Yappy little dog!

Marshall Mesa Today - YEAH!

There were actually a few riding options today, but we decided on Marshall Mesa. I have not been there since the opening of Cowdy Draw and Keith has never been, so why not. It was dry, sun was out, and although temps were a little on the cold side it was pleasant. I won't go into too much detail, since the pictures will do that. We hit just about every trail and although it was a nice day it seemed kind of empty. Well, with the exception of two idiots on XC bikes and one total a$$hat on a CX bike who don't understand yielding to the uphill rider. +RANT ON+ As a matter of fact, the full lycra douchebag coming down coal seem forced us both off the trail. If I see him again (and I suspect I will), I'll lay my bike right down infront of his skinny wheeled ass. +RANT OFF+

contains quinine
    I was out there just after noon, and was surprised that it was that empty as well. No trail user issues for me, everybody was super friendly. I just wish folks would have stayed off the trails when they were soft.

(And by some folks I mean hikers and horses too, especially on Doudy)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

This looks like a likely entrant to "Newbie Trails"

They can be fun, I'm not knocking them. I have to say I don't know where this trail is. Please enlighten me. I was doing taxes all day, no ride. Did Green Mountain yesterday--up the Box O' Rox trail and didn't die whoopee! Totally dry. Yesterday.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    I was out there just after noon, and was surprised that it was that empty as well. No trail user issues for me, everybody was super friendly. I just wish folks would have stayed off the trails when they were soft.

(And by some folks I mean hikers and horses too, especially on Doudy)
    Yeah, we did notice quite a lot of ruts and a few examples of people who thought making trails wider by going around mud was smart.

Funny, that you posted that picture. We were coming back onto the trail from a stop at the lower entrance and I asked what's with all the Yuccas? They don't seem native to that area.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    They can be fun, I'm not knocking them. I have to say I don't know where this trail is. Please enlighten me. I was doing taxes all day, no ride. Did Green Mountain yesterday--up the Box O' Rox trail and didn't die whoopee! Totally dry. Yesterday.
    It is a novice type trail except for maybe one climb. The key is it is close, not very crowded, and mostly dry when everything else isn't. It's a Boulder County park just off 128 and 93.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Yeah, we did notice quite a lot of ruts and a few examples of people who thought making trails wider by going around mud was smart.

Funny, that you posted that picture. We were coming back onto the trail from a stop at the lower entrance and I asked what's with all the Yuccas? They don't seem native to that area.
    Funny you mentioned the yucca. My post over at the Redstone blog: http://www.redstonecyclery.com/blog.php
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Born With A Tail
    I didn't know there were uphills at Marshall Mesa. But it is near Boulder, so there are definitely rude, self-centered douchebags in sizzle-suits. I especially like the condescending looks I get when I'm riding my 16 year old fully rigid. Just kidding, but it's too bad this snow is gonna muck things up for awhile.
    Tequila tonight, tomorrow we ride!

Shattering Glass
    Waaaaa

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

newby, boring, smooth, non technical

Don't bother with the Marshall Mesa, stick to Hall.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    Don't bother with the Marshall Mesa, stick to Hall.

Yeah, and be crowded in by 3000 bikers and 80,000 belligerent hikers. Hall is done. Stick a fork in it, I give it one year from this date before it is a memory in the mountain bikers eye.

Hope I'm wrong, but for now I'll stick to what's not crowded. A ride is a ride.

skillz to pay billz
    that would be a tragedy

nice marmot.
    my $0.02:

defnitely not a hardcore ride, but in my eyes "newbie trail" from a tech standpoint doesn't = "bad trail". If you throw in High Plains Trail, Dowdy Draw and some other singletrack, you end up with a very diverse ride: some fast, some slow, a little climbing, some fun downhill, and on clear days the scenery is awesome. Just forget it on the weekends, WAY too many dogs + hikers.

Rolling
    Funny how some peoples idea of a good ride is simply based on how hard it is.

I think just getting a spin in with a beautiful background is a good ride too.

I think being able to ride to work, then ride a ride and ride home is a good ride..

I think having variety makes lots of good rides.

Marshall, albeit easy, is now much better with the Dowdy draw and east portions. I poo poo'ed it last year but love it. Especially a loop from home including the east boulder trail, teller farm, and south boulder creek trail. Getting more riding options in Boulder from the doorstep is tremendous

..and i you ride fast, it can be a very hard ride.

Life will be even better when the connector from Heil to Hall and the ditch from IBM to Lyons are open.
    Last edited by lidarman; 03-17-2008 at 05:10 PM.

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman

..and i you ride fast, it can be a very hard ride.

Life will be even better when the connector from Heil to Hall and the ditch from IBM to Lyons are open.
    My first time was last week chasing endurance racers on rigid SSs into the wind. Not easy at all. Esp. on a 6" FS trailbike.
    Last edited by nOOby; 03-18-2008 at 08:15 AM.

Shattering Glass

Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    My first time was last week chasing endurance racers on SSs into the wind. Not easy at all.

Singletrack Daydreamer
    I get the same flack taking friends up on to STM down here in Golden. It's like they're expecting the next Fruita to be hiding up there. Well, if the choice is wait until late April to ride Falcon/Apex/Chimney/White Ranch or get some dirt under your wheels just about year round, I'll take my private stash on STM. Sure, you can ride 9 miles and get in less that 800' of vertical, but from a conditioning perspective, I'm not looking for anaerobic death climbs between November and April. Compared to more boring road miles or endless repeats of Lookout, sometimes it's nice to have options like Marshall Mesa, NTM & STM.
    Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!