Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Now older but less slow!

Marshall Mesa closure due to cave in

Just got this notice by email.

Marshall Valley Trail closed starting November 22nd

The Marshall Valley Trail is closed due to a mine cave-in approximately 100 yards east of the trailhead. The Marshall Mesa trail system sits on top of several old coal mines. Users of the area should always be cautious due to the potential for mine cave-ins at any time. State Mine Safety staff has been notified and will be coordinating mitigation starting on Monday. Users are highly encouraged to respect the closure for their own safety.

The Marshall Valley Trail is the one that heads east from the Marshall Mesa trail head and goes over the white rocks before climbing up to community ditch.

lucky enough
    oops!
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    Users of the area should always be cautious due to the potential for mine cave-ins at any time.
    How is one to be cautious against the ground falling out from under them? I'm going to start biking with a belt of helium balloons.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Imagine taking a turn in a trail and going downhill in a coal mine.
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

mtbr member
    Wow!!

The 5th knuckle
    Public service only recently stopped using the Liden mine over there for natural gas storage. I think they built a subdivision on it now. When it was fully pressurized in the winter you could light a match and stick it in the ground where it would burn like a candle wick and not go out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

Goat of Legend
    Bout time we had a Miner's Revenge mountain bike race in Colorado!

Miner's Revenge

The 5th knuckle
    The miners revenge is perfect. I watched the video and I'd be in. Cool stuff.
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    So much history around that area. Coal mines all over the place, Lafayette, Erie were all mining towns. Jay, did you mean Leyden mine when you posted earlier? Do you suppose that's why my kitchen sink faucet catches fire once in awhile?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    Bout time we had a Miner's Revenge mountain bike race in Colorado!

Miner's Revenge
    Fooling around in old mines is a good way to get yourself killed. It's not just the deadly gases, cave ins, vertical shafts, heavy metal laden water, and rotten timber props, the Tommyknockers will kill ya.

mtbr member
    The Tommyknockers will give you a hangover if ya drink too much. If you really overindulge you may feel like you want to die, but I doubt they will kill you.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Geology always gets the last laugh...
    Brought to you by rocks.

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    Jay, did you mean Leyden mine when you posted earlier? Do you suppose that's why my kitchen sink faucet catches fire once in awhile?
    Yeah - Can't spell today. Your faucet catches fire because you were cheap and didn't listen to the old timers and drill it deep enough. The shallow water tables have had associated gas since the early 1900's. It's how they knew to drill for the gas and oil in the DJ in the first place. I've worked the Rockies Gas market for the last 25 years and get a bit ruffled about cheesy propaganda, half truths, and social lemmings on a half baked non-directional cause. The counties that have enacted the fracking ban will soon see their tax dollars disappear and will be seeing an additional service charge from Xcel, Blackhills, and Atmos. Take away system supply, you'll pay to get it from someplace else. "Dat ok, it not in my backyard. yeup."

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Sheesh, was just joking. I know where you could get some Xanax.

The 5th knuckle
    Sorry about that. Cry babies have me jacked up to 11 today. I lost a big bid by $0.0028 per MMBtu. Just a bit chaffed today. I know!!!! I'll go ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Update from the Post

Boulder County trail shut down by mine collapse to reopen Tuesday - The Denver Post

A popular Boulder County hiking trail that was closed after a coal mine collapse last week is expected to reopen Tuesday afternoon.

The cave-in happened about 100 yards east of the Marshall Mesa Trailhead and was reported Friday afternoon. The collapse shut down the Marshall Valley Trail.

Colorado Abandoned Mine Reclamation Department director Bruce Stover said workers are scheduled to backfill the 25-foot deep pit Tuesday afternoon.

The trail, located west of Superior, is part of a larger City of Boulder-owned system near Marshall Lake, east of Colorado 93.

Stover said September's floods and subsequent rain probably weakened and softened the ground above the mine, causing the soil-covered entry to collapse.

Stover said users of the Marshall Mesa-Greenbelt Plateau trail system should be cautious because the the area is riddled by coal mines dating to the 1860s.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    Sorry about that. Cry babies have me jacked up to 11 today. I lost a big bid by $0.0028 per MMBtu. Just a bit chaffed today. I know!!!! I'll go ride my bike.
    ^

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    So, about this Xanax...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How about a photo?

Born With A Tail
    I am admittedly ignorant about most current events, fracking included. However, the idea of pumping chemicals into the ground to release natural gas seems like it would have negative effects on the aquifers. I wouldn't refer to someone who has had their well tainted as a crybaby. Mr J. Rock also makes the point that he is angry because he's not making enough money. That is the issue, money. Maybe I've opened a can of worms here, but I don't care because I really don't use the internet much anymore except to read BikeSnob NYC. So anyway, good luck making more money so you can buy more stuff.
    Tequila tonight, tomorrow we ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Train View Post
    I am admittedly ignorant about most current events, fracking included. However, the idea of pumping chemicals into the ground to release natural gas seems like it would have negative effects on the aquifers. I wouldn't refer to someone who has had their well tainted as a crybaby. Mr J. Rock also makes the point that he is angry because he's not making enough money. That is the issue, money. Maybe I've opened a can of worms here, but I don't care because I really don't use the internet much anymore except to read BikeSnob NYC. So anyway, good luck making more money so you can buy more stuff.
    There are a number of misconceptions about ground water contaminated by hydraulic fracturing. The biggest is the difference between the depths of gas/oil wells and aquifers drilled for drinking water. Gas/oil plays are, usually, many thousands of feet deep, while drinking water wells are rather shallow in comparison--usually less than 1000 ft. If gas/oil wells are drilled and cased properly there is little chance of gas migration underground. The above ground contamination is another issue, and the one of most concern to usable ground water.

mtbr member
    Has it been financially viable to use hydraulic fracturing in the past? I don't believe that it has ever been used to the extent it is being used today. There are new chemical cocktails being used. These chemical mixes are not reported because they are trade secrets. Has there been enough independent research on what the long term environmental impact is to warrant the widespread use of these practices? I am not opposed to the use of these practices, but would like to see more research before they are used at the level they are now and in the foreseeable future. I for one see clean and healthy water as even more important than cheap energy. I would just like to be more cautious. If people can point me to well constructed independent research on the impacts I would definitely read it.

Now older but less slow!

Road past this today. Not much of a hole.

Marshall Mesa closure due to cave in-imageuploadedbytapatalk1385868252.758347.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    There are a number of misconceptions about ground water contaminated by hydraulic fracturing. The biggest is the difference between the depths of gas/oil wells and aquifers drilled for drinking water. Gas/oil plays are, usually, many thousands of feet deep, while drinking water wells are rather shallow in comparison--usually less than 1000 ft. If gas/oil wells are drilled and cased properly there is little chance of gas migration underground. The above ground contamination is another issue, and the one of most concern to usable ground water.
    The O&G industry would be a lot more respected and get more cooperation if they wouldn't spew the party line about fracking being "harmless". The crap about "fracking a well has never contaminated anyone's water" is just ********e. They are actually representing that the actually process of drilling a hole has never contaminated a water well or aquifer without including ANY of the associated processes, like evaporation ponds, waste injection, or even random spills from trucks during onboarding/offloading of fracking waste, all of which have certainly caused problems. It is like an airline representing that flying is 100% safe, because no one has even accidentally died while the plane is in the air, they only died when they hit the ground during a crash.

Step up and tell the whole truth, and we'll listen and be reasonable. Continue shilling for your buck-fifty, and you'll get what you have - people pissed and confused.

And start being transparent about *everything*. Start with the fact that thousands of pounds of high explosives are stolen from well drilling sites every year, and continue with the fact that radioactive isotopes are used to determine the effectiveness of fracking.

mtbr member
    Yes, there are problems with fracking. However, has long term research been done on any industry when it started? Industry sees the solution and worries about problems secondarily. This is from the complete disconnect between culture and industry. We have no cultural context to check the growth of industry. When the goal is profit-über-alles, nothing else matters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast