Thread: Make a Wish

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Make a Wish

For those of you seeking bike content, or at the very least hiker stoke from xcguy, you won't find it here. But let me tell you what I got to be a part of today---

I went to downtown Denver today to do some commercial photography scouting, just cruise around, get the lay of the land, take some pics with my under-the-seat-of-my-Honda-DSLR. Downtown anywhere is foreign territory to me but I need to get comfortable with it so off I went.

I eventually made my way over to in front of The Brown Palace, a historic hotel. Never having been in there I intrepidly entered. Holy freakin' crap what a great place. I cleared it with an official looking dude and started shooting. I finally noticed the fancy table setup and asked "is this everyday stuff?" No, in fact, it was far from every day.

You ever heard of "Make a Wish"? It's an organization that grants the wishes of terminally ill kids. They do 250 a year. This event was for an 8 year old girl who wanted to be Princess for a day. The Brown Palace was all over it, Fox news was gonna be there, it was gonna be a big deal.

I swear to you I almost started crying as the head of Make a Wish's event department was telling me the kid's story. Let's just say you don't make the waiting list for "Make a Wish" unless it's about your time to go. She does this 250 times a year. What a job. Today the new Princess' coronation was at the Brown Palace (with a proclamation of such signed by John Hickenlooper), tomorrow she's going to ride in a carriage from The Brown Palace to Coors field where she'll be introduced.

I couldn't let this go on without me taking my own pics (along with other photogs there I figured). I went back to my car, fed the meter, got a fresh battery and a new memory card and headed back.

Fox News was there (to be aired tonight at 9pm) but, get this, I was the only "real" photographer there. ****, and me without the gear I'd have brought with any kind of warning. Oh well.

Everyone was looking at me like I was the official stills photographer. I was granted access anywhere I wanted to stand (actually, I do this all the time but not unannounced like this). I did my best with the gear I had. Any pics I took were the ONLY ones taken.

Given the reason for this event everyone seemed to be having a great time. Maybe all the family involved and the girl herself are kind of resigned to her fate. I was near tears the entire time. I hope I captured the event properly and hope that "Make a Wish" gives me the opportunity in the future (with the correct gear) to do this again.

Oh yeah, tell your loved ones that you love them right now.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:00 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Very cool. There is a local foundation in Loveland/Ft. Collins that does similar events (http://www.macdonaldfamilycharity.or...0/1-Home.html). I know the Macdonalds and they have hearts of gold for doing these events.
    Bikes=Sanity

mtbr member
    We really do take a lot for granted. You hear a story like this and you think, 'wow, I really don't even have any problems.'

What a cool story xcguy, thanks for sharing. I hope the little princess enjoyed her day.

(and despite not having the gear you would've like to have had--the pics look great!)

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It's always very helpful to remind yourself just how good and compassionate human beings can be to one another.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Thank you and great work, xcguy. I'm sure that you took incredible pics (judging by the samples) and made a difference to a family that will appreciate your work for the rest of their lives.

To donate your time/money/talents to Make A Wish Foundation, please visit the link:
    http://www.wish.org/

xcguy is winning, and I'd like to buy him a beer!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    Thank you and great work, xcguy. I'm sure that you took incredible pics (judging by the samples) and made a difference to a family that will appreciate your work for the rest of their lives.

To donate your time/money/talents to Make A Wish Foundation, please visit the link:

Aw shucks. That was my main thought, getting decent pics for the family members. Some of the pics are going to go on the foundation's Facebook page. The guy in the pics is a magician from Lafayette who does work for Make A Wish and I'm going to send him some, too.

And now to go through the other 400 pics I've got and pick which ones I do more work on.
    BTW, I drink IPAs and Stouts!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Formerly Carlos9
    wow, that brought tears to my eyes...

sitting here amongst the maelstrom that is my house most mornings [and afternoons and evenings!], watching my 4 kids eat breakfast, watch cartoons, play and generally be kids, i realise how lucky i am to have them be healthy. for this poor family, they will lose their opportunity to enjoy what i am enjoying now, for ever.

thanks for posting this. i'm off to play and hug my kids...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm sure you touched a lot of hearts and helped to make one young girl feel very special for a day. That's the best gift that we as humans can give. If nothing else, she was able to forget about what ever horrible disease she is dealing with for a short time and capture the day forever. It's the simple things that matter. Nice touch xcguy.

BTW, the pics ain't half bad either.

Pivot Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303

+1 ^^ xcguy -- you ROCK! And your photos are great -- something the family and Make a Wish foundation will cherish!
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

mtbr member
    I just imagine the impact on the heart of Natalia and her family. Wow. Very, very cool, and thanks for sharing and reminding us all.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Very well done and nicely said

Yappy little dog!
    Those are pretty stellar photos for quick gear. I see Make a Wish kids every year when I go to Gartner in Disney. Most of the time, it's just parents with a point and shoot taking quick shots. I always offer to take photos of them together.

You did the right thing and volunteering/giving benefits everyone.

mtbr member
    Thanks XCguy!

It is a bit troubling that we frequently need to see someone elses struggles to understand just how good we may have it.

We just can't take our good health (or even mediocre health) for granted.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I went back today to record her horse drawn carriage ride. She looked very Princessly. She gave the official Princess wave all the way down 16th Street Mall to Coors field where a cheering throng awaited. I don't mind showing her face this time, heck, she was on TV last night!

I was walking alongside the horse, taking pics and trying to keep up. I would have needed my bike...man, that horse walks fast!

In front of Coors Field there were many holding posters. She stepped out of her carriage and greeted her people. Many came up to shake her hand "I've never met a real Princess before!"

She was seen bestowing gifts on her subjects, including little ones in carriages of their own.

Any threat of me shedding tears at all of this was eliminated by seeing her being just a little girl having a great time. Hugs all around, cheer after cheer filled the air. Pretty cool.

Last pic is of the pair of Rockies tickets I passed on because I don't do baseball games and I had a ton of work to do back at my desk. Had I gone in with her entourage I would have seen her get introduced to the entire stadium via Jumbotron. Princess indeed. I walked back to my car, freakin' 20 blocks away!
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:00 AM.