Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Moab fully rigid

Should I use a new custom titanium rigid 29er or a beater Hoo Koo E Koo hardtail for Moab? All the pics and vids show slickrock, (that scream out for fitness and losing every ounce possible on body and bike), or 4 foot plus drops that I'm not interested in. The text usually says something like "I would never use a 4" travel full suspension. Moab needs at least a 6" travel bike". Would someone please compare Moab to the the only trails I've ridden on the 29er - Blue Sky, Stout (in HMP) and Foothills? The razor sharp square edged ledges on the east side of Foothills trail are a real ***** w/o sus. but I don't think I could ride it with any bike. Is Moab full of square edged rocks? Is full suspension only necessary for the drops? I've ridden many hundreds of miles in soft desert sand in Anza Borrego and slick rock in the Sierra Nevada Mtns. where rigid would be fine but for Moab??..........
    thanks, doug

the cool nerd
    Moab has a lot of everything (sand, rock, smooth, edges, drops, ledges), and I've ridden as much of it as I can on a rigid ss, and I've never stopped smiling or regretted my bike of choice. I've enjoyed both, following friends on the full sussies, and at other times leading the same friends . The bike has never held me back (pinch flats on the other hand...), so just bring what you enjoy, and ride what you bring..
    "The search for a perfect pint should take lifetime." M.Jackson

Ride bikes, not goats. Just good advice

old enough to know better

you may be more tired

A friend rode his rigid SS 29er with us last year. He seemed to be fine but a bit more beat up than the rest of us. Some of the trails there, like Sovereign, seem like wonderful trails for a bike like yours.

Bad Andy
    Moab MTBing was there before any suspension existed, and it was still amazing!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You'll have fun on any bike you take to Moab.

That said, bear in mind that virtually none of that slickrock is actually smooth riding. There's jagged little edges everywhere and absolutely no give. It will pretty much pound the hell out of you and your bike. And if anything on your bike is ready to break, so to speak, it's going to break in Moab. If I was doing some classics like Slickrock Trail or Porc Rim, there is no way in hell I would I would be on a rigid bike. Porc Rim, for example, has mile plus sections of repeated square edged hits that make anything in the foothills look smooth. I ride my 7 and 7 freeride bike on Porc and am usually envious of the full on DH rigs people have on that trail...

I can't ride up as fast in Moab with my bike, but after a few days out there I'm still partying at night while my hardtail friends are passed the hell out with sore arms.

But Moab has some of everything. There are plenty of jeep roads everywhere that will have awesome sand conditions right now. If you wanna ride that kind of stuff a rigid would be great.

With a rigid bike you'll be able to ride up some wicked steep slickrock too!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Oh yeah as for your comparison request, Moab is another world compared to the foothills. A lot of stuff is like the Hall ranch rock garden. Think that interspersed with sections of sandy jeep trail. There are a few areas as well that are just straight slickrock. Very little packed dirt - it's either slickrock or sand. They have got some snow though so the sand should be great.

People of zee wurl,Relax!

Rent a bike

This is a great opportunity to try out a different type of bike than what you currently have. There are a number of really good shops with nice rental bikes. I suggest trying out a 5" travel full suspension bike. The wear and tear you will put on the bike is worth the cost of the rental.
    Less Talk, More Rock.
    http://www.peakmtb.com

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Full rigid at Moab? Of course you can. I remember seeing a local ride amassa a couple of years back on a full rigid and that was before it was sanitized by the land owners. He was riding up things that at the time I thought were impossible.

Will you have more fun if you have a 5" trail bike? who knows? I know I would, but I enjoy full suspension rides, someone who loves single speed full suspension would likely I was the silly one for carting the extra weight around.

Some rides like Porcupine would be doable on a full rigid, but certainly would be a lot more enjoyable on a good full suspension. Other rides like Klondike or Sovereign I imagine would be totally fun on either.

If it was me I would rent, but then I am a lazy, soft person.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Like others have said, you can enjoy Moab on any bike. I've ridden Moab trails on a rigid 29er SS and a 6" travel FS bike. I probably enjoyed some of the rough downhills a tiny bit more on the fully, but I had a blast on the SS. I would agree that the rigid was a bit tougher on the body. Give your favorite bike a try there, and at worst you have to rent a bike if you have too tough a time.

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by feathed
    ...but for Moab??..........
    Maybe this will help you decide... I would concur that renting is always an option .

