mtbr member
    Jun 2004

monument preserve - what's a good loop to get a taste?

A couple of us are going to ride Limbaugh tomorrow & figured we'd check out the trails in the preserve after that. If we are starting from the parking pulloff off of Red Rocks Dr. (up above the preserve), what's a good loop to hit the best stuff? Technical's good; flowy is good - just the best trails you guys have...

Another question - are the black pearl and DLS trails worth incorporating in our loop or should we just pedal up the road?

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by manitoumtbr
    Another question - are the black pearl and DLS trails worth incorporating in our loop or should we just pedal up the road?
    It's worth it to hit Pearl on the way up--especially if you're parking at Red Rocks. DLS is only ridable south to north so you wouldn't want to hit it on your way up to Limbaugh--just go up the road.

It's hard to say what trails to hit in the preserve after you're finished with Limbaugh. I'd say to hit Flow Dog or Middle Stoopid, and then rid back up Renegade, but since nothing is labeled, that really doesn't tell you anything. You're best bet is to just get lost--you're bound to find something fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Thanks for the tips

Is the turnoff for black pearl marked or easy to find (it turns off the trail up Mt. Herman, correct)?

I have a map with most of the names of the trails in the preserve marked, so I can piece together what people say to take - anyway, half the fun of exploring a new place is getting lost, right?

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Is the turnoff for black pearl marked or easy to find (it turns off the trail up Mt. Herman, correct)?

I have a map with most of the names of the trails in the preserve marked, so I can piece together what people say to take - anyway, half the fun of exploring a new place is getting lost, right?
    If you're parking at the north lot off of Red Rocks Rd, take the trail that starts out on the west side of the lot. Look for a new (cut last fall) trail about 15 feet up from the road. That will meander back and forth a while. When it ends, take the singletrack left and turn right (west) when you get to a junction. That will take you to the memorial. The pearl starts behind the memorial heading south.
    Last edited by kristian; 05-06-2011 at 03:02 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I might be doing a big day of 3 or 4 loops in Monument tomorrow and I know most of the good trails there. Let me know if you want company and/or a guide.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

We'd be up for that...

Quote Originally Posted by kjbike
    I might be doing a big day of 3 or 4 loops in Monument tomorrow and I know most of the good trails there. Let me know if you want company and/or a guide.
    PM'd you...

I think I can.

What time are you riding

Thinking of riding tomorrow since Sunday is mothers day, whats your start time?

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Joe-I'm guessing the start will be about 9:45.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Yup...

Joe-I'm guessing the start will be about 9:45.
    We were thinking of parking in the north lot on Red Rocks, but since we aren't that familiar with the trails there, we can be talked into something else. We would probably get there ~9:45 - riding ~ 10am.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Its a little less of a drive to the trailhead right on Mt Herman Rd. I like the little trails from there to Red Rocks for a warm up and then more trail time to finish with on the last loop.

I'm with stupid
    SO, are we meeting up in the normal parking spot? I ask cause i have no idea where this other red rocks lot is you are speaking of.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I plan to start from the normal lot off of Mt Herman Rd. I'll get there 9:45ish. Any chance I can meet you somewhere to hitch a ride Hitech?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Good job! Sounds good to me...

Its a little less of a drive to the trailhead right on Mt Herman Rd.
    That's the one right @ Mt. Herman & Nursery Rds? - We'll see whoever wants to join us there @ 9:45.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That's the one right @ Mt. Herman & Nursery Rds? - We'll see whoever wants to join us there @ 9:45.
    Yep, on the south side of Mt Herman Rd there is a little dirt lot with a big National Forest sign.