mtbr member
    Aug 2011

In the market for a full-face...

What shops in the Denver area have a good selection to go and try a bunch on for best fit? I know about The Fix in Boulder... any other good shops?

Colorado
    I guess I'll say it before another dozen people do. Mojo

mtbr member
    If you have a Sputnik of a dome, Giro Remedy is a safe choice.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I used a moto helmet last year....I got a pretty bad concussion. Since then, I've been reading reports on biking specific DH helmets compared to moto helmets for DH biking.

I'm in the market for a biking one now. Check up on the difference and decide for yourself which would be better for you before going shopping. My opinion.

i have chain issues
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    If you have a Sputnik of a dome, Giro Remedy is a safe choice.
    Seconded. I do indeed have an orange on a toothpick, and the Remedy is the only current FF that fits (I had an ancient Azonic that worked before the Giro). Literally the only one I've tried, and I've tried many...

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by gearwhine View Post
    I used a moto helmet last year....I got a pretty bad concussion. Since then, I've been reading reports on biking specific DH helmets compared to moto helmets for DH biking.

I'm in the market for a biking one now. Check up on the difference and decide for yourself which would be better for you before going shopping. My opinion.
    So you are going from a moto helmet to a biking one? For what reason? I've always been under the impression that moto helmets had to pass much harder safety tests. Do you think your concussion would have been avoided/lessened if you had been in a biking helmet? I was thinking about going moto for the next lid so I'm curious to know more about your experience.

To the OP: I don't have Sputnik, but I do have a medium Remedy and it fits me very well. I've been running Giro DH helmets for a few models now and like them.

i have chain issues
    There was an article on Pinkbike (I think it was) recently stating that moto helmets were too stiff, and actually protected less for slower MTB crashes because they wouldn't absorb as much as a more pliant mtb-specific helmet. Overkill resulting in less than optimal protection.

...that's if I recall that article correctly...

friend of Apex
    lets not forget how good of a crumple zone the face is
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by brianbuma View Post
    There was an article on Pinkbike (I think it was) recently stating that moto helmets were too stiff, and actually protected less for slower MTB crashes because they wouldn't absorb as much as a more pliant mtb-specific helmet. Overkill resulting in less than optimal protection.

...that's if I recall that article correctly...
    Article:
    Tech Tuesday: DH Helmet vs. Motocross Helmet: Which is Safer? - Pinkbike

That's what I understand from my reading of it too. I blacked out for a good 30-45 minutes with my 661 Fenix helmet (not unconscious...more like blacked out drunk). There was not a single crack, indent, imprint, etc in the helmet. It looks good as new inside and out.

There is nearly no internal padding on moto helmets, just foam that's supposed to crack and/or deform. Since that foam didn't move...I suspect the helmet didn't do much absorbing of the hit. I do think it dispersed the force to the entire side of my skull instead of just a small area though, and I think that saved me from not having a cracked head...at least.

I expected (and wanted) there to be some damage to it, but there wasn't. After reading the articles and looking back on my experience, I totally understand the reasoning behind a biking specific helmet. A moto helmet may work better in a few cases for biking, but I, for one, am definitely going for a biking one this time around.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    lets not forget how good of a crumple zone the face is
    I don't think this group got that joke, especially coming from you.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Thread Terrorist
    we have a few full face helmets at Pedal Pushers as well. If you're on your way down to Mojo, stop in and see what we have.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by gearwhine View Post
    Article:
    Tech Tuesday: DH Helmet vs. Motocross Helmet: Which is Safer? - Pinkbike

That's what I understand from my reading of it too. I blacked out for a good 30-45 minutes with my 661 Fenix helmet (not unconscious...more like blacked out drunk). There was not a single crack, indent, imprint, etc in the helmet. It looks good as new inside and out.

There is nearly no internal padding on moto helmets, just foam that's supposed to crack and/or deform. Since that foam didn't move...I suspect the helmet didn't do much absorbing of the hit. I do think it dispersed the force to the entire side of my skull instead of just a small area though, and I think that saved me from not having a cracked head...at least.

I expected (and wanted) there to be some damage to it, but there wasn't. After reading the articles and looking back on my experience, I totally understand the reasoning behind a biking specific helmet. A moto helmet may work better in a few cases for biking, but I, for one, am definitely going for a biking one this time around.
    Just because you didn't see anything obvious doesn't mean it didn't do it's job, there could be microscopic changes in the foam, especially by the shell. Depending on how you hit, where you hit, the helmet is going to at least save your life, but it doesn't prevent a concussion. The brain and crashing is a pretty complex thing, and the brain rebound is something that's difficult or near impossible for a helmet to control.Here is my usual blurb on things:

Helmets 101
    The major components of a helmet, are the outer shell, the foam liner, the retention system and the padding. The hard shell helps spread the impact over a larger surface (specifically to the liner), accentuates sliding and prevents object penetration. The foam helps prevent or reduce brain injury by managing the energy of an impact through its own compression or destruction, and it does that by converting a small part of the crash energy to heat. Its main duty is to slow the stopping process so that the head slows down during its inertial of the impact (deceleration). Our heads are soft and malleable, and the brain itself moves around inside a gelatinous ooze (cerebrospinal fluid). A major issue in crashes, is the coup-contrecoup (brain rebound) injuries, which can cause concussions, contusions, DIA's (diffuse axonal injury) and even epidural hematoma.

Get a helmet that's meant for biking, that's the bottom line.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    Just because you didn't see anything obvious doesn't mean it didn't do it's job, there could be microscopic changes in the foam, especially by the shell. Depending on how you hit, where you hit, the helmet is going to at least save your life, but it doesn't prevent a concussion. The brain and crashing is a pretty complex thing, and the brain rebound is something that's difficult or near impossible for a helmet to control.Here is my usual blurb on things:
    I definitely agree with that, I took an introductory bio-engineering course in college, and we focused mainly on the head and brain injuries interestingly enough. However, my thought is that if I hit something hard enough to receive a prolonged concussion, I would hope that the helmet damage is at least partially visible.

As was later stated in your excerpt, I truly think it did it's job to spread the impact over the larger area. But the foam did not receive enough force for some noticeable " compression and destruction". It seems that's the part that makes the difference between a bike and moto helmet. I believe the biking helmet would destruct at a lower force than a moto helmet, thus slowing down your head to a much higher degree for the speeds we'll typically be riding.

mtbr member
    had a large Giro Remedy for my huge noggin. its a bit heavy but vents well. Most importantly it save my head in a bad wreck last year. I hit hard enough to crack the helmet and pass out for a bit. i got a concussion but the helmet took the brunt of the force. now i got a carbon Kali FF. i like the lighter weight but carbon helmets are pricey. believe i seen FF helmets in Wheat Ridge cyclery as well as Mojo.