You can also check out daBlog for a Moab trip 'report' from November.
    Ride On!

slow
    First 8 or 10 times I was there, all I owned was a rigid steel 26'er. Rode Slickrock, Amasa, Porc, Poison Spider, Gemini, Flat Pass, Klondike, Monitor / Merrimac, Tusher Canyon, etc all on rigid 26ers. Except for a few pinch flats on upper Porc, I never broke anything on the bikes or myself. Since then, I have ridden Moab on a hard tail and a soft tail several times without issue. I ride the same trails you do at home on either a rigid or a soft tail most of the time.

Your retarded
    Two trips to Moab last year, two broken light freeride frames. I learned that if you have an extra bike to bring, bring it.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

When I started going to Moab "back in the day"

all's I had was a fully rigid. Not by choice but that was all there was available to buy. Sure I had a great time, sure I got beat up, but I got beat up riding any trail anywhere. Then I progressed from fully rigid to front suspension to 2" rear suspension to 3 and 3 then 4 and 4. Everytime I liked it better. The fact that all you ride currently is either a hardtail or fully rigid, with all the wonderful choices out there for full suspension, means you'll ride Moab with what you've chosen and know. I doubt if it's going to seem worse than where you currently ride...but I personally would never take my hardtail there. What's the point when I have three great full suspension bikes. Being beat up doesn't equate to more fun for me. You'll just have to make up your own mind afterwards if maybe full suspension is in your future.
    Last edited by xcguy; 02-20-2008 at 09:03 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

skillz to pay billz
    I personally hope to make my first trip out there this year and will be bringing 5.75" squishy and probably the 4" xc squishy as a back up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

its your call but...

I would stop off in fruita if the trails are dry, then ride the piss out of your rigid 29er. Once you get full of the stuff in the valley (if possible) rent a 29 fs from over the edge in fruita and take on moab in a more comfortable/capable way. My bikes are nothing but rigid and ss, but last week in moab really put the hurting on. You can ride rigid (and ss) anywhere, as you know, but speaking from experiance on behalf of my ss addiction-next time i'm in moab i'll be renting something squishy and geared-
    I feel that the squish and gears would aid to the speed of the ride and my ability to make certain moves that other wise would force me to use the 24" gear (my feet). Just my opinon though, the one thing that is clear is that you will be having a great time no matter what.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I rode Moab probably 5-6 times back in the early/mid-90's on a rigid Giant. I remember every trip being a lot of fun.

I was a lot younger then, too. Moab is fairly abusive on a rigid. Especially Porc Rim.

So the call is yours. It can be done, but be prepared for some pain.

old enough to know better

bigger tires

put on the 2.3s or 2.5s for cush

!Vamos, flaco!
    Pretty much, if you're ok with riding rigid, you'll be ok in Moab or anywhere. If your not ok with rigid, you won't be ok in Moab.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've been riding hardtails and own a rigid now... I rode my hardtail on slickrock and it was fine (you do get more beatup more and make sure you have a lot of pressure in your fork) but I ended up renting a 5" bike for some of the harder and funner trails. It would have been fun on even my hardtail but I was all grins and it took a loto f the pain away on the full suspension bike, it was a blast. I forget the name of hte place but it is on the south side of town and they have some pretty killer bikes. I rented a Santa Cruz LT Blur and it was awesome. Rode Jackson Hole and Amasa and I forget the third one, it was awesome and would have been tough and really kicked my ass on even the hard tail.. That said there were guys with rigids out there, just going a lot slower... Hope it helps...

3nf
    Aphonopelma Coloradanum
    I was riding up Porc Rim a couple of years ago on a rented 575... A rider on a fully rigid 29er singlespeed glided past me about halfway up the climb (I started where the shuttle drops off, I'm way too lazy to do a sooper duper Porc Rim). I never caught up with him on the downhill, and I was riding that 575 like... a rented 575.

Slickrock is a lot older than suspension bikes. Heck, it's older than suspension forks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks all,
    Taking both and deciding when I get there.........? Great idea! That also gives me breakage insurance. I hadn't thought of renting. As might be obvious, I've never even considered full suspension. It seems kinda like cheating to me. Sounds like Moab would be a great place to try it. Ride all three!
    Now I need to figure out how to match which trail to which bike.
    doug

Your retarded
    The first time I broke in Moab, I only had one bike. So I rented a replacement. The freehub let go on the rental the next day. That was not a good trip for bikes.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by 3nf
    ...and I was riding that 575 like... a rented 575.
    haha, classic post

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by feathed
    I've never even considered full suspension. It seems kinda like cheating to me.
    You mean like fat skis? I agree with you.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3nf

Slickrock is a lot older than suspension bikes. Heck, it's older than suspension forks.
    It's older than "mountain biking" completely...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast