Trips for Kids Denver

Marshall Mesa night ride tonight? 2/5/13

Howdy,

I'm planning to get to the main trailhead (Hwy 93 & Eldorado Canyon Rd)
    At 5:30 and heading out for a 2 hr ride starting between 5:45 and 6pm.

Anyone with charged lights want to meet? I'll be driving the beat up Trips for Kids white van. Looks to be a nice evening.
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Is it legal to ride there and Dowdy Draw after sunset ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It's ok to ride there at night. I think the parking lots officially close at 11. Twowheel could you post a trail report when you are done, I'm going up there tomorrow.

Trips for Kids Denver
    I will report on conditions

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You may want to give Boulder County a call to verify if night usage is allowed.

According to Boulder County resolution #2011-59; 15.
    Hours
    County Parks and Open Space areas shall be open for daytime use only, between the hours of sunrise and sunset, with the exception of the trail corridors for the Lobo Trail, Coalton Trail, Rock Creek Trail, Meadowlark Trail, and Mayhoffer-Singletree Trail, which trail corridors shall be open 24 hours per day. Further exceptions are permitted only by obtaining written permission from the Director or the Board.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    That's true for BOCO. Marshall Mesa, greenbelt plateau, flatirons, high plains, dowdy and springbrook are all Boulder City OS and are fine for night riding. This is always a confusing thing for folks. All jeffco OS is non night riding also. Green Mountain is City of Lakewood and is open for night rides.

Now older but less slow!
    +1 What brokefork said.

I would ride with you but I can't get out that early. Usually the earliest I can get out on my night rides is around 8pm riding out from Louisville, 8:30-8:45ish down by the trail heads. If you ever want to meet up for a later night ride just PM me.

mtbr member
    I rode

I rode Cowdry to Community Ditch, up Greenbelt Plateau, over Flatirons Vista North, the Spring Brook Lollipop, Doudy back to the community ditch trail, and back across Cowdry draw. It took me about 2 hours. I just started getting back into mountain biking this year so I'm kinda slow. My friends Tim and Alan keep trying to get me to do a night ride there. I have a XML x 1 light. I'm wondering if noobies are welcome. If I'm too slow I can finish up on my own. I'm pretty self sufficient.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the report and pics from the other thread. That spot on Springbrook is always the worst, gobbed my bike up pretty good there last year.

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3sigma View Post
    According to Boulder County resolution #2011-59; 15.
    Hours
    County Parks and Open Space areas shall be open for daytime use only, between the hours of sunrise and sunset, with the exception of the trail corridors for the Lobo Trail, Coalton Trail, Rock Creek Trail, Meadowlark Trail, and Mayhoffer-Singletree Trail, which trail corridors shall be open 24 hours per day. Further exceptions are permitted only by obtaining written permission from the Director or the Board.
    This part is particularly important as it allows the whole Dirty Bismarch to remain open at night. It also permits night time riding of the entire Coal Creek and Rock Creek systems which are all good for a night time cyclocross burn

Trips for Kids Denver
    Quote Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
    I rode

I rode Cowdry to Community Ditch, up Greenbelt Plateau, over Flatirons Vista North, the Spring Brook Lollipop, Doudy back to the community ditch trail, and back across Cowdry draw. It took me about 2 hours. I just started getting back into mountain biking this year so I'm kinda slow. My friends Tim and Alan keep trying to get me to do a night ride there. I have a XML x 1 light. I'm wondering if noobies are welcome. If I'm too slow I can finish up on my own. I'm pretty self sufficient.
    Anyone would be welcome. I'm bringing a big heavy bike and not my race bike. Won't be going fast. Planning to just goof around for a couple hours.

mtbr member
    I would be interested seeing what route you rode tonight, I have never ridden these trails and am curious how folks go about the system. Especially if I were to do a night ride as a first time !

mtbr member
    Great meeting you Andy. It was a fun ride.

Danaco we We basically rode the same route that was quoted above your post. Except we started at the main parking lot and rode up coal seam to start.

Trips for Kids Denver
    Hey Ironbrewer,

Nice to meet you and your riding buddies. Good times.

We rode everything at Marshall Mesa but stayed away from Cowdrey due to the northern exposure.

Coal Seam along Hwy 93 had a few dark spots but no mud.

At the top of Marshall Mesa on the way to Greenbelt Plateau (heading South) the singletrack along the gravel road had a couple long stretches of mud but once over the top is was all dry. The gravel road is dry.

Dropping down into Doudy Draw there was muddy spots and the Springbrook loop had a lot of mud. Doudy Draw from Springbrook down to Community Ditch had a long stretch of mud across most of the trail and folks have widened the trail badly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the report- sounds best to stay away for now

Now older but less slow!

Marshall Mesa night ride tonight? 2/5/13

Thanks for the report. Sounds like I'll stick to doing a couple laps of the Morgul Bismarck for now.

Your bike is incorrigible
    You guys, I want to clear up this legality business. While it is legal to ride flatirons and doudy at night, the people living in the area apparently don't like it. It's a contentious issue that I've commented on before (after I got in trouble). The point was that you shouldn't be overt about riding these trails at night in order to avoid complaints.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka View Post
    ... the people living in the area apparently don't like it...
    Just for clarification, where are these people? Not saying you're lying, it's just... there's what, 3 houses within maybe 1/4 - 1/2 mile of the trail (aside from "downtown" Superior).

And you got in trouble? This is my backyard trail, i don't want it interrupted so mostly curious as I don't want to get in trouble and don't really deal well with this sort of confrontation.

Special Purpose
    Oct 2009
    You guys, I want to clear up this legality business. While it is legal to ride flatirons and doudy at night, the people living in the area apparently don't like it. It's a contentious issue that I've commented on before (after I got in trouble). The point was that you shouldn't be overt about riding these trails at night in order to avoid complaints.

More info please. Lots of us ride these trails at night regularly. This is the first I've heard of it bothering anyone. This fall there were tons of "light trains" out there that were hardly stealthy..

What sort of "trouble" did you get in?

Trips for Kids Denver
    That's wild that Alan and Todd have been trying to get you out on a night ride and they ended up being out there at the same time.

Your bike is incorrigible
    I don't have the email anymore because it was a couple years ago that this happened. I started a thread about riding flatirons and doudy at night. Someone from Boulder Mountain Bike Alliance PMed me about not drawing attention to the fact people were riding there at night. He explained that people living in the area (I'm guessing on the road to Eldorado) didn't look favorably on night riding and that it could lead to closing the trails at night.

Like I said, this happened a couple years ago, and I don't have the message anymore. I think I found it and reposted it last year at some point if someone wants to go looking for it.

Bad Andy!
    I don't have the email anymore because it was a couple years ago that this happened. I started a thread about riding flatirons and doudy at night. Someone from Boulder Mountain Bike Alliance PMed me about not drawing attention to the fact people were riding there at night. He explained that people living in the area (I'm guessing on the road to Eldorado) didn't look favorably on night riding and that it could lead to closing the trails at night.

Like I said, this happened a couple years ago, and I don't have the message anymore. I think I found it and reposted it last year at some point if someone wants to go looking for it.
    I remember it, and yes, it was someone on Eldo Rd - over by the pay parking lot on the north side of the Eldo Rd.
    You know - the rich, influencial NIMBYs .