Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Rolling

Marshall Mesa is going to charge ya if...

...if you park at the Southern open space trails and are not a Boulder County Resident....Starting June 27.

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_18272782

No big deal for the most part.

But If you really, really feel the need to drive to Boulder to ride Marshall, just be aware.....and park somewhere else nearby and ride.

--Your public service announcement.

PS: It's easier to park somewhere else, like 100 yards away than complain. I'm just warning you all--for your benefit.
    Last edited by lidarman; 06-14-2011 at 10:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Ok fine to hell with you boulder i will just stay in jeffco now. not like those trails are that great.

Pivot Rider
    Well, this sucks eggs, big time! When work gives me a long lunch, I like to go ride my bike either there or at Betasso. So the fact that I WORK in Boulder doesn't exempt me it appears. Betasso is gonna get really boring..... sigh. I guess Boulder County is trying to keep their trails for Boulder residents. Not an especially wise move.....
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetigirl View Post
    Well, this sucks eggs, big time! When work gives me a long lunch, I like to go ride my bike either there or at Betasso. So the fact that I WORK in Boulder doesn't exempt me it appears. Betasso is gonna get really boring..... sigh. I guess Boulder County is trying to keep their trails for Boulder residents. Not an especially wise move.....
    Just park at the gravel lot by the Northern trailhead of Marshall Mesa or someone else near.

I live in BoCo but I am not a big fan of this move. I expect to see nearby counties (Jeffco and Larimer) to follow suit, which will suck for me just like this sucks for non-BoCo residents.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Sounds like when they "civilized" the Scraggy lot at Buff Creek. Just park 50 yards away and ride to the lot... problem solved.

contains quinine
    Larimer County already does this - ever ride horsetooth, devil's backbone, etc...
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
    Larimer County already does this - ever ride horsetooth, devil's backbone, etc...
    Does Devils BB do this now? I thought it was only Lory State Park and that one lot at Horsetooth.

But yup!

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    DBB is free, as is Bobcat, Coyote Ridge, Soapstone, Maxwell, Crosier, Round Mountain, Red Feathers, the Poudre Canyon trails, yada,yada.

The ONLY Larimer Cnty park/open space that requires a fee is HTMP.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Indian Creek does as well- even the newish 543 lot at BC has a donation post- that red post as you drive in but i dont mind tossing a few bucks now and then - towards the local fire and rescue.

Are these all the TH around the area- if my son plays in in boulder this next year im gonna be up that way alot- was mapping some rides starting at the new CoaltonTH.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    Are these all the TH around the area- if my son plays in in boulder this next year im gonna be up that way alot- was mapping some rides starting at the new CoaltonTH.
    Only three areas to start; South Mesa, Flatirons vista and Doudy Draw.

South Mesa is a hikers only trailhead.
    Flatirons vista is the one on the west side of hwy 93 just south of 128.
    Doudy draw trailhead is across from South Mesa on Eldorado springs road.

I would pay attention. They might start slipping in more trail heads. It should be clearly signed but keep a heads up during the summer.

Pivot Rider
    Thanks for the heads up! This is really good info and it is appreciated!
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Wow, what a sh*tty move by Boulder. The people that run that town have their heads so far up their asses that they can't see the crap they're spewing.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave View Post
    DBB is free, as is Bobcat, Coyote Ridge, Soapstone, Maxwell, Crosier, Round Mountain, Red Feathers, the Poudre Canyon trails, yada,yada.

Coulda swore dbb asked for $ but it's been a long time.

Hermit Park does require an entry fee as well.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave View Post

OBD, that's a bunch of different land managers there. Bobcat, Coyote Ridge, Soapstone, and Maxwell are all City of Ft Collins. Crosier and the rest are USFS. Closest Larimer county OS to me is Hermit Park and I have to pay $6 whether I go on foot, bike, or car.

I just looked at the Larimer County OS. Looks like they charge the hardest hit areas or the places where they feel good about making a buck.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Wow, what a sh*tty move by Boulder. The people that run that town have their heads so far up their asses that they can't see the crap they're spewing.
    Wow!

Steve, Maybe you should post that on the Daily Camera Blog. This is definitely an appropriate sort of comment for that forum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yeah, a little harsh... but well-deserved. It's not like the trails they're charging to use (or to park, whatever) are even that good- they're just crowded.

I ride Doudy Draw/MM/Flatirons a decent amount at lunch, but luckily there's plenty of other places to park and ride the same network of trails. If they made me pay every time I wanted to ride there, I'd stop altogether.

not actually bad :)
    WOW.

If they're so worried about the lack of parking spaces, maybe they should charge the Boulder/Boulder County residents to park there instead, since they could ride there easier, and shouldn't have to drive!
    Or they could have used the lack of parking as more ammo to approve bikes on the 1 trail in west TSA!

Old Codger

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy! View Post
    WOW.

If they're so worried about the lack of parking spaces, maybe they should charge the Boulder/Boulder County residents to park there instead, since they could ride there easier, and shouldn't have to drive!
    Or they could have used the lack of parking as more ammo to approve bikes on the 1 trail in west TSA!

Good point. But Boulder residents pay a lot of taxes for open space ( A whole other point of argument every election cycle)....which is much more than that silly $5

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    This will certainly help raise the ire to continue my boycott of MM. Now if I could boycott Boulder County. Unfortunately Lyons and Longmont will not start a move to secede.

I know no one cares if I don't ride down there I just think this type of thing isn't helping encourage people who already avoid Boulder commercially and recreationally.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman View Post
    ...if you park at the Southern open space trails and are not a Boulder County Resident....Starting June 27.

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_18272782

No big deal for the most part.

But If you really, really feel the need to drive to Boulder to ride Marshall, just be aware.....and park somewhere else nearby and ride.

--Your public service announcement.

PS: It's easier to park somewhere else, like 100 yards away than complain. I'm just warning you all--for your benefit.

Please tell me there is an exemption for BMBP. Even FRMBP gets to park for free at Little Scraggy. If they are going to charge me to volunteer, I have a problem with that.

Also, are they going to run every license plate for an address? That seems like an awfully time consuming waste of law enforcement.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    seems like a bad move, but it is a high traffic area. Even though i live in Boulder, it still makes Boulder look bad and encourages people to go elsewhere to enjoy the outdoors. Personally if i didn't live in Boulder i wouldn't come back as i feel $5 is way too steep, that place should be free for all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    This will certainly help raise the ire to continue my boycott of MM. Now if I could boycott Boulder County. Unfortunately Lyons and Longmont will not start a move to secede.
    Oh, there's been talk: http://www.timescall.com/opinion/editorial/ci_18192449

Highly unlikely though.

mtbr member
    And another reason Boulder sucks.....sorry but that place just bothers me. We rode all that MM stuff last weekend....what a disaster that place is. People complain about Jeffco trails being crowded....that place was insane. Massive hiking groups *****ing about the government and how "green" they are in Boulder, hammered double track and braided trails everywhere.

I am not so against the charging to park, but to actually spend money to enforce the charging of non Boulder residents is just strange. Maybe Jeffco should only charge Boulder residents to park at our trail heads.

If they are going to charge just charge everyone. Makes things much easier to manage.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Coulda swore dbb asked for $ but it's been a long time.

Hermit Park does require an entry fee as well.
    The two ride-worthy trail systems in the Fort Collins area that charge user fees are Horsetooth Mountain Park ($6) and Lory State Park ($7). I guess you could include Curt Gowdy State Park as well ($6).

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    Please tell me there is an exemption for BMBP. Even FRMBP gets to park for free at Little Scraggy. If they are going to charge me to volunteer, I have a problem with that.

Also, are they going to run every license plate for an address? That seems like an awfully time consuming waste of law enforcement.

Just heard back from OSMP, volunteers get a parking permit.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast