mtbr member
    May 2006

Monument is good to go

I rode Herman Trail yesterday, and the conditions were perfect. Almost completely dry. Man though some of those upper parts kicked my arse. Some very techy climbs, but doable for the most part if my lungs would have held up.
    Note to self though: Not a good trail to wear sleeveless shirt.

In case anyone sees a bunch of skin hanging off of the bush tips, those are mine.

friend of Apex
    Sweet, that trail is on the list
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    gotta try out Renegade and Upper Stoopid up there!

Inflexable...
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    Sweet, that trail is on the list

Trail(s)...many trails...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member
    Monument is not good to go for today! lots of ice and snow....freakin winter!

I think I can.

Not enough snow

I tell you what, if we don't get a couple feet of snow in the spring up in Monument its going to be a rough summer.

Don't curse the snow, praise the snow

P.S,
    trees could use some trimming, FMH (Friends of Mount Herman) starting to gear up for trail work in the next month or so, any volunteers?

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Phase
    I rode Herman Trail yesterday, and the conditions were perfect. Almost completely dry. Man though some of those upper parts kicked my arse. Some very techy climbs, but doable for the most part if my lungs would have held up.
    Note to self though: Not a good trail to wear sleeveless shirt.

In case anyone sees a bunch of skin hanging off of the bush tips, those are mine.

So you went up and back on trail 715? The bushes are much better then they were last fall, many hours cutting bushes, but still not done! Clearing 715 the entire way is somewhat technical feat, but extremely fun. There is one section that we re-routed due to a fallen over tree (by the rock ramp).

Kurt I thought there was only one trail, 715!

We have been getting a bit spoiled with this weather lately, so a brief dusting of snow and cold isn't really much. I was up at riding at 8500 feet on Sunday and there was only a couple of big drift's to ford. I can't recall where I was since there is only one trail in Monument.

Peace.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    So you went up and back on trail 715? The bushes are much better then they were last fall, many hours cutting bushes, but still not done! Clearing 715 the entire way is somewhat technical feat, but extremely fun. There is one section that we re-routed due to a fallen over tree (by the rock ramp).

Peace.
    Yep, did the up and back. I think I know where you re-routed it. Is it a small pile of rocks that form a ramp up to the bigger flat rock to the left of the fallen tree (going up)?

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEMTBR COLORADO
    I tell you what, if we don't get a couple feet of snow in the spring up in Monument its going to be a rough summer.

P.S,
    trees could use some trimming, FMH (Friends of Mount Herman) starting to gear up for trail work in the next month or so, any volunteers?
    I volunteer Hamster Yeti Joe!

Yes, it has been way too dry this winter, we need some moisture.

I have worn out a couple of set's of hand clippers and had some blisters from 715 bush trimming work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEMTBR COLORADO

P.S,
    count me in for this! I worked with SORBA when I lived in ATL, and I miss the trail maintaining days....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well Andrew, I have a deal for you. FOMP is starting up in April this year, the second Tuesday of every month. We meet at 6pm in the main parking lot just off Mt Herman road there. We provide tools. Go to fomp.org and join - google checkout even. Memberships go to tools purchases, scout projects, trees/reforestation, and this year to signage.

Very likely we will be meeting in a smaller group EVERY tuesday night, and at 5pm instead of 6pm. I'll keep this board posted on that. Our focus this year is to prevent any more social trails from opening up, and to work very hard at preventing the widening of trails - apexing corners with large rocks buried in so they stay put, while preserve the carving for bikes and other trail traffic. The first night we are going to split into pairs and clean as many of the existing drains out as we can.

If trail work is not your passion - we have some dedicated teams working on reforesting the burn area. This group is going to do seedling release - cutting the oak out from around the seedlings trying to grow in the burn area. There are 10 year old douglas fir seedlings that are only calf height, partly because of drought, mostly because they compete for light and moisture with the oak that has taken over the burn. This group also does a planting of new seedlings in april - especially where the burn was hot and no natural seedlings have come back. This fire was in 1989, so in areas where there still are no seedlings we are trying to help bring it back.

4-April-2009 is an Eagle Scout project planting new seedlings in the burn area, just below Mt Herman road, where the burn crossed it.

Late May is another project, out on 715 where the trail is washed and too steep as it heads under the power lines for the first time, dropping into the North Beaver Creek drainage.

Join us for any or all, we can always use the help. Perhaps we should bring lights and do night trail work, or night rides after we work trails!

jon.

mtbr member
    when do the Tuesday night meetings start???

Hairshirt Rider
    The second tuesday in april maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by jnordby
    FOMP is starting up in April this year, the second Tuesday of every month.
    or perhaps the first tuesday in april

Quote Originally Posted by jnordby
    Very likely we will be meeting in a smaller group EVERY tuesday night, and at 5pm instead of 6pm.

mtbr member
    I'm in!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    We start on the second Tuesday of April. Makes it the 14th. Official time is 6pm and if you are a bit late we leave a note in the parking lot where we are at (on an orange cone, cannot miss it).
    Unofficial some of us skip out of work and start at 5, meet in the parking lot, to get more done.

If the dry weather persists, we might try starting sooner - end of March. I'll post here if that is case, and fomp.org will list it as well.

Thanks gang,
    jon