Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    icegeek is hot

Marshall Mesa Info?

Just wondering, are the trails over there ridable now? I've never ridden that stuff before and want to check it out.

What's the best way to ride trails, and from which lot? Driving around the area it looks like there's at least 3 ways to access them, from the MM trail proper, the Flatirons (???) trailhead just south, and some entrances on the east side of 93.

Any information much appreciated. Thank you and Happy New Year!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Rideable

I bet the trails are in pretty good shape but there will definitely be north facing sections with ice and mud. Here are two pretty ideas for rides in that area

High Plains - Flatirons Vista - High Plains | 303Cycling News
    New Trail in Superior - Completes Dirty Bismarck | 303Cycling News

Have fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I always ride it from the Coleton (sp) road Mcaslin lot. Just closer to my house. I'm interested in knowing condition as well. From past experience the north facing slopes this time of year are quite muddy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    There's no way the Spring Brook trail is dry... it's probably still packed with snow, actually. I would be surprised if things weren't still a little buddy over there. Parts of Marshal Mesa are probably dry, as are parts of High Plains.

It's not the most intense trail system, but for something close it's pretty fun, and the views aren't bad either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    As of late last week none of the MM-area trails were close to being ready. I doubt that they have improved much, and may even be worse with this warmer weather. Your best bet is to try the Coalton and Mayerhoff-Singletree stuff from the Superior side. If that hasn't dried out then you won't want to consider anything west of 93 or the trails closer to Marshall Road. High Plains also tends to take a while to dry out and still had some pretty big ice and snow drifts even before the last storm.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonrider View Post
    As of late last week none of the MM-area trails were close to being ready. I doubt that they have improved much, and may even be worse with this warmer weather. Your best bet is to try the Coalton and Mayerhoff-Singletree stuff from the Superior side. If that hasn't dried out then you won't want to consider anything west of 93 or the trails closer to Marshall Road. High Plains also tends to take a while to dry out and still had some pretty big ice and snow drifts even before the last storm.
    The stuff around Mayerhoff/Singletree is OK. A little damp/sticky in spots, but if you ride through the middle, you won't make things worse, etc. Earlier on the week there was a pretty big section of ice just past the gate near Second Street in Superior, but it might just be slush by now.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
    Just wondering, are the trails over there ridable now? I've never ridden that stuff before and want to check it out.

What's the best way to ride those trails, and from which lot?

I'd recommend continuing passed MM to Lyons.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    I'd recommend continuing passed MM to Lyons.
    That's Friday's plan ...

Thanks everybody!! I'll be careful and report back on the conditions later this afternoon.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

MM is a huge mess

Here's the quick/easy rule for Marshall (if you live within 10 miles of the trailhead):
    -Look out any north-facing window of your house.
    -If there is no snow *at all*, Marshall might be rideable.
    -If there is even a little snow, forget it.

Marshall has a lot of north-facing spots, it's got a lot of places that get wind-loaded and drifted up, and it gets hiked on in the snow, which then packs down to solid ice and takes forever to melt.

I was there 2 days ago (to hike) and it will be at *least* a week before the Coal Seam/Marshall Valley/Cowdry/Community ditch stuff is dry. Everything west of 93 will be mud for even longer. I have not seen the eastern trails recently so I can't comment on those. Plenty of people are riding on the mud, plenty of people are riding off the trail, it's a mess out there. Some sections that started out as 3' wide singletrack are now almost 10'.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Here's the quick/easy rule for Marshall (if you live within 10 miles of the trailhead):
    -Look out any north-facing window of your house.
    -If there is no snow *at all*, Marshall might be rideable.
    -If there is even a little snow, forget it.

Marshall has a lot of north-facing spots, it's got a lot of places that get wind-loaded and drifted up, and it gets hiked on in the snow, which then packs down to solid ice and takes forever to melt.

I was there 2 days ago (to hike) and it will be at *least* a week before the Coal Seam/Marshall Valley/Cowdry/Community ditch stuff is dry. Everything west of 93 will be mud for even longer. I have not seen the eastern trails recently so I can't comment on those. Plenty of people are riding on the mud, plenty of people are riding off the trail, it's a mess out there. Some sections that started out as 3' wide singletrack are now almost 10'.

-Walt
    Well crap. NTM it is.

Or is it?

I gotta ride somewhere.

Maybe WR. :P

mtbr member
    Was going to hit it up as well Since 60+ deg Thursday But Guess Not now !! oh well 80 days till Spring !!
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

icegeek is hot
    And it's been confirmed, NTM is soup. The road bike's as good as it's gonna get me today. Blah.

Quote Originally Posted by YETI_Chris View Post
    oh well 80 days till Spring !!
    You're not helping

mtbr member
    And it's been confirmed, NTM is soup. The road bike's as good as it's gonna get me today. Blah.

You're not helping
    Does This Help?
    162 days Till Winter Park opens for MTN Biking if they open on June 16 !!
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Or... you could read the Trail Conditions thread and head up to Hall Ranch, since it's been confirmed to be good and dry to the loop.

Now older but less slow!
    --Deleted--

Edit: I asked about Rabbit Mountain but then I found the answer in the conditions thread (I'd forgotten about that). So I deleted my post.

But then ignazjr replied in a cross post, so I am updating this to provide context to his reply. I don't want him to appear stupid. That'll be me
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 01-04-2012 at 02:26 PM.

ride
    I was there on Monday. The frontside climb was bone dry. That's all I had time for, but the ranger said the Little T overlook was pretty good. The loop was a mixed bag. I'd guess it should probably be ok for this weekend.

edit - this is for RABBIT MT
    Last edited by ignazjr; 01-04-2012 at 09:51 PM. Reason: clarity
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    I was there on Monday. The frontside climb was bone dry. That's all I had time for, but the ranger said the Little T overlook was pretty good. The loop was a mixed bag. I'd guess it should probably be ok for this weekend.
    Thanks! Today it looked really, really dry, but with Walt's post I didn't want to chance it. Thanks to everybody, for all the info.

Based on the map at the MM trailhead I'm assuming this ride is usually done essentially all as a loop. If so is their a "right"/better direction? I figured I'd do it clockwise just get to know the area and work in any trail options on the Mesa side depending on conditions.

Ride Everything
    Thanks! Today it looked really, really dry, but with Walt's post I didn't want to chance it. Thanks to everybody, for all the info.

Based on the map at the MM trailhead I'm assuming this ride is usually done essentially all as a loop. If so is their a "right"/better direction? I figured I'd do it clockwise just get to know the area and work in any trail options on the Mesa side depending on conditions.
    Google "dirty bismarck".
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Rabbit mtn

ignazjr was talking about Rabbit Mountain, I think, not Marshall.

My favorite ride at Marshall is:
    -Up Coal Seam to Community Ditch, quick left (east)
    -Up Greenbelt Plateau to the 93 intersection.
    -Cross 93 and ride whatever (either the fire road or the boring ST) to the top of Dowdy Draw.
    -Down Dowdy Draw to Springbrook.
    -Around Springbrook, down the rest of Dowdy Draw.
    -Take Community Ditch back to 93, do the scary crossing, back down Coal Seam to finish the ride.

You can add a LOT of mileage by going left at the beginning (onto Marshall Valley) and doing the Marshall Valley/Cowdry Draw/Mayerhoffer-Singletree/Coalton/High Plains thing, which deposits you at 93 where you can pick up the shorter loop.

I personally really only like to ride Marshall area stuff clockwise for some reason. Pretty much all the good stuff (if you're even moderately experienced) is on the West side of 93. Unfortunately that's also the stuff that really does not dry out well.

-Walt

Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

So, TVC15, in light of all the ice/mud conditions confronting you, I think it's fair to ask "what is in your flask"?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    So, TVC15, in light of all the ice/mud conditions confronting you, I think it's fair to ask "what is in your flask"?
    Bud Light, sadly. But it's a Yeti flask if that helps any?

Quote Originally Posted by Walt
    -Cross 93 and ride whatever (either the fire road or the boring ST) to the top of Dowdy Draw.
    -Take Community Ditch back to 93, do the scary crossing, back down Coal Seam to finish the ride.
    THANK YOU! This is exactly what I was hoping for. I can't imagine with the trail options around that area that I'll be riding these trails all that much -- but it's nice to know the scoop to get it right the first time. Muchas gracias!

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Bud Light, sadly.
    Name:  FacePalm.gif
Views: 223
Size:  265 Bytes

we need to talk!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    -Take Community Ditch back to 93, do the scary crossing

Weren't they planning to put an underpass at 93, that road is crazy, especially the traffic coming up the hill around the corner at what seems like 100 mph.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    ignazjr was talking about Rabbit Mountain, I think, not Marshall.

You can add a LOT of mileage by going left at the beginning (onto Marshall Valley) and doing the Marshall Valley/Cowdry Draw/Mayerhoffer-Singletree/Coalton/High Plains thing, which deposits you at 93 where you can pick up the shorter loop.

I personally really only like to ride Marshall area stuff clockwise for some reason. Pretty much all the good stuff (if you're even moderately experienced) is on the West side of 93. Unfortunately that's also the stuff that really does not dry out well.

-Walt
    It's a shame to miss out on the High Plains Drifter.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    -Take Community Ditch back to 93, do the scary crossing

Weren't they planning to put an underpass at 93, that road is crazy, especially the traffic coming up the hill around the corner at what seems like 100 mph.
    It's still planned, as far as I know. Ditch companies move about as fast as erosion, sadly.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast