nice marmot.

Mo' Skitos this Year / Crested Butte

I went backpacking this past weekend at Luna Lake up in Steamboat and oh my gawd the mosquitoes were bad! At one point I thought they were going to lift up my tent and deposit me in the lake. We started out using a "green" bug spray which they laughed at and then broke out the big guns and slathered ourselves in DEET with only moderately better success. In the end we were confined to our tent much of the non-hiking time b/c they were so bad.

Anyone been up to Crested Butte recently? How were the bugs? I'm camping July 29/30 at Lake Irwin and am wondering if I'm going to be spending all non-riding time hiding in my tent.

Thanks!

I can't ride 45!
    The black bitting flys are bad especially on the inital climb (hike) up deer creek. Mosquitoes were not too bad.

Oh, So Interesting!
    The skeeters are horrible this year. They were out of control up by Lake Brainard, even with DEET there were 10 or more hovering right in front of your face. I leave a %30 Deet spray in my 'bak permanently now. I never remember it being this bad. The Poison Ivy is supposed to be huge this year, too, a result of warmer temps and more co2. Apparently the ivy responds more to this than a typical plant. Have we finished burning all the oil yet?

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Oh, So Interesting!

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ictoacoy
    I went backpacking this past weekend at Luna Lake up in Steamboat and oh my gawd the mosquitoes were bad!
    I was there two weeks ago and it was awful! We lived in rain gear - it was the only thing they didn't bite through. I've only lived in CO for two years but didn't think it was like that here. Is this normal?

Stand back
    We were at Crested Butte a few weeks ago, and I don't remember the bugs being nearly as bad as they were at Snowmass this past weekend. CB trip was before the rains came, though...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

"Oldfart from Wayback"

This "IS" Normal, wait 'till you see it in a "wet" year

Quote Originally Posted by stepchild
    I was there two weeks ago and it was awful! We lived in rain gear - it was the only thing they didn't bite through. I've only lived in CO for two years but didn't think it was like that here. Is this normal?
    Mosquitos in the high country hatch and breed in the snowmelt pools left from last winters snow's. We "had" a great snowpack going up 'till April then all went to hel!. This is a "light" mosquito year. I've been BP'ng up in the highcountry here for 35+ yrs now. My strategy doesn't even include a repellent. I wear a pair of long pants & shirt made of Supplex nylon for saltwater flats flyfishing . SPF 30 and 'Squito proof, wicking, tough, very cool in the sun. The tight weave of the nylon not only keeps out the sun, the sketters can't bite through. I got mine from Cabelas but everyone makes them. Look for the Supplex label.

3nf
    Aphonopelma Coloradanum
    I rode Tiperary Creek in Winter Park on Sunday, and the flies and mosquitoes were worse than I have ever seen up in the mountains. It was amazing.