mtbr member
    Jan 2006

From MidWest coming to Denver/winter park

Hey guys,

so Me and a buddy of mine are coming out to denver to ride some trails. we are planning on doing some lift accessed stuff and hopefully some shuttleable trails one day too. We are planning on being there aug 19-25. are plan is to ride winter park two days and ride some other trails another day. so here are where my questions come in:

My full suspension bike is an iron horse MKIII (5in travel) built up kind of slopestyle/DJ ish, is it going to be worth packing it up and shipping it out there, or should I just rent a full on DH bike for the three days I'm gonna ride?

second, do you have any recommendations for must ride trails in the area and or people or companies that will shuttle us?

Thanks,

Cully

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I dunno what WP rents,but,i know that my roommate had to pay,about,100$ a day for a rental at Keystone last season. He forgot his wheel or somethin and had to rent from them. Really sucked. I'll always prefer to ride a bike i'm already comfy with. Plus,it'll prolly be cheaper. I think......

And WP's not as burly as Keystone so you may not need the BIG rig.

Living the High Life
    For 2-3 days of riding it probably won't be worth shipping it, its over $100 each way. So I'd rent a bigger bike out here if I were you. Its the geometry of the MK III that will make it more difficult.

You might want to check out Sol Vista Bike Park and Keystone as well as WP. Both have great stuff to ride. Keystone is steeper, more rocks and stuff, Sol Vista is more high speed with lots of well made jumps.

The rentals at Keystone aren't that great, Bit Hit 3 from a few years ago, but only $95 for the bike and gear. Sol Vista has an awesome rental fleet, you can rent a 303, V10, or M6 for a full on DH feel, but its $150 a day (really not bad to demo a $5,000+ bike). They also rent other free ride bikes for $99 with all the gear too.

Anyway, several options for you
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    For 2-3 days of riding it probably won't be worth shipping it, its over $100 each way. So I'd rent a bigger bike out here if I were you. Its the geometry of the MK III that will make it more difficult.

You might want to check out Sol Vista Bike Park and Keystone as well as WP. Both have great stuff to ride. Keystone is steeper, more rocks and stuff, Sol Vista is more high speed with lots of well made jumps.

The rentals at Keystone aren't that great, Bit Hit 3 from a few years ago, but only $95 for the bike and gear. Sol Vista has an awesome rental fleet, you can rent a 303, V10, or M6 for a full on DH feel, but its $150 a day (really not bad to demo a $5,000+ bike). They also rent other free ride bikes for $99 with all the gear too.

Anyway, several options for you
    WP has a fleet of Kona Stinky's too.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by liqwid
    WP has a fleet of Kona Stinky's too.
    I didn't know what WP rented, the Stinky is a better DH bike than the Big Hit 3 (it has a Marz 55 on it for some reason).

Too bad Keystone has the most stuff to ride with the worst bikes to rent.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    I didn't know what WP rented, the Stinky is a better DH bike than the Big Hit 3 (it has a Marz 55 on it for some reason).

Too bad Keystone has the most stuff to ride with the worst bikes to rent.
    Yeah kind of weird, it'd be more fitting if you swapped the two around. I'm assuming Keystone will step it up next year when (or if) they aren't doing any major construction.

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Sol Vista also does rentals (other than the $150/day demos) for about $80/day to rent a Devinci Ollie. Also, Golden Bike shop rents high end DH bikes for $80/day also.

The rentals at Keystone are pretty sad. I was checking one out, and I'm pretty sure those forks are not 7" travel (like they told me), plus the rear shock felt about as good as your average Wal-Mart brand bike rear suspension.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Go across the highway if you want to rent in Keystone--the place in the resort area does suck. Just be warned to call ahead and reserve something cuz they'll sell out in the morning on a summer day.

I'm thinking of renting up in WP this weekend, but I don't know anything about what they've got up there. I know they have a lot of bike shops at least.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa
    Sol Vista also does rentals (other than the $150/day demos) for about $80/day to rent a Devinci Ollie. Also, Golden Bike shop rents high end DH bikes for $80/day also.

The rentals at Keystone are pretty sad. I was checking one out, and I'm pretty sure those forks are not 7" travel (like they told me), plus the rear shock felt about as good as your average Wal-Mart brand bike rear suspension.
    You're right, its not 7", I found it, its a 2006 Big Hit I http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...006&spid=21596 only 6" of travel.

i like rocks
    the kona's at WP looked pretty sweet to me. the kind of respectable rig a guy would actually buy, and pretty new at that. they are about $100 a day, but i think that also includes full armor.

fwiw though, a slopestyle type rig (cully you've seen my bottlerocket) did great though. most of WP is fairly smooth. the only thing i'd be hesitant about with the iron horse is head angle. might be a touch on the steep side for blasting the boulevard at mach looney.

i'd hit WP first, go hit Cheyene, after warming up, hit boulevard, finish either trail with bootcamp. 8ish runs is no problem to get done in a day, and you'll be spent. i spent 3 days in a row at WP and had my fill. if you want to up the difficulty a bit after a day at WP, hit Sol Vista.
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD