mtbr member

Matthew Winters/Dakota Ridge

I've read some threads on Green Mountain, but curious if anyone has a handle on the condiditons at Matthew Winters/Dakota Ridge...rideable tomorrow???

mtbr member
    I would think MW is still not ridable, but give it a couple days.

Erik

god save the queen
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JayG
    I've read some threads on Green Mountain, but curious if anyone has a handle on the condiditons at Matthew Winters/Dakota Ridge...rideable tomorrow???
    I'd say it's prolly worth a shot.
    Check it out.

mtbr member
    MW, I'd say probably not. Dakota Ridge Im sure is 99% dry though

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    is Dakota dry then? How about green mtn?

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by cabdog
    is Dakota dry then? How about green mtn?
    Not checked out Dakota since last Sunday. GM is fully rippable ( ). I must have seen 20 guys out there late Thursday PM.

god save the queen
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    Not checked out Dakota since last Sunday. GM is fully rippable ( ). I must have seen 20 guys out there late Thursday PM.
    It's fine. Dakota and MW, both sides. I drove past all the entrances this morning. Go for it.
    Check it out.

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty pretty thing
    It's fine. Dakota and MW, both sides. I drove past all the entrances this morning. Go for it.
    I say you're optimistic . The entrances looked GREAT last Sunday but there was a TON of snow on the north facing aspects. I would like to be wrong though.
    Last edited by rmac; 03-22-2008 at 09:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Rode MW today, definitely ridable. There are a few spots that are a touch muddy, and a couple of puddles but I think the ground is still pretty hard and didn't feel like I was doing any damage.

Dakota Ridge is good for sure, except for one area of wooden steps, which was covered in ice the last time I rode it. Not doing any trail damage by riding/pushing a bike over that stuff though.

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Pal
    Rode MW today, definitely ridable. There are a few spots that are a touch muddy, and a couple of puddles but I think the ground is still pretty hard and didn't feel like I was doing any damage.

Dakota Ridge is good for sure, except for one area of wooden steps, which was covered in ice the last time I rode it. Not doing any trail damage by riding/pushing a bike over that stuff though.
    Good to hear - thanks for the update.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    another update. Dakota Ridge is very good, one small patch of ice/mud, but everywhere else is super dry. I would say MW needs some more time. I rode DR to red rocks trail toady and there was quite a bit of mud at the end of red rocks trail. i walked a bit as to not mess up the trail. the trail is actually pretty rutted up from too much traffic before it was hard. My advice is ride Dakota, skip MW. GM is dry too.

mtbr member
    I did DR and MW yesterday around 2 PM. DR is perfect pretty much aside from a little snow on the steps. Connected to Red Rocks (didnt make it up Morrison Slide though) trail and its probably 95% clear and dry. There were some large mud puddles and nasty spots that might take a 3 or 4 days to dry up completely. I walked some of it to avoid rutting it up even worse. Maybe Im not a good conservationist, but I didnt think it was bad enough to avoid the trail altogether.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518
    Maybe Im not a good conservationist, but I didnt think it was bad enough to avoid the trail altogether.
    yeah, I guess that is always the tough call. I was just surprised how rutted out the main trail was back to the MW parking lot. It was dry, but you could tell it got pretty tracked when it was wet and then just dried.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leftride
    yeah, I guess that is always the tough call. I was just surprised how rutted out the main trail was back to the MW parking lot. It was dry, but you could tell it got pretty tracked when it was wet and then just dried.
    Yea, I did notice alot of dried ruts right before the last waterbar section (i love those jumps by the way) by those big rocks. The worst damage I noticed was on the first set of switchbacks (coming from the MW parking lot, down into that little ravine where you ride over the creek). they were still really muddy and I noticed alot of bootprints in the mud, not so many tire tracks though. Maybe Im a bit biased though....

had a blast by the way. Didnt get any pictures until the end when we were screwing around at the bottom of MW, practicing some wheelie drops:

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Another vote for DR/RR loop. I rode it yesterday evening with rmac, and the only spots that are not so good are the waterbars by the top of zorro, and a few switchbacks along RR.