mtbr member

Maxxis Ignitor UST Problems

We sell loads of the non UST version of the Maxxis Ignitor here. Today, we had a gentleman come in who has had 4 Maxxis Ignitor UST tires get "blisters" in the center of the tire, rendering them "scary to ride".

He isn't using any sealant at all. And he is pumping up the tires to 30psi.

Anyone have thoughts as to the cause or have you seen this problem before?
    Scott T.
    Salvagetti Bicycle Workshop in Denver
    MOUNTAIN / COMMUTE / TOUR
    http://www.salvagetti.com

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    I've had 4 Ignitors do the same thing; as well as a High Roller. All UST, but I did use sealant, Slime Tubeless.

While very unsightly, and a rough ride when they suddenly pop up, especially on the High Roller where I've had bubbles the size on an egg, a pin prick bleeds off the air . After that, the tire seems fine until the next wart pops up.

At one point, my latest Ignitor had a huge bubble surrounding every center line knob. I could take it out for a pavement ride of a few miles and it sounded like popcorn as all the bubbles would rupture.

I don't know what's going on with the Maxxis tires, but I'm about ready to switch.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Maxxis seems willing to warranty blistering tires: L@@K - Maxxis Ignitor blistered with only 220 miles - pics attached

hehe ...you said "member"
    Ive had a few blisters with my Ignitors too. Like OBDave said, a pin poke (I run Stan's) and problem solved.
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

he who goes without food
    As much as I like the ignitors, I have had nearly all of them form blister, sometimes even multiple. Maxxis has been kind enought to place all of them, but the problem continues. Its become a headache I wont bother with them any longer

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Anyone have this problem with Ikons?
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am going to call this the zombie thread. It had been dead for over 3 years and now it has risen and is alive!! Just in time for Halloween.

BLKSS29RGD
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    Anyone have this problem with Ikons?
    Yes I blistered an ICON. It went in the dumpster rather than back to Maxxis, but the next blisters I get I'll let them warranty. This tire already had a shoe goo fix to a sidewall.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

I got a ton of blisters on Maxxis

I got a ton of blisters on Maxxis tires, I gave them a call, they told me it happens. No warranty. I don't ride Maxxis anymore.