Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Marshall Mesa Conditions

Since all the snow is gone and we will be in the high 50's for the next few days and it will be in the mid 60's sat do you think this trail will be dry for the most part. I really want to get out since this will be the first weekend i will be able to go.

Perpetually single track
    Quote Originally Posted by Klein_Christopher
    Since all the snow is gone and we will be in the high 50's for the next few days and it will be in the mid 60's sat do you think this trail will be dry for the most part. I really want to get out since this will be the first weekend i will be able to go.
    I'm gonna go with a tentative yes on this. Last weekend I road the loop from Superior, avoiding the lower/newer ST that goes to the new trailhead since I heard it was still wet. Coalton trail had a section of hike a bike across a 50yd snow drift...which I bet is mostly gone now, cowdry trail was really good except for one soft spot, High plains trail had 2 or 3 soft/muddy sections which required respect for the trail. All the double track sections were good. Enjoy and ride THROUGH the mud.

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot I hope its a go to ride i can't wait.

Ride Everything
    Should be in pretty good shape. I rode from the main (new) trailhead last Saturday, and encountered only a few sections of concern. I'm hoping to spend some time there this Saturday, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for good weather.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    I'll scout tonight and report back if I can take my SS. We'll see if the tire is sealed up when I get home. Otherwise I'll check from the road.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

mtbr member
    Thanks Pivvay can't wait to hear your report.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

conditions 2/28

All trails are dry on the front side of Marshall Mesa (rode them today). I don't know about High plains trail. Maybe I'll check that out tomorrow around lunch-time.

Old, stale, negative
    Rode today. The top part of Coalton is a touch muddy but avoided by going off trail. You're call. Passable for sure. The rest is money. I say have at it or go ride the other open dry spots( DBB, Heil, Hall, Sour Dough as I read it on this site!).

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by bstrick
    Rode today. The top part of Coalton is a touch muddy but avoided by going off trail.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004

all clear

Rode everything but Dowdy (Coalton, High Plains, all of Marshall, Cowdey) on my way to Boulder for dinner with the wifey. Got pictures but i'm going to bed soon so they won't be posted tonight.

Short answer is go ride! Coalton is mostly melted out of the huge drift and the big drift on high plains is even gone and not muddy. There are occasional puddles but not even anything worth walking around. I bunnyhopped all of the wet spots.

And don't harass the other poster about riding off trail on Coalton. It's pretty much a dirt road, there is no "trail" anyway.

Yay! So glad to have some longer dirt back near the house again.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by Pivvay
    Yay! So glad to have some longer dirt back near the house again.
    I'm tentatively thinking of the big loop down here come Sunday morning, tenish, if anyone's interested.

What to ride on Saturday is the big question....
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Perpetually single track
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    I'm tentatively thinking of the big loop down here come Sunday morning, tenish, if anyone's interested.

What to ride on Saturday is the big question....
    I hear Pueblo is good...
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

now in superlight!
    We just got back from Couwdery draw- douwdy draw- the trail was dry except for 2 small goopy mud places- one was about 3 feet and the othr was about 20 yards- and had yo be walked around...otherwise it was a great outing!!
    If you don't stop whining- I'll call the whaaaa-mbulance!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by bstrick
    Rode today. The top part of Coalton is a touch muddy but avoided by going off trail.....

Quote Originally Posted by daddyguy
    We just got back from Couwdery draw- douwdy draw- the trail was dry except for 2 small goopy mud places- one was about 3 feet and the othr was about 20 yards- and had yo be walked around...otherwise it was a great outing!!
    Are these jokes? I can't believe I'm reading this.

http://www.imba.com/about/trail_rules.html

2. Leave No Trace.

Be sensitive to the dirt beneath you. Recognize different types of soils and trail construction; practice low-impact cycling. Wet and muddy trails are more vulnerable to damage. When the trailbed is soft, consider other riding options. This also means staying on existing trails and not creating new ones. Don't cut switchbacks. Be sure to pack out at least as much as you pack in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Are these jokes? I can't believe I'm reading this.

http://www.imba.com/about/trail_rules.html

2. Leave No Trace.

Be sensitive to the dirt beneath you. Recognize different types of soils and trail construction; practice low-impact cycling. Wet and muddy trails are more vulnerable to damage. When the trailbed is soft, consider other riding options. This also means staying on existing trails and not creating new ones. Don't cut switchbacks. Be sure to pack out at least as much as you pack in.
    But they might get dirty!!!!!

now in superlight!
    the one small goopy mud area that I described was between trees on the left and the drop off on the right- riding through was the only option. the larger spot we did walk around- along with a couple of hikers that traversed the area on top of larger rocks- so hopefully the impact is minimal at best
    If you don't stop whining- I'll call the whaaaa-mbulance!

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    I hear Pueblo is good...
    Too much windshield time.

Leaning towards Loveland, or maybe Heil/Lefthand area.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Sunday might be good. I will have to see what kind of training I get in tomorrow post PBville race. Wish it would be 70 on sunday for a long ride instead of 40 and snowing.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

Ride Everything
    Just got back from riding MM, and it was sublime. Crowded (which was to be expected), but sublime.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    I was there from 11.30 till 1 pm and man there was a lot hikers out today .This was the first time i was out this year and loved it. I wish Sunday was the same .

Give dirt to me... Repent
    Jul 2005
    Hit it last night between 9-11pm and it was perfect. Bone-dry everywhere except the already-mentioned snow/mud hole on the road on top of Coalton. Best of all, other than a few rabbits the trails were totally deserted. Looks like tonight might be the last chance to catch it like this in a while.

Rolling
    I just got back from there. Wow was it crowded. There were a few mud holes on the switchbacks at Dowdy but they were rideable without skirting them.

mtbr member
    Just got back too! I was the slow guy

I heart the drops
    I should be there around 830-1000 pm tonight sneaking in a night ride
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

I heart the drops

What a night

That was a pretty good ride it was still 60 out and I got to ride my new cross bike
    Picture 289.jpg

Picture 288.jpg

Picture 287.jpg

Picture 286.jpg

Picture 291.jpg
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast