mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Moab/ Colorado Riding

Hi

After some advice - please bear with the questions! Please also forgive the posting cross forums.
    I'm planning a trip to the US from the UK in spring this year to ride the trails at Moab. I'm planning to spend 3 weeks in the US with 4-5 days at Moab. Is this sufficient?
    I'm interested in where else riders would recommend I ride whilst I'm over there?

I'd say I'm an average rider - looking 20-25m day rides. For those that know UK trail classifications I'll ride red stuff and most black - I'm experienced enough to know when to walk!

I'm flying into/ out of Denver so I'm thinking Moab is approx 180m from Denver and prob furthest I'll go out without wasting too many days travelling.

Friends have suggested Fruita and Gunnison - what are peoples recommendations?

Look forward to hearing from you.
    Cheers
    Jules

MK_
    carpe maņana
    What are your specific dates?
    This is a low snow year (thus far at least) and more terrain may be available than typically in the Spring.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi - no final dates yet but looking to book flights in next 2 days. Looking at April last 3 weeks

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    First off, Moab is 350 miles from Denver. 4-5 days in the Moab area sounds good. That's plenty of time to ride yourself ragged! Forget Gunnison, that's a summer trip (Crested Butte).
    Later April is a perfect time for Moab.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Grand Junction/Fruita, Phils World, and thing else depends on weather.

mtbr member
    Personally I think 4 to 5 days in Moab is too short.....but my wife and I love Moab. In the spring we spend anywhere from 8 to 12 days there at one time and it doesn't feel like enough.

There is plenty to do and see in Moab....if you stay a week you won't be bored or dissapointed.

As far as what to hit on the trip.....Moab, Fruita/Grand Junction, and Eagle on the way back up to Denver weather conditions permitting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Depending on the time of year, you may also consider the St George Utah area..

You could also fly into Las Vegas if you aren't planning on spending time in Colorado, lots of great riding there as well and more Moab like in terms of riding.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    If you don't have tickets, yet; consider booking a fall trip instead. Much better riding weather and way more options (including Moab, for example the Whole Enchilada is snowed in in the spring).

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    ^ that. I live near Denver, originally from Middlesbrough, my friends came over for a 2 week mtb road trip in September, loads more choice! We hit Fruita 3days, Moab 3days, Phil's World (Cortez), Durango 3days, Crested Butte 2 days, Salida then back to Ned. Big loop with loads of time for other stuff/sightseeing too. If you want any advice just pm me

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I think 5 days in Moab is more than enough. I would do 2 or 3 days there, 1.5 days in Fruita, and a half day in Grand Junction. Do you like technical stuff, or more cross country-ish?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

MK_
    carpe maņana
    If you're dead set on a Spring trip, consider flying into Phoenix or Las Vegas and do a loop from there.

Phoenix/Tucson, Sedona, check out Grand Canyon, drive though Monument Valley to Moab, San Rafael Swell, St. George, Bryce Canyon. Or similar loop from Las Vegas.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks - this is really helpful. I'm set on an April trip this year due to other commitments later in the year.
    I'm hoping to ride the Enchilada @ Moab with the uplift bus service but generally I'm AM/ XC rather than a gravity rider. But I do like a technical trail rather than pure distance on XC.

Interesting point on flying into Las Vegas tho - but I was hoping to do some riding in Colorado which would be too far from there. Is the snow line (or wet trails) in April likely to really affect things there?

One thing I am struggling with is finding where everything is - at present I've just got google maps so I'm finding the distances hard to estimate. Any suggestions? - I was going to grab a road atlas when I arrive for driving.

Jules

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JulesW View Post
    Thanks - this is really helpful. I'm set on an April trip this year due to other commitments later in the year.
    I'm hoping to ride the Enchilada @ Moab with the uplift bus service but generally I'm AM/ XC rather than a gravity rider. But I do like a technical trail rather than pure distance on XC.

Interesting point on flying into Las Vegas tho - but I was hoping to do some riding in Colorado which would be too far from there. Is the snow line (or wet trails) in April likely to really affect things there?

One thing I am struggling with is finding where everything is - at present I've just got google maps so I'm finding the distances hard to estimate. Any suggestions? - I was going to grab a road atlas when I arrive for driving.

Jules
    When you told us you thought Denver was 180 miles from Moab, I said that's not right. Went into Google maps, hit "get directions", put in Denver-Moab and got the mileage. Easy peasy.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Jules
    April is not a good time for any high elevation riding and the Whole Enchilada will certainly be unrideable no matter how bad the snowpack is.

approximate drive times (better than mileage)

Denver to Moab 5.5 hours
    Denver to St George 9 hours
    Denver to Fruita 4 hours

Las Vegas to St George, 1.5 hours
    Las Vegas to Moab 5 hours
    Las Vegas to Fruita 6.5 hours

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You probably wont get to do the whole enchilada but the best parts LPS and hopefully UPS will be open for you. The drive from Denver to Moab feels a lot easier than the same time or distance driving in the UK - and you can stop off and ride Fruita on the way there. It's difficult to say what the conditions will be like in April but hopefully you would also get a chance to ride some other Denver Front Range trails before you fly out (and once you have got used to the altitude).

Finding your way from Denver Airport is really easy. On your map you'll take I70 West to Grand Junction (Fruita) and then continue on I70 into Utah. Watch for the signpost for Arches National Park and you'll take the road south into Moab.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'll second the call to ride Grand Junciton, Fruita (1 day each) and then 4 or 5 days in Moab. The Whole Enchilada won't be in - the La Sals are actually having a really big snow year this year so far- but I bet UPS down will be rideble. Mag 7 is a great shuttle with tons of options - you could shuttle it twice and take totally different ways down (finishing on Bar M to town or finishing on Portal to town) both lead to epic days! I'd split the rest between Amasa Back-Pothole-Rockstacker-Jacksons and maybe a day up 128 on some of the new stuff near Klondike, bartlett and Bar M. If you must do Slickrock I'd just play around on the practice loop a bit - the other riding in town is much more fun IMO.

Grab breakfast at the Love Muffin and call The Whole Enchilada Shuttle Company for a ride up!

And check out VRBO for house rentals - if you're staying longer than 5 days it will be cheaper than a hotel. If you're not taking camping gear but want to camp you can get cabins at a few of the campgrounds in town.

Have fun!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    So no one has mentioned the Pipe Dream Trail completed in the end of 2011. It hangs on the west valley canyon wall. The Prospector should be completed by the time you get in the states. It is on the east valley wall under the Millionaire Uranium mansion turned restaurant 'Sunset Grill'. There were 40.6 miles of flowing single track added to the Moab trail inventory at the end of 2011 and another 46 miles added at the end of 2012. Right now construction is occurring along the River Road (State Road, Hwy 128) that will have a bridge along the river and the road to enable a bike path between the end of Porcupine Rim on the River Road back to the Lions Park hub or intersection of Hwy 191 and Hwy 128. Great things happening in Moab. Fit the North Klondo in.
    Get your ride on!
    Come meet in Moab.
    Mix Business with Pleasure.
    Moab Meetings & Events Aid

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    there is a reason no one has mentioned pipe dream.. its very forgettable (IMO)..

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks everyone - really appreciate the input.
    Just to summarise then the general view is:
    4-5 days at Moab
    2 days at Fruita
    1 Day Grand Junction

Any good biking guide books worth picking up to fill out the rest?
    I'm thinking of taking a guide in Moab for 1-2 days but the rest of the time was hoping to meet people to ride with - will there be people about?

Finally I'm going to book flights then wing the accomodation a bit - what's an average rate for a motel? just after something basic but clean with a shower!

Thanks again.

Jules

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks everyone - really appreciate the input.
    Just to summarise then the general view is:
    4-5 days at Moab
    2 days at Fruita
    1 Day Grand Junction

Any good biking guide books worth picking up to fill out the rest?
    I'm thinking of taking a guide in Moab for 1-2 days but the rest of the time was hoping to meet people to ride with - will there be people about?

Finally I'm going to book flights then wing the accomodation a bit - what's an average rate for a motel? just after something basic but clean with a shower!

Thanks again.

Jules
    No need for a guide in Moab, maybe a shuttle but not a guide, also could hit up Phils world in cortez think its about 2 hours from moab and well worth the trip.

Rolling
    I agree on that one...and it was hyped big time by people at Poison Spider even before it was finished.

Also "Moab Happenings" loves to hype new trail.

lucky enough
    Stop in local bike shops to get maps. While there you can ask advice on trail conditions. You'll have fun!
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine