mtbr member
    May 2008

Maxwell Trail in Fort Collins

This post is for the person/people who keep removing the rocks and buffing out Maxwell trail (at the west end of prospect) in Fort Collins. That is my backyard trail and there used to be some technical uphill that was at least a little challenging. Someone is removing boulders from the trail that I used to ride up, and now it's just buffed out dirt.
    Heads up you trail diggers... Just because you can't ride up some **** doesn't mean other people don't enjoy it. I can just see some lame-ass mountain biker thinking that they're "buffing out" a trail by removing the technical sections... Now my back yard trail is more like a concrete designated bike path.
    I figured that the NERD who did that would probably be the kind of person to read this forum... If that was you who has been changing that trail, in the words of scott sickles "You're a DORK, and I don't take to NERDS or DORKS."

enough said.
    Zness Da Pness

mtbr member
    I don't think this was a single nerd at work. There are too many sanitized stretches. Wonder if there was some trail work going on.

And are you seriously implying that MTBR readers are the kind of riders that sanitize trails?
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I agree it sucks...but why don't you just go north a bit and ride the cdc trails? Granted it's not as close but the technical bits are much better and you'll rarely encounter anyone. I stay the hell away from Maxwell with all the hikers.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus

And are you seriously implying that MTBR readers are the kind of riders that sanitize trails?
    +1
    You're preaching to the choir here. IMHO this area is more geared toward hikers anyway (is that blasphamy?).

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    Weird stuff. Apparently I found the trails I was asking about in that thread...

"Oldfart from Wayback"

I would be hesitant to point a finger at a MTB'r

The Youth Conservation group out of CSU as been pretty busy around HT and the Foothills trail this summer. I watched them virtually pave a newly raised trailbed with roadbase for 50-60% of the Timber Trail extension on the W side of Pineridge a month or so ago.

In fact I startled the 'supervisor' coming around a corner through a big puddle. He jumped off the trail and I chatted w/him for a few minutes because the "trail crew" was right behind him, hard at "work/sanitizing", and I couldn't even ride through the mess.
    I told him I was sorry I startled him, but that the trail way still pretty wet here and there. He told me , "Don't worry, we're fixing things"

Also in the meantime, I would doubt it was from an XC rider unable to ride 'UP" it, if it wasn't a trail crew. Maxwell is the Apex of the N Front Range and a shuttle trail for all 400' vert feet of it for some reason.
    Last edited by onbelaydave; 07-30-2008 at 06:43 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zness
    This post is for the person/people who keep removing the rocks and buffing out Maxwell trail (at the west end of prospect) in Fort Collins. That is my backyard trail and there used to be some technical uphill that was at least a little challenging. Someone is removing boulders from the trail that I used to ride up, and now it's just buffed out dirt.
    Heads up you trail diggers... Just because you can't ride up some **** doesn't mean other people don't enjoy it. I can just see some lame-ass mountain biker thinking that they're "buffing out" a trail by removing the technical sections... Now my back yard trail is more like a concrete designated bike path.
    I figured that the NERD who did that would probably be the kind of person to read this forum... If that was you who has been changing that trail, in the words of scott sickles "You're a DORK, and I don't take to NERDS or DORKS."

enough said.
    Zness Da Pness
    Has this happened within the last week? I was up there maybe a week ago and it seemed pretty much the same. I swear last time I rode it someone moved some small boulders around the section near the chain link fence. Otherwise, are we talking little rocks or actual boulders?

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by nca777
    Has this happened within the last week? I was up there maybe a week ago and it seemed pretty much the same. I swear last time I rode it someone moved some small boulders around the section near the chain link fence. Otherwise, are we talking little rocks or actual boulders?
    Happened mid-late last week. (Wed or Thurs). Seems like I rode it Wed and all was well, but then on Thurs the deed had been done. The rock drop in the rock garden about 1/4 mile above the fence has been removed. About 3 years ago, someone made a ride-around in that same spot, but apparently that was not enough.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    Happened mid-late last week. (Wed or Thurs). Seems like I rode it Wed and all was well, but then on Thurs the deed had been done. The rock drop in the rock garden about 1/4 mile above the fence has been removed. About 3 years ago, someone made a ride-around in that same spot, but apparently that was not enough.
    So, above the fence, first real switchback, tough to clean? I believe theres a "ride-around" track on the left when you're climbing and a small step in the center? That center step has been removed?

If that's the case, that makes this a totally different trail. I would say the short section before/near the fence and that first switchback make that trail worth riding. Otherwise, it becomes a pretty easy and uneventful glorified road ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    How great would it be if the city opened a second trail nearby. Would make for a fun after work loop.

Open the canned peaches!
    This seems to be an annual occurence, followed closely by grumbling and miller moths.
    Slow is Smooth, and Smooth is Fast.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KBZ77
    This seems to be an annual occurence, followed closely by grumbling and miller moths.
    Still milling...