boxcar

More Stolen Bikes

Hey Folks,

Just trying to help my buddy get the word out about his stolen bike.

The 2011 Red Specialized Enduro has Pushed Monarch, White Saddle, and a Demo Handlebar.

It was stolen Wednesday June 22nd, from Icebox Mountain Sports in Fraser. Witnesses report the bike being driven away in a newer full size extended cab white pickup truck.

So much of this these days, front range, mountains, everywhere.

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn.skratch View Post
    Hey Folks,

Just trying to help my buddy get the word out about his stolen bike.

The 2011 Red Specialized Enduro has Pushed Monarch, White Saddle, and a Demo Handlebar.

It was stolen Wednesday June 22nd, from Icebox Mountain Sports in Fraser. Witnesses report the bike being driven away in a newer full size extended cab white pickup truck.

So much of this these days, front range, mountains, everywhere.
    That sucks. In the past, the mountains were the one place you could relax a bit.

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    Anyone make a GPS tracking chip for bikes? Be fun to catch one of these jackwagons red handed. It wouldn't seem like such a good idea to steal when you are facing jail time. But, you reap what you sew. Figure if the jackwagon had $$ for a newer extended cab truck he could afford his own bike. Hope you friend gets back on trail soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpride View Post
    Anyone make a GPS tracking chip for bikes?
    The problem is power. It would be necessarily be an active transceiver, which requires power. Inductive charging may work...ala SonicCare tooth brushes, but now we're approaching cost issues. But a marketing firm might be able to spin it as a potential emergency location tool. There's also a behavioral issue...charging you bike. Its signal can also be shielded w tin foil (maybe even a space blanket). But yeah, I've thought about it... The other thought is a passive RFID chip, but that's only good if you have a detector.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

banned
    Anyone make a GPS tracking chip for bikes? Be fun to catch one of these jackwagons red handed. It wouldn't seem like such a good idea to steal when you are facing jail time. But, you reap what you sew. Figure if the jackwagon had $$ for a newer extended cab truck he could afford his own bike. Hope you friend gets back on trail soon.
    you don't need a chip

there is a device on the market that can be used

some people in long beach, ca used one to catch some fools with a bait bike

it led to a garage, filled with stolen bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    there is a device on the market that can be used
    Name, model, or manufacturer? What did those guys in CA use?

Edit: a free lunch seem to be pretty much vapor-ware...like your "device on the market". Been watching the DaVinci Code a bit too much?
    Last edited by Pau11y; 07-15-2011 at 10:05 AM.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Name, model, or manufacturer? What did those guys in CA use?
    Ditto on that question. I would think that with how expensive bikes have become, that there would be more than one product on the market.

13 yrs old in my own mind
    I know how it feels, last October at work in front of a busy door to my facility someone broke into my Jeep and took everything, including the small simple stuff like my sunflower seeds and my case of pepsi I bought that morning. Called the Denver PD and they said to fill out a report on line they were too busy. Still have not been contacted with any good news........

I was looking at ZOOMBACK GPS devices, the little device is pretty small and can fit in the seatpost of the bike. Battery last like 6 months, and the thing can be tracked from your laptop. My only question is if it would be able to transmit a signal from inside the tube?

That sucks, hopefully the bike turns up and they catch the fawkers.
    Too many hobbies and not the proper income to support them all. Where's my karma boat?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltoy View Post
    Called the Denver PD and they said to fill out a report on line they were too busy. Still have not been contacted with any good news........
    That is the DPD for you. My house was broken into a year and a half ago. Footprints came into my backyard, milled around the back door (which they kicked in) then footprints went down the alley into an abandoned house's garage. I showed the officer, and he didn't give two shits. Not to mention it took 3 hours for him to show up and another 2 hours for the "crime scene" team to show-up. All the while the teenagers who stole my goods were three houses down the road. The DPD: they'll kick your teeth in for talking on your phone, but won't do any real police work when the evidence is staring them in the face. Sad, but true.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltoy View Post
    I was looking at ZOOMBACK GPS devices, the little device is pretty small and can fit in the seatpost of the bike. Battery last like 6 months, and the thing can be tracked from your laptop. My only question is if it would be able to transmit a signal from inside the tube?
    Most likely no, unless you could rig up an external antenna. It should work if you have a CF seatpost and can push it up to the top (or are on a CF frame). If it's just surrounded by aluminum the aluminum would work like a Faraday cage and kill the signal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidmantis View Post
    If it's just surrounded by aluminum the aluminum would work like a Faraday cage and kill the signal.
    What about the alum itself as an antenna...the entire alum frame...?
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Oh man, I'm an EE dropout and just a dabbler these days. I'd guess the device has two antennas, one to receive the GPS signal and then whatever transmitter for the tracking system. I believe the transmitter would need to be tuned for that purpose and the frame itself would make a lousy antenna. But I'm not an RF engineer and don't even know enough to make stuff up to post on the Internet. Best bet would probably be to make some sort of concealed mount you can put tucked away under the saddle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatMutt View Post
    Ditto on that question. I would think that with how expensive bikes have become, that there would be more than one product on the market.
    So apparently I got hit w/ a negative rep power for asking what this device is from the post's author, "no free lunch". I wonder if he's under employment of MIcrosoft's R&D dept...all promises, zero delivery.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

banned
    dra-mat-ic

adjective /drəˈmatik/ 

4. (of a person or their behavior) Intending or intended to create an effect; theatrical

boxcar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    So apparently I got hit w/ a negative rep power for asking what this device is from the post's author, "no free lunch". I wonder if he's under employment of MIcrosoft's R&D dept...all promises, zero delivery.
    What happened? Those were some cool/interesting ideas. I don't get how the "rep" thing works, but that's a bummer if someone can knock you down just because he/she doesn't like a question being asked. With no questions, there are no answers.

At any rate I appreciate the interesting conversation.

shredder
    i was thinking about a gps tracking device installed in forks and uses a magnetic generator, the kind in those flashlights that you shake back in forth. so as long as you ride your bike and use the fork it stays charged and working. this idea applies to bigger forks, cause i do downhill (fox 40's, 888, boxxers etc) but i thought it was a good idea should design it, patent it and make millions but i dont know the right people. and i have had my bike stolen before. just would be a nice technolgy.
    say no to kona