crashes in parkinglot

Maroon Bells/Aspen color change info?

I'm looking see if anyone has any idea how the leaves are doing out near Aspen / Maroon Bells. My SO is a quest to finally hit Maroon Bells at their peak. I found this site but so far no update.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/recreation/fallcolors/
    Down is the new up.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Plan on next weekend...

crashes in parkinglot
    That seems really early no?

Stuff up in Ned is starting to turn, some of the small clusters are at or near peak. Looking out from the lookout it looks like the higher elevation, larger clumps have yet to start turning.
    Down is the new up.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed
    That seems really early no?
    Nope. The aspens right up by the Bells are around 10K. You can *generally* plan on seeing peak colors at that elevation around the first day of autumn. Of course there are any number of things that could screw that up.

Take a look over at the Kenosha thread - the colors there (same general elevation) seem to be about 50% right now...

This camera might be of some use in estimating: http://www.aspensnowmass.com/onmount...?camera=AHLoge

mtbr member
    I rode Kenosha to Breck yesterday (yes, in the snow) - and the aspens from 9,000 ft and up are beautiful. I would say you're a week out until full turn from my perspective.

mtbr member
    This was taken on the 29th of Sept back in 2007. The week before wasn't quite as good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Check out the Rocky Mountain Nature Photographers forum (just google it). They'll have updates on all the high-country colors, basically up to the minute. Think of it as a fall-color trail condition thread.

By the way, I was up in Indian Peaks today (between 10-12k feet) and the aspens around there are maybe 20-25% turning. Spots of yellow here and there, but mostly green.

Blargh
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Nope. The aspens right up by the Bells are around 10K. You can *generally* plan on seeing peak colors at that elevation around the first day of autumn. Of course there are any number of things that could screw that up.

Take a look over at the Kenosha thread - the colors there (same general elevation) seem to be about 50% right now...

This camera might be of some use in estimating: http://www.aspensnowmass.com/onmount...?camera=AHLoge
    So, the guy is asking for how they are doing this year and you are responding with general advice without any clue of what is going on in Aspen right now? Helpful little bugger you are.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by sandbagger
    So, the guy is asking for how they are doing this year and you are responding with general advice without any clue of what is going on in Aspen right now? Helpful little bugger you are.
    Well I *did* provide a link to a camera directed at the Bells. Although it provides such a low resolution pic that it's probably not any help.