Rolling

More Cops and Cyclists

Taken this morning in Boulder at Broadway and Baseline. The police car is on the bike path with only the pedestrian part of the sidewalk not blocked. The officer is in the car monitoring traffic, in particular people making right turns on the red arrow.

The question is, if the cop doesn't have his lights on, is it legal to block the bike path like this to catch traffic violators?

PS: The orange barrels are blocking a hole and have nothing to do with the cop.
    Last edited by lidarman; 05-16-2008 at 10:52 AM.

ride
    They sit on the crusher fine bike path that goes from town to Apple Valley all the time up here in Lyons, too.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Let's put a bike rack on I70.

mtbr member
    you should've approached him head-on and asserted your right-of-way...

or better yet, ride right into the hood, stunt-man style, head-on, and claim you didn't see him since no lights were on (you were obviously distracted by those orange barrels and didn't expect to find a vehicle blocking the bike lane).

Last edited by gotdirt; 05-16-2008 at 12:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Someone pretend to be blind and run into that car like Stevie Wonder (on a bike). Someone else take a video and both become instantly famous.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    When I lived in California, they used to park a police trailer right in the middle of the bike lane I used to get to work. The trailer was a mobile sign that showed cars their current speed using radar. So they managed to not only endanger my life by making me ride into traffic to get around it, but also pumped me full of radiation on my way by every day.

I notice this guy is also parked facing oncoming traffic, which would be another violation. The SF bike coalition used to give out these fake tickets bikers could put on cars, for violations like parking in bike lanes. You could ride up and put one under his wiper.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    He is the law - RESPECT MA AUTHORITAH!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    There's a spot on my bike ride home that cops like to park that blocks the crosswalk so I have to go riding around them. Most of the time they sit there and stare at me like a bubba w/ the motor running. Every once and a while they will actually get out of my way.

mtbr member
    The question is, if the cop doesn't have his lights on, is it legal to block the bike path like this to catch traffic violators?

Yes. Just ask him.

MTB B'dos
    Personally I think you should post this to the commissioner of police in your area and ask if this is all right by him. As I tell other cyclists, if you don't obey the rules of the road, how do you expect other road users to obey and respect you

fyyff
    He's trying to entrap you by making you pass him on the pedestian walk. When that happens, he'll light you up.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    As I tell other cyclists, if you don't obey the rules of the road, how do you expect other road users to obey and respect you
    Ever get stuck at a light that only changes when a car parks over the switch? Just one more example of how rules of the road were written with automobiles, not bikes, in mind...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Ever get stuck at a light that only changes when a car parks over the switch? Just one more example of how rules of the road were written with automobiles, not bikes, in mind...
    Bottom line is that the politics say that bikes have to obey the laws that cars do (cheezy default) and shouldn't use ped laws in specific cases, yet the reality is there really should be a different set of rules for bikes--from peds and cars altogether...

..but nobody wants to go there...nobody wants to open the can of worms because it's basically already an unspoken rule that cyclists can get away with things for the most part by pushing the fringes of the rules.

PS: I just looked at the photo again and noticed a cop on the other side of the road going the other way, it's right at the post.
    Last edited by lidarman; 05-17-2008 at 08:47 AM.

what nice teeth you have
    Been there.

MTB B'dos

Bonking ... not feelin' well Yes................

...........sadly I have and I just sit and wait for a car to come along unless it's some early time of the morning and there are no cars around. Sometimes I just play pedestrian and hop off the bike and cross the street that way if that happens and i'ts a somewhat busy time.

mtbr member
    happens to me all the time on my motorcycle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've been riding that path for years and there are more idiots rolling through the light and illegally turning right than ever before. Most of them don't realize or care that they are cutting across a bike path and that the bikers, runners, and walkers have right of way and consequently there have been numerous close calls and a few accidents. Maybe this will help. Hopefully they'll move south and do the same at Broadway and Dartmouth, Table Mesa, and Darley.