Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

New question here. Maverick ML8 vs Santa Cruz Nomad

Ok, so i am ready to get a freeride/am bike. Want a build up under or as close to 30lbs as possible. I have narrowed it down to an ML8 and a Nomad. I like the build options better that come with the ML8. If i got a nomad i would probably build it frame up with a fox dhx air and a 36 talas 1.5 steerer. along with xo grupo and hadley hubs/ 823 rims.

Help me decide please. I am leaning more towards the Nomad, but everyone seems to have pretty big boners over their ML8's. A plus is that I live in boulder and could get shock service pretty easily but fox stuff is pretty easy to service on my own i suppose. Thanks

Your retarded
    Personally, I'd say it's up to you.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    See if there is anywhere you can testride each one before you buy it.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Goofing off?
    Test drive them both. Here is a link to Mav (which you probably already saw) with a video about the monolink system they have.

http://www.maverickbike.com/main/do/Monolink_Technology

Oh, So Interesting!
    Mav might be ok, but I wouldn't buy a Taiwanese made frame at that price.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    gonna demo for sure. in mexico till may so i wanted some opinions first cause i cant stop thinking about what im going to get

holding back the darkness
    Don't discount those little tai kids... They can weld pretty good for only being 10 yrs old and paid a buck a day.
    **** censorship

Your retarded
    You may have purchased an American made frame, but every other component on the bike is foreign.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

VooDoo user.
    April foolz was yesterday!!!

The mavericks are maintinence nightmares. They can't even touch the Nomad on the DH. Mavericks suspension was designed to be a good uphiller NOT and DH/FR bike.

If I were you and wanted a true DH/FR trail worthy bike I wouldn't even look at the maverick.

NOMAD all the way.

my .02

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    You may have purchased an American made frame, but every other component on the bike is foreign.

I don't have anything against products made in Taiwan, my issue is with companies who charge a premium for them... especially companies who started in the USA (Maverick AMERICAN), and then don't reduce their prices when they outsource. Apparently they dropped the "American" from their name, but they didn't drop their prices.

Inflexable...
    If we are going to buy American aren't we pretty much limited to beer and prostitutes?

Not knowing anything about the ML8 I guess the correct choice would be Nomad. Of course, riding one does make me biased...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Nomad!!!

percocet pioneer.
    shouldn't be any question in your mind, go for the nomad..

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Where's the Nonad made again?
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Where's the Nonad made again?
    I think its made by a Swedish company in Portland... SAPA?

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    My reco for what you're looking for would be the Nomad.
    That said, Mike West was crushing Semi Pro DH last year on a ML8 with a Boxxer then a 40 up front. So those bikes do seem to go downhill just fine, under a very accomplished Pro XC rider.
    Ariel Lindsley was doing it the year before.
    Both guys worked/raced for Maverick and probably had some special sauce in the r. suspension, but the bikes seemed to work well for them at speed.
    The Nomad is going to be better for a bit of hucking, and a 36 pwns DUC32.

mtbr member
    I'd get the Nomad. I'm sure Mavericks are a lot of fun to ride, but I find the company's willful snubbing of industry standards annoying rather than charming.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    I think its made by a Swedish company in Portland... SAPA?
    Are you surRrrrre?.....
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

MK_
    carpe maŮana
    Regardless of where they're made, and I believe both the Nomad and the ML8 get here on the same boat, there is something to be said about supporting local business. Ultimately, you'll see at least some of those greenbacks spent back in Colorado (you don't hate Yeti, do you?).

But the decision ought to ultimately be based on how the bike rides. Geometry wise, they ought to produce about the same numbers given same forks. The ML8 will have a slightly shorter chainstay and will produce less pedal kickback on the bumps. On the flip side, your whole BB moves on the bumps and that may take some getting used to. Certainly you should demo both.

_MK

P.S. hairylegs' comment about their willful snubbing of the industry standards is funny and pretty much spot on.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Are you surRrrrre?.....
    Turners and SC VPP bikes are made there:

http://www.sapagroup.com/us/Company-...a-Bike-Frames/

MK, you are wrong, they don't come over "on the same boat".

Edit: the Nomad, V10 and Stigmata are made @ sapa. I heard Turners are made there directly from DT himself...
    Last edited by davec113; 04-02-2008 at 04:00 PM.

Your retarded
    Something tells me that going head to head with DWF regarding the bicycle industry might be poorly executed move.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Something tells me that going head to head with DWF regarding the bicycle industry might be poorly executed move.
    I honestly don't know. I've heard that they shifted them overseas, but I don't know if for fact. I would "like" to know, however.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    gonna demo for sure but almost positive that i will get a nomad. want to come in under 30 lbs on a large frame. is this possible. put a post up in the santa cruz section with this same question and my parts list so far

Your retarded
    That might be possible, but it's awfully aggressive. If you are looking for a "freeride/am bike," why are you trying to get sub 30 lbs? Do you want to replace components often? I'd consider sacrificing some weight for more performance.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    Turners and SC VPP bikes are made there:

http://www.sapagroup.com/us/Company-...a-Bike-Frames/

MK, you are wrong, they don't come over "on the same boat".
    Where does it say that on their site? I can't find it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast