mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Monarch Crest with all this rain?

How does Monarch Crest hold up with this quantity of moisture? I was planning to ride it Friday but don't want to hurt the trails or be riding trails that are already in rough shape.

If it's raining Friday morning I'm probably gonna bail anyway; no sense destroying my brakes & drivetrain and I've done enough all-day rides in the rain from my years of living in Seattle & Olympia.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The actual crest portion (at or above treeline) is mostly gravel so it tends to soak up rain (expect puddles) but once you get back into the trees it turns to actual soil/mud and just past the shelter cabin (Greens Creek junction?) that climb has some clay. If it rains hard the day before (or raining for several days) which is likely in the monsoon I wouldn't ride it. Getting caught up there in a monsoon would not be fun either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Good to know about the clay and the soil/mud in the trees. I was thinking the alpine parts would probably dry out quickly but didn't really think about the *rest* of it...

And yeah, being on that trail in a storm would suck in all sorts of ways.

Thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    Do yourself a favor and hit Buffalo Creek instead. It's going to be in PRIME condition this weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Do yourself a favor and hit Buffalo Creek instead. It's going to be in PRIME condition this weekend.
    OH! Hey now! I was wondering what to do this wknd!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Team Velveeta™

Hello Autumn

Monarch Crest with all this rain?-1236385_10201970948134362_1964850192_n.jpg

Monarch Pass. Right now.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1236385_10201970948134362_1964850192_n.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	834180

Monarch Pass. Right now.

Oh, what sad times are these....
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I was organizing a ride for the Crest on Thursday of this week. The weather looks nice the rest of the week. Do you think there would be any chance to squeeze in a ride with that amount of snow currently on the ground?

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by drmurrow View Post
    I was organizing a ride for the Crest on Thursday of this week. The weather looks nice the rest of the week. Do you think there would be any chance to squeeze in a ride with that amount of snow currently on the ground?
    Yep. I wouldn't consider this to be a Crest-closer. There could still be a little slush in shady places by later this week, but that depends entirely on what things are like the rest of the week. I'll let you know what I hear as the week wears on. But I wouldn't scrub the mission just yet.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Yep. I wouldn't consider this to be a Crest-closer. There could still be a little slush in shady places by later this week, but that depends entirely on what things are like the rest of the week. I'll let you know what I hear as the week wears on. But I wouldn't scrub the mission just yet.
    Sunny and windy all week is just what the dr ordered to clear the Crest up...

tiny rider
    I got in a Crest ride on Friday. There were some ice crystals in the puddles up high, and numerous little wet holes coming down through the trees. All in all, though, the trail was in great shape.

I hope it's open for you too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks Tom. I will look for an update from you in a few days. I had so much fun on the crest 3 weeks ago I am trying to squeeze in another ride before the season winds down.

mtbr member
    Some buddies and I are converging on Salida from Colorado Springs, Durango, and DC this weekend. We're hoping the Crest Trail is good to go! If not, would it be safe to assume that the Rainbow Trail and "S" (in town) trails should be good to go?

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgardner73 View Post
    Some buddies and I are converging on Salida from Colorado Springs, Durango, and DC this weekend. We're hoping the Crest Trail is good to go! If not, would it be safe to assume that the Rainbow Trail and "S" (in town) trails should be good to go?
    Totally. Especially if the prediction for the week's weather comes true.

The Rainbow Trail from Silver Creek to 285 is almost always perfectly good through mid to late October, the section of Rainbow South of town on Methodist almost always good through a large part of November.

The S-Mountain trails (AKA The Arkansas Hills Trail System) as well as the Methodist Mountain Trail System (Little Rainbow, Double Rainbow, Lost Trail, Racetrack) is almost certain to be fine until Christmas. Last year we rode that stuff every month of the year...

mtbr member
    Totally. Especially if the prediction for the week's weather comes true.

The Rainbow Trail from Silver Creek to 285 is almost always perfectly good through mid to late October, the section of Rainbow South of town on Methodist almost always good through a large part of November.

The S-Mountain trails (AKA The Arkansas Hills Trail System) as well as the Methodist Mountain Trail System (Little Rainbow, Double Rainbow, Lost Trail, Racetrack) is almost certain to be fine until Christmas. Last year we rode that stuff every month of the year...
    Perfect! Thanks Tom!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Rode Monarch Crest for the first time yesterday. Got a good bit of cold drizzle on the way up but it wasn't too bad. Cleared up by the time I hit Green's Creek which I have to say is my favorite trail I've ever ridden. Hoping I can get one more ride in up there and hit Green's again and Agate which I heard is even better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Monarch Crest with all this rain?-crest1.jpg  

Monarch Crest with all this rain?-crest2.jpg  

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hard to say what the Monarch pass area got but there is 4-8" of snow above TL in the Summit area today. It was cold, broken clouds and windy today. The next couple days are supposed to be fairly nice then another wintery storm on NW flow Thurs-Fri. That might not mean much for the Monarch area, but I'd have a plan B in mind.

Recovering
    7" of snow at Monarch Mountain... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...2&l=58c7bf0f0b
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Hard to say what the Monarch pass area got but there is 4-8" of snow above TL in the Summit area today. It was cold, broken clouds and windy today. The next couple days are supposed to be fairly nice then another wintery storm on NW flow Thurs-Fri. That might not mean much for the Monarch area, but I'd have a plan B in mind.
    True, having a Plan B is a good idea. It's looking super nice today, and the ground isn't frozen, so I can't imagine this snow (even 7-8" of it) sticking around for long. But if Thursday does bring in another dose of winter it could be pretty much fat lady singing up on the Crest for 2013.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    True, having a Plan B is a good idea. It's looking super nice today, and the ground isn't frozen, so I can't imagine this snow (even 7-8" of it) sticking around for long. But if Thursday does bring in another dose of winter it could be pretty much fat lady singing up on the Crest for 2013.
    Does Thursday morning/afternoon look clear to ride? Taking two days off later this week to ride in between a new job, but it looks like my high country plans might get crushed by snow.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Klucks View Post
    Does Thursday morning/afternoon look clear to ride? Taking two days off later this week to ride in between a new job, but it looks like my high country plans might get crushed by snow.
    From what I see from the NWS, Thursday looks good. Friday shows 30% of snow when you focus on Monarch Pass. But yeah, if I had to put money on it, I'd say you could get a Crest Ride in on Thursday.

Never know until the day comes up here though. Have a Plan B (there are other rides around here you know--Salida's town weather shows sunny and 60's every day this week).

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I am still banking on a Thursday crest ride. I hope a lot of the snow melts today and tomorrow.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    South-facing stuff appears to be clearing. Bodes well...

Chronic 1st-timer

No good

Top of Green's y-day:

They tried to roll along the crest next, but the 24" drifts turned them around, and they headed back down Green's.
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    Top of Green's y-day:

They tried to roll along the crest next, but the 24" drifts turned them around, and they headed back down Green's.
    Was this yesterday? I'm all packed to spend a few days out there to bike Monarch. This makes me think my plans are doomed.

mtbr member
    Was this yesterday? I'm all packed to spend a few days out there to bike Monarch. This makes me think my plans are doomed.
    I spent a last week in Durango for work. Never been there before so didn't bring a bike...not like I would have had time anyway. That town has potential! I'd look there for some dry dirt and fulfilling your yayaz!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    I spent a last week in Durango for work. Never been there before so didn't bring a bike...not like I would have had time anyway. That town has potential! I'd look there for some dry dirt and fulfilling your yayaz!
    Durango has potential. Yes.

Everybody on this forum gets all misty when they talk about Crested Butte. And it's fine. But I actually think Durango is better. The options from town are vast. And it's much more multi-season.

When I finally marry the rich lady I been watching for, I'm going to order her to buy me a house in Durango.

As I've said so many times that I sound like an idiot There is more to ride near Salida than just the Monarch Crest.

But yeah. Go to Durango. Ride Hermosa Creek 5 days in a row.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I am pulling the plug on my Monarch Crest trip tomorrow. Oh well, atleast I was able to ride it 3 weeks ago.

The MTB Lab
    Quote Originally Posted by drmurrow View Post
    I am pulling the plug on my Monarch Crest trip tomorrow. Oh well, atleast I was able to ride it 3 weeks ago.
    Yeah, doesn't look good. You check check out the live feeds from the ski area (which is lower in elevation).

Monarch Mountain - Webcams

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    Yeah, doesn't look good. You check check out the live feeds from the ski area (which is lower in elevation).

Monarch Mountain - Webcams
    Probably be passable, but messy. I wouldn't do it...

But the Crest isn't really my thing these days. I actually only rode it 1.5 times this year.

The MTB Lab

But the Crest isn't really my thing these days. I actually only rode it 1.5 times this year.
    Tom - only a half a ride?

I'll probably do something along the CDT. I might bail on the my alternative Kenosha ride since it appeared to have snow issues.

mtbr member
    Got an invite to do either The Crest or Ken/Georgia for Sun. Buff Crik it is...

Edit: anyone know how long Sedona will be good for until they're full blown winter?
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    TomP - What trails would you reccomend in Salida?? I had planned on coming out for Monarch > Rainbow, and then hitting Kenosha to GP on the way back home.

Team Velveeta™
    Got an invite to do either The Crest or Ken/Georgia for Sun. Buff Crik it is...

Edit: anyone know how long Sedona will be good for until they're full blown winter?
    Sedona? If you're talking AZ, Sedona is quite often rideable all year...

But I think you're talking Salida maybe? Sedalia?

Salida tends to have rideable singletrack below 10,000 feet available into November. Depends on the year.

Our closer to town stuff tends to say open most of the year. Depends on whether we get low-country snow. In 2011-12 winter when the high country got like nothing + nothing, there was enough snow around town to keep the trails screwed up for much of the winter.

But last winter we rode the local trails below 8,000 feet every month of the year. Cottonwood Gulch (north of town, high point 9,000 feet) had deep enough snow to keep people from wanting to ride it between December and late February.

Klucks, I'd probably have you ride Bear Creek Rainbow to Sand Gulch down then Double Rainbow+Little Rainbow+Lost Trail.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    Tom - only a half a ride?

I'll probably do something along the CDT. I might bail on the my alternative Kenosha ride since it appeared to have snow issues.
    Early season when I'd heard a rumor that the Crest was rideable, I had climbed up to Marshall Pass and on a whim I went backwords up the Crest to Greens then down Greens. That was the half ride.

The only other time I rode it this year was in August when I rode the Vapor Trail 125 course:

Team Velveeta™: Vapor Trail 125 on my own terms.

mtbr member
    Sedona? If you're talking AZ, Sedona is quite often rideable all year...

But I think you're talking Salida maybe? Sedalia?

Salida tends to have rideable singletrack below 10,000 feet available into November. Depends on the year.

Our closer to town stuff tends to say open most of the year. Depends on whether we get low-country snow. In 2011-12 winter when the high country got like nothing + nothing, there was enough snow around town to keep the trails screwed up for much of the winter.

But last winter we rode the local trails below 8,000 feet every month of the year. Cottonwood Gulch (north of town, high point 9,000 feet) had deep enough snow to keep people from wanting to ride it between December and late February.

Klucks, I'd probably have you ride Bear Creek Rainbow to Sand Gulch down then Double Rainbow+Little Rainbow+Lost Trail.
    I meant AZ...know som peeps down that way. And, with the prospects of the Gov shutting down...collecting unemployment as job-attached and riding bikes down south wouldn't be too bad a way to spend a week, yeah?
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Team Velveeta™
    I meant AZ...know som peeps down that way. And, with the prospects of the Gov shutting down...collecting unemployment as job-attached and riding bikes down south wouldn't be too bad a way to spend a week, yeah?
    That sounds like a pretty good plan.

In my experience, Sedona runs at a similar temperature to Moab. A couple hundred feet higher, a little further south, a little closer to truly hot desert...

So figure Sedona is probably good most years through November, and some days of every month of the year are at least warm enough to ride.

But once you're as far down as Sedona, if it's into November do yourself a favor and slip a little further south. Tucson is super nice between Halloween and April Fools Day. Little storms blow through, but normal days are sweet all through winter. And I've been hearing rave reviews of the Black Canyon Trail north of Phoenix.

mtbr member
    That sounds like a pretty good plan.

In my experience, Sedona runs at a similar temperature to Moab. A couple hundred feet higher, a little further south, a little closer to truly hot desert...

So figure Sedona is probably good most years through November, and some days of every month of the year are at least warm enough to ride.

But once you're as far down as Sedona, if it's into November do yourself a favor and slip a little further south. Tucson is super nice between Halloween and April Fools Day. Little storms blow through, but normal days are sweet all through winter. And I've been hearing rave reviews of the Black Canyon Trail north of Phoenix.
    Yeah, the peeps I know are in Phoenix and S Mountain and Black Canyon is what they're telling me to hit. But, next week wouldn't quite be Nov yet... However, a Nov trip isn't out of the question if I get the jonez.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Addicted to Dirt
    Yeah, the peeps I know are in Phoenix and S Mountain and Black Canyon is what they're telling me to hit. But, next week wouldn't quite be Nov yet... However, a Nov trip isn't out of the question if I get the jonez.
    I've ridden Sedona in Dec. and Jan. , generally chilly at night but very pleasant during the day.

Sedona Chamber of Commerce - Sedona Weather

Awesomist™

1-1/2 times more than I have this year. Talked to Keefus McDarnellton this evening and he said they're a few 2-3' drifts up on the Crest, Canyon Crick is probably the same and it'll all need at least a week with no snow and warmer temps. We'll see how the next couple'a turn out, but I might be headed down in a couple weeks to attempt a high country affair and see a rock show in Gunnibird. Heck, maybe a visit to Hartman is in order if the snow sticks... I've never ridden there and it seems rude not to.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Any chance you have a Strava map of this route or would a map in town do the trick?

friend of Apex
    Go to Durango. Ride Hermosa Creek 5 days in a row.
    This.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Team Velveeta™
    Any chance you have a Strava map of this route or would a map in town do the trick?
    GPX?

http://tom-purvis.com/gpx/RainbowBea...t8-11-2013.gpx