Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rolling

Marshall Mesa is going to charge ya if...

...if you park at the Southern open space trails and are not a Boulder County Resident....Starting June 27.

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_18272782

No big deal for the most part.

But If you really, really feel the need to drive to Boulder to ride Marshall, just be aware.....and park somewhere else nearby and ride.

--Your public service announcement.

PS: It's easier to park somewhere else, like 100 yards away than complain. I'm just warning you all--for your benefit.
    Last edited by lidarman; 06-14-2011 at 11:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Ok fine to hell with you boulder i will just stay in jeffco now. not like those trails are that great.

Pivot Rider
    Well, this sucks eggs, big time! When work gives me a long lunch, I like to go ride my bike either there or at Betasso. So the fact that I WORK in Boulder doesn't exempt me it appears. Betasso is gonna get really boring..... sigh. I guess Boulder County is trying to keep their trails for Boulder residents. Not an especially wise move.....
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetigirl View Post
    Well, this sucks eggs, big time! When work gives me a long lunch, I like to go ride my bike either there or at Betasso. So the fact that I WORK in Boulder doesn't exempt me it appears. Betasso is gonna get really boring..... sigh. I guess Boulder County is trying to keep their trails for Boulder residents. Not an especially wise move.....
    Just park at the gravel lot by the Northern trailhead of Marshall Mesa or someone else near.

I live in BoCo but I am not a big fan of this move. I expect to see nearby counties (Jeffco and Larimer) to follow suit, which will suck for me just like this sucks for non-BoCo residents.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Sounds like when they "civilized" the Scraggy lot at Buff Creek. Just park 50 yards away and ride to the lot... problem solved.

contains quinine
    Larimer County already does this - ever ride horsetooth, devil's backbone, etc...
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
    Larimer County already does this - ever ride horsetooth, devil's backbone, etc...
    Does Devils BB do this now? I thought it was only Lory State Park and that one lot at Horsetooth.

But yup!

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    DBB is free, as is Bobcat, Coyote Ridge, Soapstone, Maxwell, Crosier, Round Mountain, Red Feathers, the Poudre Canyon trails, yada,yada.

The ONLY Larimer Cnty park/open space that requires a fee is HTMP.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Indian Creek does as well- even the newish 543 lot at BC has a donation post- that red post as you drive in but i dont mind tossing a few bucks now and then - towards the local fire and rescue.

Are these all the TH around the area- if my son plays in in boulder this next year im gonna be up that way alot- was mapping some rides starting at the new CoaltonTH.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    Are these all the TH around the area- if my son plays in in boulder this next year im gonna be up that way alot- was mapping some rides starting at the new CoaltonTH.
    Only three areas to start; South Mesa, Flatirons vista and Doudy Draw.

South Mesa is a hikers only trailhead.
    Flatirons vista is the one on the west side of hwy 93 just south of 128.
    Doudy draw trailhead is across from South Mesa on Eldorado springs road.

I would pay attention. They might start slipping in more trail heads. It should be clearly signed but keep a heads up during the summer.

Pivot Rider
    Thanks for the heads up! This is really good info and it is appreciated!
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

mtbr member
    Wow, what a sh*tty move by Boulder. The people that run that town have their heads so far up their asses that they can't see the crap they're spewing.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave View Post
    DBB is free, as is Bobcat, Coyote Ridge, Soapstone, Maxwell, Crosier, Round Mountain, Red Feathers, the Poudre Canyon trails, yada,yada.

Coulda swore dbb asked for $ but it's been a long time.

Hermit Park does require an entry fee as well.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave View Post

OBD, that's a bunch of different land managers there. Bobcat, Coyote Ridge, Soapstone, and Maxwell are all City of Ft Collins. Crosier and the rest are USFS. Closest Larimer county OS to me is Hermit Park and I have to pay $6 whether I go on foot, bike, or car.

I just looked at the Larimer County OS. Looks like they charge the hardest hit areas or the places where they feel good about making a buck.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Wow, what a sh*tty move by Boulder. The people that run that town have their heads so far up their asses that they can't see the crap they're spewing.
    Wow!

Steve, Maybe you should post that on the Daily Camera Blog. This is definitely an appropriate sort of comment for that forum.

mtbr member
    Yeah, a little harsh... but well-deserved. It's not like the trails they're charging to use (or to park, whatever) are even that good- they're just crowded.

I ride Doudy Draw/MM/Flatirons a decent amount at lunch, but luckily there's plenty of other places to park and ride the same network of trails. If they made me pay every time I wanted to ride there, I'd stop altogether.

not actually bad :)
    WOW.

If they're so worried about the lack of parking spaces, maybe they should charge the Boulder/Boulder County residents to park there instead, since they could ride there easier, and shouldn't have to drive!
    Or they could have used the lack of parking as more ammo to approve bikes on the 1 trail in west TSA!

Old Codger

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy! View Post
    WOW.

If they're so worried about the lack of parking spaces, maybe they should charge the Boulder/Boulder County residents to park there instead, since they could ride there easier, and shouldn't have to drive!
    Or they could have used the lack of parking as more ammo to approve bikes on the 1 trail in west TSA!

Good point. But Boulder residents pay a lot of taxes for open space ( A whole other point of argument every election cycle)....which is much more than that silly $5

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    This will certainly help raise the ire to continue my boycott of MM. Now if I could boycott Boulder County. Unfortunately Lyons and Longmont will not start a move to secede.

I know no one cares if I don't ride down there I just think this type of thing isn't helping encourage people who already avoid Boulder commercially and recreationally.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman View Post
    ...if you park at the Southern open space trails and are not a Boulder County Resident....Starting June 27.

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_18272782

No big deal for the most part.

But If you really, really feel the need to drive to Boulder to ride Marshall, just be aware.....and park somewhere else nearby and ride.

--Your public service announcement.

PS: It's easier to park somewhere else, like 100 yards away than complain. I'm just warning you all--for your benefit.

Please tell me there is an exemption for BMBP. Even FRMBP gets to park for free at Little Scraggy. If they are going to charge me to volunteer, I have a problem with that.

Also, are they going to run every license plate for an address? That seems like an awfully time consuming waste of law enforcement.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    seems like a bad move, but it is a high traffic area. Even though i live in Boulder, it still makes Boulder look bad and encourages people to go elsewhere to enjoy the outdoors. Personally if i didn't live in Boulder i wouldn't come back as i feel $5 is way too steep, that place should be free for all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    This will certainly help raise the ire to continue my boycott of MM. Now if I could boycott Boulder County. Unfortunately Lyons and Longmont will not start a move to secede.
    Oh, there's been talk: http://www.timescall.com/opinion/editorial/ci_18192449

Highly unlikely though.

mtbr member
    And another reason Boulder sucks.....sorry but that place just bothers me. We rode all that MM stuff last weekend....what a disaster that place is. People complain about Jeffco trails being crowded....that place was insane. Massive hiking groups *****ing about the government and how "green" they are in Boulder, hammered double track and braided trails everywhere.

I am not so against the charging to park, but to actually spend money to enforce the charging of non Boulder residents is just strange. Maybe Jeffco should only charge Boulder residents to park at our trail heads.

If they are going to charge just charge everyone. Makes things much easier to manage.

pain intolerant
    Coulda swore dbb asked for $ but it's been a long time.

Hermit Park does require an entry fee as well.
    The two ride-worthy trail systems in the Fort Collins area that charge user fees are Horsetooth Mountain Park ($6) and Lory State Park ($7). I guess you could include Curt Gowdy State Park as well ($6).

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    Please tell me there is an exemption for BMBP. Even FRMBP gets to park for free at Little Scraggy. If they are going to charge me to volunteer, I have a problem with that.

Also, are they going to run every license plate for an address? That seems like an awfully time consuming waste of law enforcement.

Just heard back from OSMP, volunteers get a parking permit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Eff you Boulder.

There's a lot a couple hundred yards away. I'll park there until they extend the fees.

Stiff yet compliant
    Yeah, Eff you Boulder. Now excuse me while I go ride your trails.

mtbr member
    Hum...I wonder if JeffCoOS can mandate a JSCO park usage and parking fee for Boulder residents only...?

Might cut down on the Professional XC Heroes crowd a...LOT
    Last edited by Pau11y; 06-15-2011 at 09:56 AM.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm surprised people are so bent out of shape about the cost. I'm sure it's expensive to maintain a place that gets as much use as Marshall. Bummer that I'm not exempt for working in Boulder, but $25 annually isn't that bad for people who ride there often. Not to mention that it's a charge per car so your buddies can split it with you if you carpool (single use or annual).

MM seems like an odd place to do something like this since there are several parking options besides the South lot (which I don't think I've ever used). I use the lot at Marshall and Eldorado Springs or the one at McCaslin and Coalton. Am I correct that there will be no fees there?

