Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Monarch Crest trail report?

Can anyone give me an inside scoop on riding the Monarch Crest Trail? Hoping to get it in this summer.

mtbr member
    Not sure what you mean by inside scoop. I've only done it once, but my biggest recommendation is: take the shuttle up!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member

Monarch Crest trail report?

Be prepared to climb. A lot. Most of the downhill is at the road at the end. If you are not feeling strong there is a bailout before the Rainbow trail.

Erik

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    Be prepared to climb. A lot. Most of the downhill is at the road at the end. If you are not feeling strong there is a bailout before the Rainbow trail.

Erik
    Wait a second... I don't remember any climbing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Wait a second... I don't remember any climbing.
    Besides physical decrepitude, loosing memory is also a sign you're getting old!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Besides physical decrepitude, loosing memory is also a sign you're getting old!
    I dunno... Monarch Crest just has a way of making you forget any climbing. At least the ways down I've tried. You can see the ribbon of trail if you look closely.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Monarch Crest trail report?-p1010244.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gered Dunne View Post
    Nice write-up. That blog could use a fact-checker.

Goat Head
    I don't take the shuttle, I hitchhike. Drive up to the top of Monarch Pass and park. Do the ride and include Rainbow Trail. Once back in Poncha Springs, ONE of you stands beside the road in FULL riding gear and hitch back up. Your buddies hold your bike OUT OF SIGHT. It is pretty obvious what you need and the wait will be short, promise. Spend that shuttle money on food and beers in Salida! Watch the weather, I've been snowed on. If the weather does not cooperate, ride the local Salida trails as they will not disappoint.

2010-08-03 10.00.56

Up above treeline.

2010-08-03 09.59.49

More above treeline.

2010-08-03 12.07.04

After the Silver Creek descent. A great aspen grove traverse.
    Last edited by SomethingRelatedToBiking; 02-03-2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: added some photo links

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Nice write-up. That blog could use a fact-checker.
    There's a huge grey area between fact and opinion don't you think?

Team Velveeta™
    Well, kind of. Unless what you're talking about is a fact like that the Monarch Crest Trail ends at Marshall Pass, and the rest of what he described was just what most people do as part of their Monarch Crest Ride. Also, his descriptions of the turns and questions are kind of vague. That's not really fact .vs opinion, more like random observations of someone who didn't know the route but managed to figure it out because he had a copy of Absolute Bikes' excellent map.

The snarky comments about everything from food to South Park, sure. Opinion that isn't necessarily wrong, just snarky.

Speaking of buying a shuttle .vs hitching--there's another option. Ride your butt up there. I don't think I've done the Crest as part of a shuttle day since 2011 sometime. Can't remember... But you don't need to ride the highway all the way up. There are alternates. One of the detours has become a bit more difficult in the last couple years thanks to a cranky land-owner with a shotgun who has started getting up earlier and sitting near his window in summer.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Nope. Facts tend to be... well, factual. Opinions, OTOH... you know what they say about those.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    thanks for pointing that out. i've amended the TR to reflect the difference in the trail and the ride.

hopefully no one thinks they can actually bring the blog along and use it to navigate in the backcountry. there's a big difference between adventure journalism and actual paper maps. i never like to give detailed turn by turn instruction, for the sake of liability and leaving something to the imagination. the absolute bikes map is excellent, and any out-of-towner should have a copy before they tackle the trail.

would you mind sending along alternate routes to the shuttle? i'll post a quick follow up and add that as an option. gered@noreasterbackcountry.com

thanks Tom!

Team Velveeta™
    Can anyone give me an inside scoop on riding the Monarch Crest Trail? Hoping to get it in this summer...
    ...found a good review with some nice pics.

Nor'Easter Backcountry: The Monarch Crest Trail, Salida, Colorado...
    thanks for pointing that out. i've amended the TR...

hopefully no one thinks they can actually bring the blog along and use it to navigate in the backcountry. there's a big difference between adventure journalism and actual paper maps...would you mind sending along alternate routes to the shuttle? i'll post a quick follow up and add that as an option. gered@noreasterbackcountry.com

thanks Tom!
    OK Gered, you are a laugh riot. You start a thread asking for a Crest Trail trail report. Then... you find one! A good review with nice pics...

And, lo and behold, it's your own Trail Report!

So you fancy yourself an Adventure Journalist do you?

Thanks so much for the good belly laugh. You keep adventuring and journalisming and blowing your own horn. One day you'll be a famous blog star.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Glad you like the site, pics and review! I would have just posted the TR but for some reason trying to share TR's on MTBR without posting 10 times first is considered spam. And a good review with nice pics is never spam

Between you, SkaredShtles, and my mom, we're inches closer to superblogging infamy and tens of dollars in profit. Hope you check back every now and again. It's a good site with some quality east coast resources if you ever find yourself out this way.

So, about those alternates?

Addicted to Dirt
    Troll Level: 10th Dan

Team Velveeta™
    ...So, about those alternates?
    Here's a story about my favorite alternative to a shuttle. It's been a few years, but it's an OK story:

Team Velveeta™: Plan Fockin' A

GPX from that night and day, if you're familiar with that technology:

http://tom-purvis.com/gpx/FiggerEight.gpx

Why doncha give that one a try, since you're "Hoping to get it in this summer."

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    awesome. sounds like a hell of a day. i'd have to do half a hundred laps to get the kind of distance and elevation you have in salida. you guys are lucky.

mtbr member
    Wow, way to introduce yourself to the community and build trust for your blog. FAIL.

First you lie to us all here, then direct us to your self aggrandizing blog where you insult anyone who enjoys better riding than VT offers (I've ridden there, before you accuse me of not knowing)... which is actually a lot of people! Your attempts at self deprecating humor fall far short of actually making people think you're actually joking about those things. And maybe you're not... I honestly can't tell. I guess that speaks to your writing ability, huh?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    ... direct us to your self aggrandizing blog where you insult anyone who enjoys better riding than VT offers ...
    To me this is just high comedy. Like, what kind of world does this dude live in? Does he have some expectation that people in Colorado (readers of the mtbr FR forum) are going to start going to his out-of-state blog for information about riding here? Or that after being introduced to his blog by one (flawed) post about riding in Colorado, we are going to use it to read up for when we make a trip to Vermont to ride?

I'm sure the riding there is very nice, but honestly why would anyone who lives in CO ever go there specifically to ride? 30 Hours of driving. When I can get to anywhere in Utah in 10. Anywhere in Oregon in 20. Whistler, BC in 25.

And if I drive to one of those places to ride, I'll have places to stop and check out on the way. On the way to Vermont I'd have mountain bike meccas like Indiana to visit.

I'm going to go to Vermont? No, I'm not.

Man, unless I'm moving there, that blog could not be any less relevant to me than a blog about crocheting artisinal underwear from skunk hair.

But hey Gered, keep it coming. It's always nice to have a good chuckle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post

Man, unless I'm moving there, that blog could not be any less relevant to me than a blog about crocheting artisinal underwear from skunk hair.

I know the year is still young, but this is my nomination for post of the year! +Rep must be shared for the laughs!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    thank you for welcoming me so warmly into your community. i'm sorry that you missed my shock and awe at the grandeur of your state.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    To me this is just high comedy. Like, what kind of world does this dude live in? Does he have some expectation that people in Colorado (readers of the mtbr FR forum) are going to start going to his out-of-state blog for information about riding here? Or that after being introduced to his blog by one (flawed) post about riding in Colorado, we are going to use it to read up for when we make a trip to Vermont to ride?

I'm sure the riding there is very nice, but honestly why would anyone who lives in CO ever go there specifically to ride? 30 Hours of driving. When I can get to anywhere in Utah in 10. Anywhere in Oregon in 20. Whistler, BC in 25.

And if I drive to one of those places to ride, I'll have places to stop and check out on the way. On the way to Vermont I'd have mountain bike meccas like Indiana to visit.

hey man dont hate on the Cutters. they're better men than you or I.

Team Velveeta™
    thank you for welcoming me so warmly into your community. i'm sorry that you missed my shock and awe at the grandeur of your state.

... I like Colorado quite a bit. Thankfully, most people I met there were from Vermont...

through honest-to-goodness South Park, CO, which is just as miserable and surreal as the cartoon makes it out to be. Lots of grazing cattle and vacant stares from local frackers. Liquified petroleum is the #1 in South Park, but methamphetamines are not far off in 2nd...those meth addicts back in South Park kind of freaked me out...

You'll know you're there when you find yourself saying "HEY! Who let dirt bikers ride up here???" Colorado did.
    Dude, you tried to play us. You made some snide comments about us. Sure, you liked our mountains. But how could you not like them?

We all know how cool our mountains are. Every once in a while we put down the meth long enough to look around. We don't really need an elitist blogger from Vermont to help us out.

Thanks though.
    Last edited by TomP; 02-05-2013 at 02:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Dude, you tried to play us. You made some snide comments about us. Sure, you liked our mountains. But how could you not like them?

We all know how cool our mountains are. Every once in a while we put down the meth long enough to look around. We don't really need an elitist blogger from Vermont to help us out.

Thanks though.
    wow. you guys are bunch of mean girls aren't you. hell, i was just sampling how active these forums are. apparently they're extremely active and dominated by huge pricks like you.

i guess mainly i'm just sorry you had to grow up in south park dude. the truth cuts right to the bone doesn't it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast