contains quinine

Mayhem Gulch/Centennial Cone Hikers

I've been doing a lot of hiking with the family lately, and today on the way back from the mountains the wife asked if we could hike from the Mayhem Gulch trailhead. Sure! We get there, the fancy new parking lot is pretty full. The three of us, including my three year old, head up the trail and spend about an hour on our out and back.

Every single mountain biker was super courteous. It was awesome.

That's all.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

ride
    yeah positive news on the Front Range board!
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've been doing a lot of hiking the past 9 months and haven't had any bad encounters with bikers. Haven't hiked Apex, though.

I have to say, though, I don't hike in what I call a "hiker reverie". I'm always looking ahead and behind for approaching riders and willingly get off the trail. Bikes aren't some foreign object "on MY trails" like a lot of hikers believe so it makes it real easy for me to be courteous to them first. Blind corners are a bit sketchy, though.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I hike a bit, but mostly ride.. in general people are courteous and nice all around, its just a few that spoil the bunch..

I do have issues with the people and their ipods.. makes things difficult.. most hikers hear bikes approaching, but you can't with headphones.. and sometimes you have to yell to get them to hear you.. not safe or smart..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Dumb question: I thought centennial cone was even/odd days with respect to bike/hike? Why would you encounter any bikers?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro
    Dumb question: I thought centennial cone was even/odd days with respect to bike/hike? Why would you encounter any bikers?
    only on sat/sun

mtbr member
    I pretty much just showed I'm a M-F 9-5 monkey.