If this trend moves forward, people will park along the roads. As a driver, I'd rather see people use parking lots. Nearby residents (like those on Marshall Road) would probably rather users park in lots than in front of their houses.

lucky enough
    Yes this is controversial. This fee thing has been brought up by several folks through the years. Boulder already charges a fee for non-county folks for use up along Flagstaff. What pushes this is the fact that these are really popular areas. On a nice day you will likely not find a parking space at South Mesa and Dowdy Draw. Some folks worry that parts of open space are over used and this would be a way to help mitigate that.
    Another rational that has been pointed out is that Boulder City and County residents are taxed for open space so this is a way of having other users share the burden.
    As BB points out, there is a $25 annual fee option.

Should we be getting something else in return? The Open Space Board of Trustees, at least some of them, are pushing for more trails, including some for mountain bikes. Hopefully some of these will materialize in the next few years.

PS, what is this "rep power" thing under our avatar. And how in the world did Lidarman get a rating of 18?
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak View Post
    PS, what is this "rep power" thing under our avatar. And how in the world did Lidarman get a rating of 18?
    Cause he kissed Francois's a$$.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    As a Boulder County resident, this doesn't bother me. And remember, this isn't just city of Boulder, all Boulder county residents are free. And $25 is not a lot to pay if you use these trailheads frequently. And FWIW, if you people actually paid attention, this shouldn't affect you at all. The main Marshall Mesa TH is not included, there's a TH across the highway from Flatirons Vista that isn't included too. How many of you pissing and moaning have stopped to look at whether this will really affect you?

And even if they add in all those THs, again, it isn't that much money. And it really sucks to drive to the South Mesa TH to hike the dogs and find it 100% full. And Doudy Draw across the street full as well. And they already do this on Flagstaff Mt (and it's been in place for a loooong time), but none of you are *****ing about that because you're not riding there (unless you're poaching illegal trails ).

And smmokan, if they made all those THs paid, for trails that you ride frequently but don't pay for with your taxes (since I guess you're not a Boulder Cty resident), you'd really ditch riding there rather than pay $25 for the year? If so, well, I guess I like this pay system more and more, it looks like it will make those trails much less crowded!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwhan View Post
    As a Boulder County resident, this doesn't bother me. :
    Of course it doesn't that is the Boulder way.....

After riding there last weekend I actually commented to my wife how happy I am that we live in Golden and do not have that trail system as our default go to place.

Also wondering what kind of tax pays for Boulder open space? If it is property tax only homeowners are paying into the system (a lot of rentals in Boulder). If it is sales tax anyone who visits Boulder and spends money is paying into the system.

It isn't the money it is the principal of it and the fact that they are going to spend time and money to enforce this. Like I already said just charge everyone to park there...the tax argument is BS and from the looks of those trails they aren't doing any maintenance up there anyway.....the whole place is a super highway. Looks like everyone up there uses those trails when muddy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post

After riding there last weekend I actually commented to my wife how happy I am that we live in Golden and do not have that trail system as our default go to place.

Also wondering what kind of tax pays for Boulder open space? If it is property tax only homeowners are paying into the system (a lot of rentals in Boulder). If it is sales tax anyone who visits Boulder and spends money is paying into the system.

It isn't the money it is the principal of it and the fact that they are going to spend time and money to enforce this. Like I already said just charge everyone to park there...the tax argument is BS and from the looks of those trails they aren't doing any maintenance up there anyway.....the whole place is a super highway. Looks like everyone up there uses those trails when muddy.
    Never ridden Betasso...and judging from your post, it's more like Betass-hole? Whatev...more reason to stay away from that 39 sq mile *****hole...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Never ridden Betasso...and judging from your post, it's more like Betass-hole? Whatev...more reason to stay away from that 39 sq mile *****hole...
    This was all the MM and Flat Irons vista stuff we rode....I haven't been to Betasso either, but have heard it is pretty nice now with the new trail up there. Boulder is what it is and that will never change.....I prefer Golden. Rant over....

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005

Always interesting to see people get all bent out of shape about Boulder. Boulder is the DEVIL! Boulder is EVIL! The trails suck and everyone riding them sucks! Well, then, stay the F away and quit your b*tching.

Yes, I am a Boulder resident and am not pissed about this. So what? The first few times I encountered the pay system (on Flagstaff) I was not a Boulder resident (or a front range resident), and I paid. And I didn't whine. I thought "hmmm, locals get to use the trails for free, out of towners pay a small fee, ok". Don't know why that is so revolutionary or deserving of so much entitled b*tching. And if JeffCO instituted a similar system, I would either pay or not ride there (or not pay and take my chances with a ticket ). One thing I would certainly not do is come on the interwebz and start b*tching about JeffCO and how everyone who lives there sucks.

Loser
    Mar 2008
    So the High Plains parking lot is still free?

mtbr member
    Well, then, stay the F away and quit your b*tching.
    I think you are taking the internet a little too serious (no one is making you come to MTBR and read this thread and respond) and this pretty much proves my point about Boulder . Liberal, hippy Boulder is so friendly....

I don't ride the trails up there much at all.....only been to MM 3 times in 6 years. So you don't have to worry about me crowding out "your" trails.

Boulder is a unique place....

mtbr member
    Boulder is what it is and that will never change.....I prefer Golden. Rant over....
    +1

Boulder's special alright...special ed!

*Now, where the hell is that hornet's nest...
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    I think you are taking the internet a little too serious (no one is making you come to MTBR and read this thread and respond) and this pretty much proves my point about Boulder . Liberal, hippy Boulder is so friendly....

I don't ride the trails up there much at all.....only been to MM 3 times in 6 years. So you don't have to worry about me crowding out "your" trails.

Boulder is a unique place....
    See, this kind of stuff just makes me laugh. I'm being the unique Boulderite who is so unfriendly, when I haven't said a negative word about anyone, not even you, and I certainly haven't generalized about a bunch of people based on where they live. Yet you give me the rolleyes and say I'm proving your point about Boulder by simply responding to your negative posts. It's really remarkable how that works.

And I'm not worried about the trails, I never claimed ownership of them. Just said that I don't see the fee as a big deal. But thanks for leaving the trails to me!

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Sounds like a knee jerk move because some whiny a$$ residents cant get front row parking. Bet they never consider if this would reduce the after hike/ride food and drink sales from us non residents. Oh well those same whiny residents will have something else to complain about when BOCO ask them to open their wallets to make up the difference.

C

mtbr member
    Found the hornet's nest...

Fixed it for ya

Boulder is the DEVIL! Boulder is EVIL! The trails suck and everyone riding them sucks! Well, then, stay the F away and quit your b*tching.
    Just quotin'...
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Hopefully they can use some of the money to fix up the trails in the MM/Doudy Draw area, because over the last two years they have significantly degraded in quality and condition. The "singletrack" is 5-ft wide, there are braided trails everywhere, and Boulder is doing their best by discouraging bikers by placing small, loose rocks on almost every trail. Maybe now with less people riding/hiking there, the trails will be a little better.

mtbr member
    Kind of odd how haphazard they are implementing this. All it's going to do is shift the congestion to all the other lots, at least until they institute it everywhere, which I'm pretty sure they'll do. Forget finding a parking space at even the Marshall Mesa trailhead, which is pretty large.

I envision a gangland scenario where you have all the Boulderites in the pay lots and all the non-Boulderites in the free lots. Maybe they can all wear blue and we can all wear red? Let's take "trail conflicts" to a whole new level. Any Boulderite caught in the free lots will be subject to an instant shanking.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Boulder has MM grants for those that can prove financial hardship. Just call the main number and ask for Trish in the grant dept.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iMMature View Post
    Boulder has MM grants for those that can prove financial hardship. Just call the main number and ask for Trish in the grant dept.
    Sooo... anyone making less than $120K/yr should qualify?
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    It's a county taking care of it's residents. I don't see anything wrong with it.

It's a bit of a gamble on whether that will chase out-of-town dollars away, but that's Boulder's problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I've lived here since 1993 and never ridden a Boulder County trail. But I've heard there are some nice ones...

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    It's a county taking care of it's residents. I don't see anything wrong with it.

It's a bit of a gamble on whether that will chase out-of-town dollars away, but that's Boulder's problem.
    Exactly. But given that these trails are on the South end of Boulder county, I doubt whether many people are hiking or biking and then going into Boulder to spend their money. Of course, they could choose not to go to Boulder some other time based on this, but that seems unlikely to me.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Sooo... anyone making less than $120K/yr should qualify?
    Sweet! I get a scholarship! Oh, wait, I don't need one.

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    I've lived here since 1993 and never ridden a Boulder County trail. But I've heard there are some nice ones...

Nope, there aren't. Nothing to see here, move along.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast