Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Moab trails threatened

Cross posted from Utah forum because of the interest on the front range.

Moab Times-Independent - USFS to regulate non motorized recreation in La Sal Mountains

It looks like some of the mountain trails might be closed to mountain bikes. Also, shuttles will be banned from some areas that are just taking off.

Stay tuned.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Read the article.
    Hope they don't lose their trails.
    That being said I avoid Utah, pretty much.
    That being said I know what I'm missing out on, but still.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Grams Light Bikes
    Here is the forest service page on the topic (tough to really get an idea of what would be the change for mtb'ers): Manti-La Sal National Forest - Home and specifically Draft Purpose and Need

Perhaps Hazard but not Burro?

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Wow, that might cripple the economy of Moab. I go every year at least once to ride the whole enchilada and spend a bunch of money in the process. I doubt I would make the trip if you couldn't do that ride... would rather ride GJ or St George if that were the case.
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Free your heel...
    Make the trail one way for bikers only, build a few new hiker/horsey and problem solved.

...but seriously, why take away the best reason to go to Moab and a huge economic engine for the region.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Moab trails threatened

Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    Wow, that might cripple the economy of Moab. I go every year at least once to ride the whole enchilada and spend a bunch of money in the process. I doubt I would make the trip if you couldn't do that ride... would rather ride GJ or St George if that were the case.
    I was thinking that too. GJ is closer and MTB-friendly. I know the motorized legislation OHV stuff is always changing as well and they too bring a lot of money to Moab. It's a balance...
    My most brilliant achievement was my ability to pursuade my wife to marry me. - Churchill

MK_
    carpe mañana
    You two are over-reacting. Sure, the Whole Ench. is the shiz but Mag 7 is equally great (in a different fashion, of course) and there are tons of other great trails like Amasa, etc. If the whole ench is closed, that would be a shame but I wouldn't stop going to Moab, that's ludicrous.

The whole thing is probably caused by the big Enduro event last year.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    I wonder if there is the possibility of this coming into effect prior to the Big Mountain Enduro race this year? That would be a shame.
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    You two are over-reacting. Sure, the Whole Ench. is the shiz but Mag 7 is equally great (in a different fashion, of course) and there are tons of other great trails like Amasa, etc. If the whole ench is closed, that would be a shame but I wouldn't stop going to Moab, that's ludicrous.

_MK
    I don't agree that the mag 7 is great, its fun, but nothing superb in my opinion.

I probably wouldn't stop going altogether, but I certainly would go less often. I would much rather ride GJ than mag 7 and amasa..

Last time we went to Moab we rode the whole enchilada one day, Hazard down one day and... GJ on the third day..
    BBZ

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    Pure speculation right here, and maybe/probably not the case. The permit was re-issued for the event in 2013, and also increased the number of participants allowed to register/enter. If the Big Mountain Enduro event had an impact on trail access, I don't think the permit would have been renewed. Of course, that's pure speculation/guessing on my part, as well.

Whatever happens, I'm glad I got the last shuttle to ride Burro Down last fall. You know, just in case. At any rate, the biking population of Moab is pretty solid these days, and what with them making a lot of inroads and getting Mag7, Sovereign, and MOAB Brand trails built my best guess is some favorable resolution or compromise can be found.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I don't agree that the mag 7 is great, its fun, but nothing superb in my opinion.

I probably wouldn't stop going altogether, but I certainly would go less often. I would much rather ride GJ than mag 7 and amasa..

Last time we went to Moab we rode the whole enchilada one day, Hazard down one day and... GJ on the third day..
    Nice thing about living where we do... you don't need to "choose" - drive out early on day 1, get some Grand Valley goodness in. Drive to Moab - ride Moab 2-3 days. Leave early last day and get some MOAR GV goodness on the way back.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    Pure speculation right here, and maybe/probably not the case. The permit was re-issued for the event in 2013, and also increased the number of participants allowed to register/enter. If the Big Mountain Enduro event had an impact on trail access, I don't think the permit would have been renewed. Of course, that's pure speculation/guessing on my part, as well.

Whatever happens, I'm glad I got the last shuttle to ride Burro Down last fall. You know, just in case. At any rate, the biking population of Moab is pretty solid these days, and what with them making a lot of inroads and getting Mag7, Sovereign, and MOAB Brand trails built my best guess is some favorable resolution or compromise can be found.
    I agree. I have trouble believing that hikers and equestrians were even on the trail the day of the Enduro? Don't they close things for events like that?

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Honestly I can't imagine the community not welcoming the influx of money that the tourists bring to town to ride the whole enchilada. Just the shuttle business alone supports a lot of people in that town (bike shop employees, gas stations, mechanics, drivers, car dealers etc)
    BBZ

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    From what I read on the Forest Service page mentioned above there are no plans threatening The Whole Enchilada (Burro pass - Hazard county - Cocopelli - PR). It's mostly about La Sal pass shuttling and some more obscure trail. As a matter of fact, most of suggested alternatives propose BUILDING new trails So as I understand public land management in Moab area is still light years ahead in bike friendliness comparing to Boulder area. But MTB community still should be vigilant!

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    I guess if you were wondering what the ex-REI exec Sally Jewell was going to do as head of the Interior Dept. you now know.

I may have to change my shopping habits. Sorry REI.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio8691 View Post
    From what I read on the Forest Service page mentioned above there are no plans threatening The Whole Enchilada (Burro pass - Hazard county - Cocopelli - PR). It's mostly about La Sal pass shuttling and some more obscure trail. As a matter of fact, most of suggested alternatives propose BUILDING new trails So as I understand public land management in Moab area is still light years ahead in bike friendliness comparing to Boulder area. But MTB community still should be vigilant!
    I'm not familiar enough with the area to know all the trails and figure out the maps on their site, but isn't La Sal Pass shuttling involved in getting up to the top of Burro for Enchilada?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I would much rather ride GJ than mag 7 and amasa..
    Now you're just talking crazy. I think you were making good points but I lost you at that remark.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I think I did figure out their maps and on all the alternatives proposed all the sections of the TWE are colored green (no changes). La Sal Pass is different pass to the south from the current access road (Geyser Pass). As I understood from the local Utah postings the are emerging shuttle operations to La Sal Pass - and they are indeed threatened.
    So let's watch, have our finger crossed and may be make our opinion known to the FS if things go south (or north?). I don't believe they will kill the signature Moab and US and World trail. It's after all tiny portion of La Sal Range...

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    http://www.postindependent.com/artic...ntProfile=1074

Garfield County weighs in on BLM access
    Planning Proposal would close several roads in western GarCo
    John Stroud
    Post Independent Staff
    Glenwood Springs, CO Colorado

"A preferred alternative that's still under review would result in the closure of numerous BLM roads and road connections in the largely uninhabited portion of Garfield County that stretches from De Beque west to the Utah state line.

The area north of Fruita is especially popular with off-road vehicle enthusiasts, mountain bikers, hunters and other recreational users. It's also an active area for oil and gas development.

“That's half of the county that we're talking about,” Garfield Commission Chairman John Martin said. “There is a lot of historical hunting and recreational access there that we want to protect.”

Comparing the “no action” alternative, which would maintain all existing roads that currently show up on BLM maps, with the preferred alternative, “you can see how that really affects the traveling public,” Martin said.

The result would be a more than 50 percent reduction in road miles that would be open to the public under the new draft management plan, he said."

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Shuttling is the best reason to go to Moab?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That is one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard Unc. For one thing Sally Jewell hasn't even been confirmed yet. For another the USFS is as you should know, a part of the Dept of Agriculture, NOT the dept of the interior.

Something like this is IMO, not unexpected. You get a bunch of multi use trails and they get very popular with shuttlers and they are no longer multi use. I know this from experience, I tried climbing parts of the Enchilada (UPS, Koko, Hazard) system a few years ago - early in the morning no less - and it was not only unpleasant up downright dangerous.
    Last edited by zrm; 03-02-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    You're right I dtand corrected. Been paying more attention to coaching lacrosse than MTB'ng. And yes, NPS/BLM not USFS.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzguy View Post
    Now you're just talking crazy. I think you were making good points but I lost you at that remark.
    Well, to each his own.. but have you explored the GJ area, its a lot of fun and besides, I have been riding Moab since 1990, some of the older stuff I have just ridden way too many times
    BBZ

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    If they shut down commercial shuttling, it would probably have a big enough impact on the number of riders to appease the other user groups (at least at the higher elevation trails), while still providing access to those of us who don't mind pedaling up and making a day (or 2) of it.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yeah, it makes you wonder if the issue is more the impacts of commercial shuttling rather than more traditional MTB use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast