stuff, Clear Creek stuff - which is really nice cuz noone goes there, Golden stuff), and also closer to the mountains if you like to ski/snowboard, hike, ride up there.
    86th and Indiana? Is that 5 Parks? Nice neighborhood, but I would think Genesee would be just as nice (nicer?) with better access to more things and quieter, and just as close to Denver if you need to go downtown.
    86th and Ind. would be close to White Ranch, which would be nice!
    Road rides? Both would have easy access to some good road rides.
    Make my vote Genessee, but remember - BETTER keep the wife happy!!!

mtbr member

Where do you work????

I used to live in Arvada off of 83rd place, just east of where you're looking. It was very convenient. Close to shopping/work/nice dog park etc. with close access to the 70 corridor and easy access to some of the better Jeffco parks. We really liked it, but this was before 5 parks was built (moved in Jan '02) and I couldn't say how that has changed the area.

The biggest down side to Genessee would be having to deal with the I-70 idiots on your daily commute which is extremely exaggerated by the slightest bit of precipitation during the winter months.

Bottomline- If I worked from home or had a short commute -Genessee/If I had to commute into the city-Arvada. My experience has always been that the quality of life is enhanced by a short commute as opposed to a more scenic area. Spending a couple of hours a day sitting in traffic would just piss me off to the point where I couldn't enjoy the location.

Good luck

HHW
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thansk for the info. I would be working out at the Airport, but would only have to do the commute once or twice a week at the most. So the commute isn't too much of an issue.

Slopestyle Rider
    Genessee without a doubt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Genesee vs. Five Parks

With Genesee you pretty much see what there is going to be. The area is about built-out. The Five Parks area is due for some huge changes in the next decade, especially if they ram the Tollway through there. You might think that would be great for you to get to DIA, but keep in mind it already costs $6.00 each way to go from Broomfield to DIA. Would you be willing to spend $10.00 each way to go from Arvada to DIA? Arvada already has plans to put hundreds of houses further west on CO72 from Five Parks. And there is that new subdivision already being built just to the north of there. If you like densely packed, poorly planned suburban sprawl, go with Arvada - they won't disappoint you.

I'd go with Genesee. Keep in mind you'll probably need 4WD if you live up there, while you can get away with 2WD in Arvada.

Have you looked at Golden, Golden Gate Canyon, Coal Creek Canyon?

skillz to pay billz
    Limon!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    Limon!
    Ha thats funny..

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by HHW
    Thansk for the info. I would be working out at the Airport, but would only have to do the commute once or twice a week at the most. So the commute isn't too much of an issue.
    You would certainly get more house for the money in Arvada, but you should also think about your kids as well (if you have them). Some of the schools in Avada can be "iffy".

My guess is your wife is like mine. She's use to the suburban jungle and can't picture living somewhere at the top of a mountain. I had the same problem. I wanted a mountain home with no one around me (call me anti-social if you want), but the other half wasn't going for it. We ended up compromising on Golden. And yes, I have kids.

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by Klein_Christopher
    Ha thats funny..

I'll be here all night

HHW
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the info. I think I have the wife convinced. Does any one have any info on the homes in Village at Genesee. How's the home quality? Any soil problems? We would rather be farther away from the freeway and have some southern exposure but I think in our price range we are going to be looking in the village.

Thread Terrorist
    Arvada isn't a bad place. On the contrary to what was said earlier, Arvada does have good schools, I know several people that have gone to them, and have taught there as well.

You will have more of a 'hood feel in Arvada. The Neighbors will more likely be open to having block parties, hang out, etc. The trail access could be about the same in access time (Genessee can be deceiving).

I've lived in evergreen before moving to Golden. There are plus's and minus'. I'll highlight what I observed.

Genessee:
    + you can say you live in the mountains
    + you may get snow while the rest of denver doesn't
    + Views (depending on where you live
    + Wildlife, you'll get Elk and Deer grazing in your yard from time to time
    + Houses are a bit unique, along with the lots
    + Loveland Ski Area is only 40 minutes away, Keystone is 50!
    - On I-70. Ensure that you have multiple outs. I-70 is a fast paced 30+ mph over the speed limit race course between Denver and Evergreen. It shuts down often in bad weather. You will want to have 2 4wd's.
    - You'll drive everywhere, all the time Groceries, trails, schools, shopping, etc.
    - People that live in Genessee like to be a bit more private. Not that this is bad, but if you or your wife are social people, Golden or Arvada may be a better spot
    - No mtn town feel, no sense of community
    - Snow hangs around longer, sometimes deeper
    - House prices are high!

I have several friends that live up there. Its a nice place (as long as you don't have to listen to I-70). I think JasonB from this board lives up there, he'd be a good one to bounce Idea's from.

Genessee has a few places where you can access the trails (Near Apex or Chimney). Otherwise, you'll drive to White Ranch, Mt. Falcon, Chimney & Apex (If you live on the south side of I-70), Mathews Winters, etc. My Guesses are it will take you slightly less time to access the trails from Genessee, but not much.

Have you considered area's around Golden or Morrison?

Thread Terrorist
    BTW, where are you moving from?

HHW
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Moving from The San Francisco Bay Area....Too many people from Colorado moved heere and drove the housing prices up, so we have to move We have looked around Golden a little and haven't found any neighborhoods we really like any suggestions?

Yappy little dog!
    Moving from The San Francisco Bay Area....Too many people from Colorado moved heere and drove the housing prices up, so we have to move We have looked around Golden a little and haven't found any neighborhoods we really like any suggestions?
    If you are looking in Genessee, then you are looking at $500,000+ houses. Correct? There are plenty of places in Golden that will get you that. Have you looked in Mesa Meadows, Eagle Ridge, Mountain Ridge, Mountain View, Tablerock, Canyon Point, or even Applewood? I close on a house in Tablerock (not my first choice or purchase - but c'est la vie), two weeks from now. Great trail access with North Table in the backyard and White Ranch across the street, plus there's a pool you can dive into during the summer when you're all dirty after a ride. There are some good deals to be had if you are persistent, especially in Tablerock. Just make sure you take a good look at the foundation no matter where you choose and some homes don't have AC. What's up with that?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    some homes don't have AC. What's up with that?
    Ummm........ there are lots of houses in Denver without AC. If you manage your windows correctly AC is often unnecessary.

That said - my current house has AC and I *do* use it. But I'm lazy like that.

HHW
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Ok, we are getting closer to moving and my wife is going to be working in Boulder how is the commute from Genesee to Boulder? Also how often would we need 4wd in Genesee? Any other communities in the 350,00-450,000 price range that we should look at? Thanks for all the info.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Also how often would we need 4wd in Genesee?
    Some winters not at all.

Some winters every day between November and April.

HTH.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Commute

Ok, we are getting closer to moving and my wife is going to be working in Boulder how is the commute from Genesee to Boulder? Also how often would we need 4wd in Genesee? Any other communities in the 350,00-450,000 price range that we should look at? Thanks for all the info.
    This can be a crappy drive. Usually not an issue in the mornings, but getting home on Friday afternoon can be a problem, especially during ski season or on holiday weekends.

Highway 93 is very dangerous, and the weather can be a real bear. You know about the wind on Rocky Flats, right? Imagine snow blowing sideways at 50mph and icing over the road anywhere from 0-15 times a year. 4WD for sure, unless your wife's job allows her to call in 15 days a year. CDOT installed gates at Highway 93 and Highway 128, and at Highway 93 and 64th Ave. so that they can close the road more often. And they did close it several times last winter. 35 minutes on a good day, 3.5 hours on a really bad day.

At $350-450K I would live in Louisville if you have to work in Boulder. Golden would be a little better commute, but you are still at the mercy of 93.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit

At $350-450K I would live in Louisville if you have to work in Boulder. Golden would be a little better commute, but you are still at the mercy of 93.
    Golden is the better call. On the days they close 93 you go skiing!

mtbr member
    Genesse to Boulder would not be a fun commute, even worse in the winter and 93 does close often because of wind more than snow.

skillz to pay billz
    yep, once, on my way to the mountains I was truckin' along 93 at a decent clip and drove straight into a dust storm(that hadn't been there a second before), zero visibility, by the time I slowed down I ended up in the ditch(luckily no damage). Twenty feet further and I would have been down a large hillside and probably rolled over.
    Last edited by nOOby; 10-02-2007 at 09:29 AM.

Thread Terrorist
    I laugh at everyone slamming hwy 93. Sure, it closes every now and then. Once last year, once the year prior. How many times has I-70 closed? Many. And I-25? A true parking lot 95% of the year. Hwy 36 is not better alternative. If you really need to get in to work regardless of any conditions, live right beside it (work).

Hwy 93 moves quickly and is more reliable than other highways. When we get high wind warnings, you have a few outs (Indiana, Wadsworth, etc) for those few days. As Skaredshtlss said, go skiing those days.

The north portion of Golden to south Boulder is around 18 minutes. Genessee can add significant time to your route (up lookout, hwy 40, or I-70). I-70 going into and out of the mountains can close quickly due to one moron in the winter. You have two outs, one of which will be a traffic jam up hwy 40 (which parallels it). So, where ever you're looking, my guess is that you'll add 15 to 30 minutes on top of the Golden/Boulder commute.

Arvada would put you in a better location for options commuting to Boulder. Golden has around the same time as more arvadans, but your options are limited until you get north of North Table.

I've commuted 93 for 9 years. I've witnesseed horrible winds, blackout/blizzard conditions only because I wanted too. There are only a handful of days this is the case, and usually weather related. There are ways to get around it.

skillz to pay billz
    actually my situation was caused by a grass fire the previous summer that left the soil exposed. 93 isn't that bad, just wanted to shared my experience with the interwebs.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    I laugh at everyone slamming hwy 93. Sure, it closes every now and then. Once last year, once the year prior. How many times has I-70 closed? Many. And I-25? A true parking lot 95% of the year. Hwy 36 is not better alternative. If you really need to get in to work regardless of any conditions, live right beside it (work).

Hwy 93 moves quickly and is more reliable than other highways. When we get high wind warnings, you have a few outs (Indiana, Wadsworth, etc) for those few days. As Skaredshtlss said, go skiing those days.

The north portion of Golden to south Boulder is around 18 minutes. Genessee can add significant time to your route (up lookout, hwy 40, or I-70). I-70 going into and out of the mountains can close quickly due to one moron in the winter. You have two outs, one of which will be a traffic jam up hwy 40 (which parallels it). So, where ever you're looking, my guess is that you'll add 15 to 30 minutes on top of the Golden/Boulder commute.

Arvada would put you in a better location for options commuting to Boulder. Golden has around the same time as more arvadans, but your options are limited until you get north of North Table.

I've commuted 93 for 9 years. I've witnesseed horrible winds, blackout/blizzard conditions only because I wanted too. There are only a handful of days this is the case, and usually weather related. There are ways to get around it.
    93 is a great road and never crowded. Let's hope they never complete 470 and screw it up.

I commute from North Table to Westminister (36 and 104th). It takes me 14 minutes in the morning and 22 minutes in the evening (only because i take 72 out to 93 instead of Indiana to 64th to avoid traffic and lights).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast