glittergirl

Mini-Crew Happy Hour Season Kick-off!

Hey Mtbers!

I hope that you will be able to join us this Thursday, May 15 to kick-off the first Mini-Crew Happy Hour of the season.

We'll be meeting at 5:30pm at the top of the Apex Open Space Park at the end of Parkview Ave.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/%5B100-...lden+CO+80401/

Our work will be to start at the top of Slice Box and work down the trail focusing on the many switch-backs.

You'll need to dress prepared for a two hour hike with rain coat, jacket, water and gloves.

If you want to ride up to the location, please do, just bring a lock to secure your bike while we are working.

To pre-register for the mini-crew date, please contact Jana Johns at OSvol@co.jefferson.co.us

The mini-crew program is designed as an "after-work-couple-of-hours" trail session.

The trail days fall on the 3rd Thursday of every month.

We focus on specific tasks assigned by JCOS that support the trail maintenance activities for the JCOS work crews and staff. The trail work provides mtbers active participation to support and maintain the trail systems as well as spread good will to all trail users we encounter.

2008 Calendar:
    Thurs., May 15
    Thurs., June 19
    Thurs., July 17
    Thurs., Aug. 21
    Thurs., Sept. 18

If you have any questions or need more information, please contact Jana Johns (303.271.5922) or Reven Swanson (303.322.4034).

We all look forward to kicking off the new season with a BANG!

glittergirl

riding too.

There's a few who will meet in the lower parking lot about 3:30pm to nab a ride before the mini-crew work. Join if you'd like.

mtbr member
    May 2006

"... and I approve this message."

Quote Originally Posted by Fixation
    Hey Mtbers!

I hope that you will be able to join us this Thursday, May 15 to kick-off the first Mini-Crew Happy Hour of the season.

We all look forward to kicking off the new season with a BANG!
    I wouldn't dream of missing it... see you there!

Brave souls might even venture to http://www.comba.org/minicrew to try out the new sign-up page, hosted by COMBA in support of the Mini Crew Program. Both Fixation and Jana Johns will get copies of the notifications generated by that form.

eci
    Why thursdays?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    Why thursdays?
    why not?

though i'm not on the stewardship committee, we've found in general that there are folks out there who, while willing to volunteer, will not do so (or at least prefer not to do so ) on the weekend and give up a day to ride.

so this way everybody wins... give a few hours after work, make JCOS happy, help the community, and still enjoy your weekend ride.

-
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

eci
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    why not?

though i'm not on the stewardship committee, we've found in general that there are folks out there who, while willing to volunteer, will not do so (or at least prefer not to do so ) on the weekend and give up a day to ride.

so this way everybody wins... give a few hours after work, make JCOS happy, help the community, and still enjoy your weekend ride.

Terry i agree completely, a week day is much better than a weekend. But why not rotate it mon,tues,wed,thurs. That way us with engagements on a certain night of the week we can atleast attend 1 day to help out.

And incase you really wanted to know im available mon and wed nights and would def give a helping hand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    Terry i agree completely, a week day is much better than a weekend. But why not rotate it mon,tues,wed,thurs. That way us with engagements on a certain night of the week we can atleast attend 1 day to help out.
    i'd offer to forward that suggestion on, 'cept the two people most responsible for this program have already posted here.

glittergirl

good comments

Hey, yes I think your suggestion to rotate the day of the week is a valid one.

As we gain more momentum and recognition, I'm sure we'll be able to do that.

Most mtbrs don't know that the Mini-Crew is in it's 3rd year. I've been out pounding sand in the mtb community asking them to join us. It's designed to be fun, easy to join and doesn't chew up an entire weekend day -- of which I'm going to be riding anyway. As a group of mtbers, I wanted to come up with a proactive way to make a clear statement of good will to JCOS and other trail users.

So in coordinating with Jana Johns at JCOS, we settled on a consistent approach of the 3rd Thursdays of every month during the biking season. When you're trying to get people to notice you... we considered making it less confusing.

BUT! In lieu of the fact you can't join on Thursdays, you can help. In a big way!

Tell people about us. Send your wife, kids, cousins, neighbors, former boy scout troop leader out to help us. Leave your hibatchi with fresh burgers smoking for us.

Just spread the good word and karma. That's how the program will grow and be our trump card should there be anymore talk of closures to mtbers in the future.

And as a note, there are other programs, like taking urban kids out for a ride and volunteer work going on with other programs other nights of the week. You can contact Jana at the JCOS website or check CoMBAs website for other stuff going on.

I appreciate your kind words and interest!

Big Boned
    Weather's not looking too friendly for tomorrow. Will this be cancelled/rescheduled if it's as bad as they're predicting right now -- 70% chance of rain, thunderstorms in the afternoon?
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

glittergirl

Weather it might be

Unless it's pouring and lightning, we'll bail on the work for this month and cancel the event. So dress appropriately. We're a tough bunch and have worked in light rain and snow. It makes for great soil conditions.

In any case, I've heard isolated storms possible, so maybe we'll thread the needle and have a window of a couple hours to work.

My recommendation, if you have a chance, take a look at the Doppler before you head out. I will be out there on Parkview Ave regardless to make the decision with those who show up today.

mtbr member

It's almost time...

Here's a map...

click it to go to google maps for the full view.

glittergirl

That was FUN!

Hey, thanks to all who came out last night. I guess there was an accident on Lookout Mountain Road after we all came through, so a couple others weren't able to join us.

We had a good group of nine people out working. Scott Feldman-Peabody was are leader and chief.

Much thanks to the new faces and all those working to gain more experience on the trail.

THANKS! And hope to see you out there again!