Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    skillz to pay billz

the moose is loose...

...in ned.

today I received this email from a neighbor sent to the neighborhood list serve. Better watch your backs this summer. Seriously though I'm not looking forward to seeing one since I was almost trampled in the never summer wilderness last year.

====

On my way home from Nederland, just about one hour ago, I saw two moose in the woods next to Magnolia Road, just a bit before Lazy Z! I suspect they were a cow and yearling, and they were pretty shy, moving away when I backed up to get a better look. Needless to say, I am delighted and excited about this! Moose are so BIG!!

Best,
    J

====

in other news, on my way to work this morning

Rolling
    Gosh, I will dream of being a poacher tonight...

skillz to pay billz
    hopefully these image won't inspire that. maybe I should blur that house out.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    I hear those things (the meeses's) are mean when you get them pissed off. I've only seen two of them, right above Winter Park.

What I want to know is, at what age do the elk start turning into moose?

; )
    Last edited by Godzilla; 03-27-2008 at 07:30 AM.
    Now with more vitriol!

skillz to pay billz
    you don't want to eff with moose, believe me

30 something dad
    This is so funny. Are western moose deranged? Since moving to Colorado everyone I've talked to seem to think that moose are big mean animals. During rutting season the males can get aggressive, but I've encountered plenty of them in NH and ME and never felt wary. In Baxter State Park I was less than 20 feet from three and they had little regard for my presence. Are they a different breed out here? Seriously, I'm curious why they have this repuation in CO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    I hear those things (the meeses's) are mean when you get them pissed off. I've only seen two of them, right above Winter Park.

What I want to know is, at what age do the elk start turning into moose?

; )
    Its actually at what elevation the deer turn to elk and subsequently at what elevation the elk turn to moose.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I don't think it's just Colorado... I was reading about MikeCuriak and his trip to alaska every year. He seemed VERY wary of disturbing them (both because they are starving and skittish and because they are unpredictable). From what I've read, more people are attacked by moose in Alaska than by bears. Just like all situations with potentially dangerous wildlife it is a good idea to give them plenty of distance and pay attention to their body language.

http://wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ldlife.agmoose

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by truepatriot09
    This is so funny. Are western moose deranged? Since moving to Colorado everyone I've talked to seem to think that moose are big mean animals. During rutting season the males can get aggressive, but I've encountered plenty of them in NH and ME and never felt wary. In Baxter State Park I was less than 20 feet from three and they had little regard for my presence. Are they a different breed out here? Seriously, I'm curious why they have this repuation in CO.
    I've noticed a trend among Colorado folks to fear whatever wildlife they don't encounter on a daily basis. You should search the archives for mountain lions. There are some good reads out there on that little subject.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

skillz to pay billz
    It's well documented that moose can be aggressive. Especially if a calf is involved. I'm not a fearful person just wary after a close encounter.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Moose are cuddly little things like all wild animals. They'd never harm you. I like to feed them Doritos from the Kum & Go.

A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    It's well documented that moose can be aggressive. Especially if a calf is involved. I'm not a fearful person just wary after a close encounter.
    It's also well documented that soccer mom's can be aggressive. Especially if the last parking spacing infront of Kohls is involved. I'm probably more intimidated by the soccer mom than the moose in that case.

I think the rule of nature is "don't F with animals and they typically won't F with you."
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Moose have horns. Hence, they're horny.

A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Perpetually single track
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Moose have horns. Hence, they're horny.
    Working hard today ehh? Least my company pays me to surf...

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/bos/555888139.html
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

30 something dad
    Look obviously any wild animal can be unpredictable and given a Moose's size, they are not to be f'd with. I'm just saying that I've probably heard more moose are scary stay away warnings in CO than stay away from Mtn. Lion warnings, and I find that funny. New England is littered with moose and the only thing that people warn you about is hitting them with your car, because typically that means instant deah for those inside the car.

The Dog.
    I remember reading a Gary Paulsen account of a moose encounter in which a female charged at him. He climbed a big pine tree, and the moose proceeded to ram the tree with its head, almost knocking the tree down.

Sure...not aggressive at all.

30 something dad
    He was probably hucking beer cans and rocks at her.

Seriously though, what was the situation? Grizzlies will leave people alone for the most part unless they feel cornered or you get between a mama and her cubs. Having been around a lot of moose I have a really hard time believe that the female moose just randomly charged him. He either surprised her or was to close to a calf.

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by truepatriot09
    He was probably hucking beer cans and rocks at her.

Seriously though, what was the situation? Grizzlies will leave people alone for the most part unless they feel cornered or you get between a mama and her cubs. Having been around a lot of moose I have a really hard time believe that the female moose just randomly charged him. He either surprised her or was to close to a calf.
    This was a looong time ago that I read this, so I honestly don't remember the details. Though it seems obvious that Paulsen wouldn't be likely to harass her, it is very possible that she had a calf. I guess my point is that when they get pissed...they really go all out. And the fact that they are the size of a van, makes that behavior especially dangerous.

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    It's also well documented that soccer mom's can be aggressive. Especially if the last parking spacing infront of Kohls is involved. I'm probably more intimidated by the soccer mom than the moose in that case.
    luckily we don't have too many soccer moms up here in Ned.

Seriously though my point of this thread wasn't to start a hysteria about moose or a flame fest, just to give folks who ride up here the heads up that they are around. Awareness is king.

If I was really that paranoid I would move down to Arvada or some $hit.
    Last edited by nOOby; 03-27-2008 at 10:26 AM.

I've noticed a trend among Colorado folks to fear whatever wildlife they don't encounter on a daily basis. You should search the archives for mountain lions. There are some good reads out there on that little subject.
    You mock and yet you've never been attacked by the dangerous Evergreen rabbit. Western rabbits are evil!

You silly sod.

Ed

Leash Law Enforcer
    I've noticed a trend among Colorado folks to fear whatever wildlife they don't encounter on a daily basis.
    Try living in SoCal. The sound of a coyote strikes fear in the hearts of grown men and seeing a deer is a life changing experience.

Growing up in CO, we didn't really fear much of anything, bears in camps, etc. Maybe it's just the transplants.
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinch
    Try living in SoCal. The sound of a coyote strikes fear in the hearts of grown men
    Awesome. "You'uns wanna take special care when in coyote territory, be certain not to lie completely still for extended periods of time while you have a pocket full 'o carrion - otherwise you face the very real threat of being nibbled alive!"
    Now with more vitriol!

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    You mock and yet you've never been attacked by the dangerous Evergreen rabbit. Western rabbits are evil!

You silly sod.
    You've obviously never seen the rabbi[d]s in Evergreen's forgotten little stepsister, Conifer. Those suckers make Godzilla (the mythical beast, not the human, bicycle riding incarnated) run for the hills.

Living the High Life
    I don't worry about Moose, just give them their space, same thing with bears. They're bigger so they get their way, its usual nature of things. That, and when I am minding my own business in the woods, hiking biking etc I wouldn't want some person bothering me and taking pictures, maybe Moose get pissed off at tourists too.

Really, CA people are funny, I was riding Dakota ridge the other day and several cars were pulled over (with CA plates) and they were super excited to see mule deer! Wow, freakin' deer!

I was in San Fran a month ago and was talking to some of my old roommate's friends and they couldn't believe that we see wild animals here and in WI! I told them how in Green Bay there's deer, fox, turkeys in my parents back yard, they were excited.

Have we forgotten about rabid marmots?

ridin dirtay

no flames intended

Quote Originally Posted by Pinch
    Try living in SoCal. The sound of a coyote strikes fear in the hearts of grown men and seeing a deer is a life changing experience.

Growing up in CO, we didn't really fear much of anything, bears in camps, etc. Maybe it's just the transplants.

Thats an ironic statement from the "leash law enforcer".
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast