Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Monarch Crest with all this rain?

How does Monarch Crest hold up with this quantity of moisture? I was planning to ride it Friday but don't want to hurt the trails or be riding trails that are already in rough shape.

If it's raining Friday morning I'm probably gonna bail anyway; no sense destroying my brakes & drivetrain and I've done enough all-day rides in the rain from my years of living in Seattle & Olympia.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The actual crest portion (at or above treeline) is mostly gravel so it tends to soak up rain (expect puddles) but once you get back into the trees it turns to actual soil/mud and just past the shelter cabin (Greens Creek junction?) that climb has some clay. If it rains hard the day before (or raining for several days) which is likely in the monsoon I wouldn't ride it. Getting caught up there in a monsoon would not be fun either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Good to know about the clay and the soil/mud in the trees. I was thinking the alpine parts would probably dry out quickly but didn't really think about the *rest* of it...

And yeah, being on that trail in a storm would suck in all sorts of ways.

Thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Do yourself a favor and hit Buffalo Creek instead. It's going to be in PRIME condition this weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Do yourself a favor and hit Buffalo Creek instead. It's going to be in PRIME condition this weekend.
    OH! Hey now! I was wondering what to do this wknd!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Team Velveeta™

Hello Autumn

Monarch Crest with all this rain?-1236385_10201970948134362_1964850192_n.jpg

Monarch Pass. Right now.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1236385_10201970948134362_1964850192_n.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	834180

Monarch Pass. Right now.

Oh, what sad times are these....
    22 Going on 23

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I was organizing a ride for the Crest on Thursday of this week. The weather looks nice the rest of the week. Do you think there would be any chance to squeeze in a ride with that amount of snow currently on the ground?

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by drmurrow View Post
    I was organizing a ride for the Crest on Thursday of this week. The weather looks nice the rest of the week. Do you think there would be any chance to squeeze in a ride with that amount of snow currently on the ground?
    Yep. I wouldn't consider this to be a Crest-closer. There could still be a little slush in shady places by later this week, but that depends entirely on what things are like the rest of the week. I'll let you know what I hear as the week wears on. But I wouldn't scrub the mission just yet.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Yep. I wouldn't consider this to be a Crest-closer. There could still be a little slush in shady places by later this week, but that depends entirely on what things are like the rest of the week. I'll let you know what I hear as the week wears on. But I wouldn't scrub the mission just yet.
    Sunny and windy all week is just what the dr ordered to clear the Crest up...

tiny rider
    I got in a Crest ride on Friday. There were some ice crystals in the puddles up high, and numerous little wet holes coming down through the trees. All in all, though, the trail was in great shape.

I hope it's open for you too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks Tom. I will look for an update from you in a few days. I had so much fun on the crest 3 weeks ago I am trying to squeeze in another ride before the season winds down.

Twin Six METAL Team
    Some buddies and I are converging on Salida from Colorado Springs, Durango, and DC this weekend. We're hoping the Crest Trail is good to go! If not, would it be safe to assume that the Rainbow Trail and "S" (in town) trails should be good to go?

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgardner73 View Post
    Some buddies and I are converging on Salida from Colorado Springs, Durango, and DC this weekend. We're hoping the Crest Trail is good to go! If not, would it be safe to assume that the Rainbow Trail and "S" (in town) trails should be good to go?
    Totally. Especially if the prediction for the week's weather comes true.

The Rainbow Trail from Silver Creek to 285 is almost always perfectly good through mid to late October, the section of Rainbow South of town on Methodist almost always good through a large part of November.

The S-Mountain trails (AKA The Arkansas Hills Trail System) as well as the Methodist Mountain Trail System (Little Rainbow, Double Rainbow, Lost Trail, Racetrack) is almost certain to be fine until Christmas. Last year we rode that stuff every month of the year...

Twin Six METAL Team
    Totally. Especially if the prediction for the week's weather comes true.

The Rainbow Trail from Silver Creek to 285 is almost always perfectly good through mid to late October, the section of Rainbow South of town on Methodist almost always good through a large part of November.

The S-Mountain trails (AKA The Arkansas Hills Trail System) as well as the Methodist Mountain Trail System (Little Rainbow, Double Rainbow, Lost Trail, Racetrack) is almost certain to be fine until Christmas. Last year we rode that stuff every month of the year...
    Perfect! Thanks Tom!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Rode Monarch Crest for the first time yesterday. Got a good bit of cold drizzle on the way up but it wasn't too bad. Cleared up by the time I hit Green's Creek which I have to say is my favorite trail I've ever ridden. Hoping I can get one more ride in up there and hit Green's again and Agate which I heard is even better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Monarch Crest with all this rain?-crest1.jpg  

Monarch Crest with all this rain?-crest2.jpg  

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hard to say what the Monarch pass area got but there is 4-8" of snow above TL in the Summit area today. It was cold, broken clouds and windy today. The next couple days are supposed to be fairly nice then another wintery storm on NW flow Thurs-Fri. That might not mean much for the Monarch area, but I'd have a plan B in mind.

Recovering
    7" of snow at Monarch Mountain... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...2&l=58c7bf0f0b
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Hard to say what the Monarch pass area got but there is 4-8" of snow above TL in the Summit area today. It was cold, broken clouds and windy today. The next couple days are supposed to be fairly nice then another wintery storm on NW flow Thurs-Fri. That might not mean much for the Monarch area, but I'd have a plan B in mind.
    True, having a Plan B is a good idea. It's looking super nice today, and the ground isn't frozen, so I can't imagine this snow (even 7-8" of it) sticking around for long. But if Thursday does bring in another dose of winter it could be pretty much fat lady singing up on the Crest for 2013.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    True, having a Plan B is a good idea. It's looking super nice today, and the ground isn't frozen, so I can't imagine this snow (even 7-8" of it) sticking around for long. But if Thursday does bring in another dose of winter it could be pretty much fat lady singing up on the Crest for 2013.
    Does Thursday morning/afternoon look clear to ride? Taking two days off later this week to ride in between a new job, but it looks like my high country plans might get crushed by snow.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Klucks View Post
    Does Thursday morning/afternoon look clear to ride? Taking two days off later this week to ride in between a new job, but it looks like my high country plans might get crushed by snow.
    From what I see from the NWS, Thursday looks good. Friday shows 30% of snow when you focus on Monarch Pass. But yeah, if I had to put money on it, I'd say you could get a Crest Ride in on Thursday.

Never know until the day comes up here though. Have a Plan B (there are other rides around here you know--Salida's town weather shows sunny and 60's every day this week).

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I am still banking on a Thursday crest ride. I hope a lot of the snow melts today and tomorrow.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    South-facing stuff appears to be clearing. Bodes well...

Chronic 1st-timer

No good

Top of Green's y-day:

They tried to roll along the crest next, but the 24" drifts turned them around, and they headed back down Green's.
    22 Going on 23

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    Top of Green's y-day:

They tried to roll along the crest next, but the 24" drifts turned them around, and they headed back down Green's.
    Was this yesterday? I'm all packed to spend a few days out there to bike Monarch. This makes me think my plans are doomed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast