Oh, So Interesting!

Montezuma to Keystone Offroad?

We will be doing the Lenawee trail tomorrow... can anyone advise on any routes from Montezuma to Keystone, preferably on singletrack? If not, I was thinking about seeing if something from Saints John Rd. connects to Keystone Mtn or possibly a trail down Jones Gulch. PMs accepted if you don't want to post up unmapped trails. Thanks in advance! Beers offered for good advice and if anyone wants to go it would be sweet to have a shuttle setup to avoid riding from Keystone to A-Basin on the road!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You can go up Deer Creek and down either the Middle fork of the Swan, or Giribaldi Gulch to the North Fork, then to the CT, then down to Keystone Gulch to Keystone. All options require some burly climbing but make for a fantastic epic day of above treeline riding.

Oh, So Interesting!
    I would like to end up at the top of the lifts on Dercum mt if possible... I know there's going to be a couple thousand ft. minimum climb from Montezuma to Dercum no matter which way you go but going all the way South to North Fork and the CT is a long ways and maybe more than we can handle in a day... although 150 --> W. Aquaduct looks interesting. Google Earth might be useful here ;-)

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Well, from up Saint's John's you can go up a little sub gulch that has a typically gnarly jeep track that is probably even gnarlier due to the great flood of '11 toward Bear mtn, then bushwack/carry over the ridge to the ridge that Keystone sits on. You'll pick up the access road that the snow cats use to access the snowcat skiing on Keystone Mtn. You can also bushwack/carry over the ridge onto West Ridge and the CT, there are a couple old logging roads that you can use to make it a little less painful but to be honest, I'm not sure I'd recommend either, its easy to end up not where you thought you'd come out (spoken from experience )
    The ways I've done the Lenewee/keystone loop is either over Deer Creek and down the Middle Fork or over Wise Mtn down Giribaldi to the North Fork and either up the CT to West Ridge or just blast down Tiger Rd to the Dredge, then go up and over to the homestead/aqueduct.
    There's some unofficial single track on the west side of the Zuma area, but none of it goes all the way up and over as far as I know but that side of the county isn't as well known to me so maybe I'm missing something.

What the hell though, life's an adventure, go get lost, dehydrated, scared by lightning, scratched and bloody from bushwacking. You'll have a great story to tell for years.

Oh, So Interesting!
    That's exactly the route I had in mind after looking at Google Earth, it looks like there's trail all the way there, although it's hard to tell if it goes all the way up Keystone mtn. Worst case looks like 1/2 mile bushwhack. We'll have to bring map and compass to make sure we hike up the right saddle in case the Sts John Rd offshoot peters out before climbing up Keystone mtn. Looks do-able though, then we get to end with a ride down the dh trails instead of 6 miles on pavement.

lone rider
    Joey's Trail? I think that's what it's called.
    Off the beaten path ………

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by big galoot View Post
    Joey's Trail? I think that's what it's called.
    Off the beaten path ………
    Joey's doesn't go all the way though.

lone rider
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Joey's doesn't go all the way though.

I seem to have made it all the way.
    HIGH ON THE DIVIDE: Loop 11
    You would come out midstation just off Logger's Way.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by big galoot View Post

I seem to have made it all the way.
    HIGH ON THE DIVIDE: Loop 11
    You would come out midstation just off Logger's Way.
    Rode that yesterday from keystone. Fun trail.