Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Missing CO

Big Boned

Missing CO

I'm stuck in Chicago for work and it sucks. I've ridden the same trails three times since I've been here (going on three weeks), the only ones anywhere near the city, the same ones I rode a hundred thousand times before I moved to Colorado, and I've yet to be challenged. It's barely hilly. Only a few modest technical bits, mainly large log ramps, with puss-out lines around all of them. The occasional root here and there. And I'm swimming in oxygen after living at 8,000 feet. The upshot is, I can barely get my heart rate up on this stuff, and I'm stomping around on my 36-pound coil-sprung Nomad with 2.4's, passing guys with shaved legs riding hardtails on the "climbs." Not to complain too much -- it's always fun to ride, and it's been interesting rediscovering the old spots. They even built some new routes in the woods -- nothing spectacular, but at least they're new to me. Still...

I WANNA GO HOME!!!!

Sorry, had to vent. Man, we have it pretty sweet out there. The next time you get frustrated riding the front range, remind yourself... At least you're not in the midwest.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    I WANNA GO HOME!!!!
    Aspen...

Ed E
    Attached Images Attached Images

bacon! bacon! bacon!

Big Boned
    yer damn right I'm whining!

mtbr member
    I'm stuck in Chicago for work and it sucks. I've ridden the same trails three times since I've been here (going on three weeks), the only ones anywhere near the city, the same ones I rode a hundred thousand times before I moved to Colorado, and I've yet to be challenged. It's barely hilly. Only a few modest technical bits, mainly large log ramps, with puss-out lines around all of them. The occasional root here and there. And I'm swimming in oxygen after living at 8,000 feet. The upshot is, I can barely get my heart rate up on this stuff, and I'm stomping around on my 36-pound coil-sprung Nomad with 2.4's, passing guys with shaved legs riding hardtails on the "climbs." Not to complain too much -- it's always fun to ride, and it's been interesting rediscovering the old spots. They even built some new routes in the woods -- nothing spectacular, but at least they're new to me. Still...

I WANNA GO HOME!!!!

Sorry, had to vent. Man, we have it pretty sweet out there. The next time you get frustrated riding the front range, remind yourself... At least you're not in the midwest.
    I feel your pain. I've been living in Texas the last few years for grad school. I've ridden the same trail more times than i can count. It is routine now but its all I have. I'll be graduating and moving back to Colorado in October. The closer it gets the harder it is to wait.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Chicago is great for food, shopping, and bar hopping. If those are not your passions, it sucks

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Paradise

I moved from the Midwest more than 2 years ago and I still wake up every day thankful that I now live in this paradise we call Colorado. I hope I never lose my appreciation.

Goofing off?
    Dude, there has got to be a dirt jumping area around there. Do a google search or call a local bike shop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Intenserider2
    Dude, there has got to be a dirt jumping area around there. Do a google search or call a local bike shop.
    True that! There was no shortage of dirt jumps back in the ol' Midwest. It did have that going for it.

Are you going to be out there much longer? If so enjoy the trees when they start to change. People out there talk about how pretty the Aspens are when they change, but they got nothing on the Midwest in that department.

Big Boned
    Oh, believe me, I know exactly where everything is out here, and there is quite a bit. But I don't dirt jump. Tried it many times. Ate sh*t many times. Not my thing. And I can't afford any injuries right now, lots of meetings to attend and a long-ass drive home. Wouldn't be comfortable with a broken collar bone.

They closed Challenge Park, which was the best thing going for a long time for technical FR-type stuff. There are numerous stunts/ramps down at Palos, but they are not in good shape at all. Best alternative for trail riding is Kettle Moraine (2+ hour drive) or Cable (5 hours).

Quote Originally Posted by Intenserider2

I'm a unitard!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Chicago is great for food, shopping, and bar hopping. If those are not your passions, it sucks
    Great music scene too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You're only 13 hours from Lutsen . . .

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    In only 13 hours you and your car could be in MTB heaven at Lutsen . .

lone rider
    Just got back from our Crest trip we were missing you too!
    This should help . Ha ha

CREST TRAIL

AGATE CREEK (beaver pond in the middle of the trail!)

Alpine Tunnel ( pushing the Downhill bike up to the Continental Divide)

SOUTH FOOSES CREEK (Colorado Trail as it climbs to the Monarch Crest)

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by big galoot
    This should help

Jerk!

I will be back next Wednesday or Thursday.

mtbr member

They closed Challenge Park, which was the best thing going for a long time for technical FR-type stuff. There are numerous stunts/ramps down at Palos, but they are not in good shape at all. Best alternative for trail riding is Kettle Moraine (2+ hour drive) or Cable (5 hours).
    Lots of great trails in Southern Wisconsin, Cam-Rock Park, Blue Mound. I only need to go to Colorado for the altitude and climbs.

Have you looked into Galena? They use to have a great mountain bike race out there. Huge climb out of the Mississippi valley.

Bad Andy
    Hey B - let me know when you're back - we need to get some riding in.
    Do you have a light?
    I need to get you your bike box back to you as well...
    I wonder what's worse...Atlanta for 3 weeks in July or Chicago for however long you've been there?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by zenboy99
    Lots of great trails in Southern Wisconsin, Cam-Rock Park, Blue Mound. I only need to go to Colorado for the altitude and climbs.
    You're missing out, then.

mtbr member

Solution

Buy the video "One Man's Wilderness." Watch it. Repeat. Get inspired. Work hard in that high paying job (it is high paying, right...why else be there?), save some cash and in 12 months buy land in Alaska. Sell car, sell everything. Build cabin on land. Live there. Build some trails. Be happy again.

I love the concept of heaven, of reincarnation and all that, but I'm scared to death this is the only go we get. Don't waste it in Chicago. Change your situation.

Big Boned
    Dude, ridden them all, along with most everything else in Wisconsin and western Michigan, and a bit of southern Illinois. I used to think the same thing. I was delusional. Rode the midwest for 20 years, but the riding here feels like swimming in a kiddie pool to me now. I mean, it's okay, but it's like kissing your sister compared to the stuff I can ride to from my front door. And it's all way too far to drive for me right now cuz -- really -- it just ain't that great.

Escape, my brother. You'll never look back.

Have you looked into Galena? They use to have a great mountain bike race out there. Huge climb out of the Mississippi valley.

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pluto Pilot
    I love the concept of heaven, of reincarnation and all that, but I'm scared to death this is the only go we get. Don't waste it in Chicago. Change your situation.
    Right on bro!

mtbr member
    I'm in Breckenridge right now, riding keystone on Sunday. I love riding in Colorado, my wife and I take a trip out here every year. Last year we rode Crested Butte, Fruita, Copper Mountain and Vail.

The problem is, your riding season is so short with all of the snow and the time it takes to melt. Last year Crested Butte was a mess in early October. I rode the whole month of December in Wisconsin last year. Trails were dry and racing started in late march this year. When I had planned a trip to Breckenridge in early May this year, people told me to not bring my bike.

Big Boned
    I'm in Breckenridge right now, riding keystone on Sunday. I love riding in Colorado, my wife and I take a trip out here every year. Last year we rode Crested Butte, Fruita, Copper Mountain and Vail.

The problem is, your riding season is so short with all of the snow and the time it takes to melt. Last year Crested Butte was a mess in early October. I rode the whole month of December in Wisconsin last year. Trails were dry and racing started in late march this year. When I had planned a trip to Breckenridge in early May this year, people told me to not bring my bike.

Yes. Colorado sucks in the winter. All that snow -- what is one to do?

No question. Stay away. Stay far, far away...

I'm a unitard!
    Yes. Colorado sucks in the winter. All that snow -- what is one to do?

No question. Stay away. Stay far, far away...

Yeah. It sucks. I never get to ride November - February.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Dude, ridden them all, along with most everything else in Wisconsin and western Michigan, and a bit of southern Illinois. I used to think the same thing. I was delusional. Rode the midwest for 20 years, but the riding here feels like swimming in a kiddie pool to me now. I mean, it's okay, but it's like kissing your sister compared to the stuff I can ride to from my front door. And it's all way too far to drive for me right now cuz -- really -- it just ain't that great.

Actually Utah and California are better.

So you ever ride Yankee Springs in W MI?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast