mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Moing to Longmont, who's there?

Alright, I made a similar thread some time back, but since it's now under two weeks until I move, I thought I'd make another one. So from August 9, I'll live in Longmont for ten months.I'm gonna attend Lyons middle high school as a senior. So if those of you who live in or near that area could give a shout, it would be great

Too busy looking good
    Great, more young wippersnappers cluttering up the local trails.

Welcome to the area! If you're going to school at Lyons, probably Hall Ranch will become your usual ride, it's a local favorite. Not sure where your school is located in Lyons, but from pretty much any point in town you'll have an easy warm-up ride to either of the Hall Ranch trailheads.

For a great LBS and local rides, go no farther than Restone Cyclery in Lyons, http://www.redstonecyclery.com/news.php. They organize groups rides pretty much every week.

See you on the trails!

Stiff yet compliant
    Welcome to the neighborhood, I'm down the road in Lafayette. I second Dave at Redstone as a great source of knowledge on local riding.
    Just remember it's pronounced "schlongmont". I would hate to see you embarrass yourself.

Bad Andy
    Or "frogmont" or "longtown".
    I grew up there - great place (changed alot since graduation in '82 though!!). I assume you must be on the NW side of town to be attending Lyons?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    You will hate Longmont, and will likely spend your time in Boulder or Lyons for riding. Get out as much as you can. There are no legit shops in Schlongmont either...maybe Blue Sky, but thats about it

Too busy looking good
    Love the Longmont pronunciation suggestions, hadn't heard those before! I have heard "Wrongmont", though, a single guy I worked with called it that because Longmont doesn't have much to offer in terms of a single and club scene. Not sure I agree though, I mean come on, Group Therapy at 17th and Main in the place to be!

ride
    Strongmont! heh heh. Come on by Redstone, Andy, I'm happy to help you out and point you in a few good directions.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Inflexable...
    I thought this thread was going to be about cows...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ahh, Methmont... where you can always hook up. Good riding to the west though, enjoy.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Wow, thanks for all the replies guys! I'll stop by Redstone as soon as I havve the chance! What kind of bikes do you guys use for the trails there? Is more towards xc or freeride? I'm thinking of buying a used freeridebike for downhill use, and a very cheap xc bike (like 100-200$) for trail use. What is the nearest ski resort for dowhill?

slack jawed

Welcome to Longtucky!

I've got nothing witty to say....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Norweigan
    Wow, thanks for all the replies guys! I'll stop by Redstone as soon as I havve the chance! What kind of bikes do you guys use for the trails there? Is more towards xc or freeride? I'm thinking of buying a used freeridebike for downhill use, and a very cheap xc bike (like 100-200$) for trail use. What is the nearest ski resort for dowhill?

Keystone, Sol Vista, and Winter Park

The Fix in Boulder is the best freeride/dh shop around

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Norweigan
    If you are moving here on Aug 9th for 10 months, that free ride bike isn't going to get much use. The resorts close shortly after labor day and while you can ride it at Hall Ranch, its a bit of overkill.

I'd probably just look at getting a 5" travel bike that you can ride all winter long unless you just have your heart set on doing resort riding for the month. Another option would be to just rent a DH rig at the resorts a couple times before they close up for the season.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Crap, that's what I feared. But I'll get the freeridebike sometime during my stay anyway, because I'll probably save like 70% in comparison of buying it here in Norway. This does make it more tempting to bring my SC Chameleon though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Just a little update here. I will be bringing my Santa Cruz Chameleon with a RS Pike, as I feel it will suit the trails here good. However I've found out that I will not have any insurance on my bike, so it will stay at Longmont (or whatever you might call it ) while I am at school in Lyons. And since I don't have a car and can't drive there, it looks like I wont be able to ride the trails after school, but only in the weekends. Therefore, I wondered if any of you live nearby and take take your car and bike and drive to Lyons or whatever. If so I would love to join in guys

sorry for a boring thread, but it will surely lead to many, many awesome trail-rides

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by HOser
    Love the Longmont pronunciation suggestions, hadn't heard those before! I have heard "Wrongmont", though,

That's a classic! I always called it redneck hell.