mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Loveland Ski Area MTB trails?

Hey all..

I am a front range mountain biker who has lurked here for a while, but never joined until now.

I ski at Loveland ski area all the time and couldn't help but notice near the top of chair 9 what appears to be a single track trail running along the divide. I always assumed that this was a goat trail, and probably didn't extend very far.

However, i decided to check out the satellite view on Google Earth, and it appears that this trail runs a pretty decent distance along the ridge at Loveland. I also noticed on my latitude 40 map of the area that there is a marked "primitive trail" extending off the west side of the ski area into the "coon hill" drainage and down towards the west portal of the Eisenhower tunnel, which can connect with what appears to be a singletrack? to Silverthorne.

Has anyone here ever ridden any of this trail? Is it any good? It seems that stashing a car in silverthorne and riding up the ski area access road to some of this trail could make for a pretty fun adventure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I know you can hike over to that area from Loveland Pass, but I've never seen anyone bike it. I'm not sure what the regulations are up there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Its definitely not wilderness, so it should be legal I would think...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Might be the Continental Divide Trail? I live over in the Winter Park area and you can see a trail WAYYYY up high snaking along the ridge, and I believe it's the CDT (not Colorado Trail). So... maybe?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by carrielovesbikes View Post
    Might be the Continental Divide Trail? I live over in the Winter Park area and you can see a trail WAYYYY up high snaking along the ridge, and I believe it's the CDT (not Colorado Trail). So... maybe?
    Nope, the CDT drops down off the divide into herman gulch, goes under I70 and continues up stevens gulch road and gray's peak trail to the top of Gray's peak. It completely bypasses Loveland ski area.

Upon further researching, I learned that the trail going into the "coon hill" drainage from the top of Loveland is actually shown as a single track on CCC's currently in progress bike trails map. The trail running along the divide at the top of the ski area is not shown, but is visible on satellite imagery. Definitely going to have to check it out this summer...

http://www.co.clear-creek.co.us/Docu...Home/View/2328

not actually bad :)
    Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88 View Post
    Nope, the CDT drops down off the divide into herman gulch, goes under I70 and continues up stevens gulch road and gray's peak trail to the top of Gray's peak. It completely bypasses Loveland ski area.

Upon further researching, I learned that the trail going into the "coon hill" drainage from the top of Loveland is actually shown as a single track on CCC's currently in progress bike trails map. The trail running along the divide at the top of the ski area is not shown, but is visible on satellite imagery. Definitely going to have to check it out this summer...

http://www.co.clear-creek.co.us/Docu...Home/View/2328
    The path at the bottom into Silverthorne that you're talking about is Straight Creek. Mostly an old 4x4 road, a little single track. I have ridden it a couple times. It's surprisingly beautiful down there, being so close to 70. Dont know about the other stuff you mentioned. Both times I've done it, I had my wife and whoever she was with drop me and my riding partner off at the pullout on the west side of the tunnel. You can ride the paved service road up and over to the south side of the tunnel and access a dirt road over there, and that is what you want. We just cruised it down, and the ladies shopped at the outlet malls while we rode. That trail's not really worth the trip just for that, but we've done it on our way to somewhere else.
    Old Codger

Green Chile Enforcer
    Jun 2009
    Hey all..

I am a front range mountain biker who has lurked here for a while, but never joined until now.

I ski at Loveland ski area all the time and couldn't help but notice near the top of chair 9 what appears to be a single track trail running along the divide. I always assumed that this was a goat trail, and probably didn't extend very far.

However, i decided to check out the satellite view on Google Earth, and it appears that this trail runs a pretty decent distance along the ridge at Loveland. I also noticed on my latitude 40 map of the area that there is a marked "primitive trail" extending off the west side of the ski area into the "coon hill" drainage and down towards the west portal of the Eisenhower tunnel, which can connect with what appears to be a singletrack? to Silverthorne.

Has anyone here ever ridden any of this trail? Is it any good? It seems that stashing a car in silverthorne and riding up the ski area access road to some of this trail could make for a pretty fun adventure.
    I've been eyeing it as well. Not sure why I haven't noticed it until this year.

Give me a shout when you want to check it out. I'll help you set up the shuttle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by slow View Post
    I've been eyeing it as well. Not sure why I haven't noticed it until this year.

Give me a shout when you want to check it out. I'll help you set up the shuttle.
    Sounds great! Ill send you a PM in the summer. Would be great to have someone to explore the area with.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The trail on Coon Hill is not open to MTBs as per the WRNF TMP. It doesn't go anywhere anyways, just a relatively short dead end. Any trails on the Loveland ski area are either Loveland access roads, game trails, or the remains of old, old mining era trails. I'm not sure what Loveland's policy on use of it's access roads is, but I know there are no routes open to MTBs over the "land bridge"

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    The trail on Coon Hill is not open to MTBs as per the WRNF TMP. It doesn't go anywhere anyways, just a relatively short dead end. Any trails on the Loveland ski area are either Loveland access roads, game trails, or the remains of old, old mining era trails. I'm not sure what Loveland's policy on use of it's access roads is, but I know there are no routes open to MTBs over the "land bridge"
    according to clear creek county, that trail is open to MTBs up and over Loveland ski area into summit county as of 2012. Do you have more recent information?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    according to clear creek county, that trail is open to MTBs up and over Loveland ski area into summit county as of 2012. Do you have more recent information?
    The trail on the other side of the Continental Divide is not in CCC's jurisdiction. It may be open to the divide... but I'd trust zrm's info.

zrm - from the topo it appears as if there is a jeep road that comes down from the divide to the tunnel - is that the "trail" that is being referred to here?

Topo: ACME Mapper 2.1
    Aerial: ACME Mapper 2.1

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    The trail on the other side of the Continental Divide is not in CCC's jurisdiction. It may be open to the divide... but I'd trust zrm's info.

zrm - from the topo it appears as if there is a jeep road that comes down from the divide to the tunnel - is that the "trail" that is being referred to here?

Topo: ACME Mapper 2.1
    Aerial: ACME Mapper 2.1
    Yeah thats the one. I have no doubt that it started out as a mining road/jeep trail, but if you zoom in, it looks like there is a pretty worn in single track running down the center of what used to be a functional road. I can't imagine that anyone has driven on it in a long time. I checked out the WRNF TMP, and indeed, it does appear to be closed to bikes, as ZRM says. http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5417590.pdf

Thats a shame. I doubt the trail sees much use anyway and it is certainly not in wilderness. I wonder why they would feel the need to cut off bike access to it? It would make for a beautiful alpine ride if it was open. That is a really pretty area.

Living the High Life
    I'd double check for anything in Summit County. I know there are old shuttle trails up there that are not legal. Just be sure you don't end up on one of them by accident.

From what my friend told me (he went and checked them out last year as he hadn't ridden them in a decade) some are being used again. I'd imagine if you get caught on one once it wouldn't be a big deal though.
    *It's not like it's JeffCo.
    Last edited by Ithnu; 03-14-2014 at 12:14 PM.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post
    I'd imagine if you get caught on one once it wouldn't be a big deal though. It's like it's JeffCo.
    the first time will lead to a lecture for 15 20 mins that will make you want to fall asleep as you try not to laugh at them because they are so serious the second time it's not good, it's best to spread out getting busted by the forrest service over the course of many years, that way they don't remember you plus turn over is pretty high for those guys

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper roo View Post
    the first time will lead to a lecture for 15 20 mins that will make you want to fall asleep as you try not to laugh at them because they are so serious the second time it's not good, it's best to spread out getting busted by the forrest service over the course of many years, that way they don't remember you plus turn over is pretty high for those guys
    I assume that this is likely the case if you get caught on normal USFS land on a closed trail, but I'd imagine that getting caught in wilderness is a pretty big deal..even on the first offense. I'd say that violating arbitrary closures outside of wilderness is pretty different that violating wilderness closures in the eyes of the USFS. Not saying that these trails are in wilderness.

Also, except in very heavily used areas, the only place I have ever seen a USFS ranger is at THs, and it is usually legal to posses a bike at most trailheads.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm not sure but the road/trail may be left over from the tunnel construction - some sort of ventilation shaft or something like that. Like I said, most ski areas don't allow public use of their access/admin roads but I don't know Loveland's policy.

The "land bridge" over I-70 is considered a very important wildlife corridor which is why they won't allow any new trail construction. There was a proposal for a trail that hooked the Jones pass area to the Loveland pass area and it was shot down pretty quick by the wildlife folks. There's a lot of collar tracking and wildlife camera data that show's the use. It's pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    I'm not sure but the road/trail may be left over from the tunnel construction - some sort of ventilation shaft or something like that. Like I said, most ski areas don't allow public use of their access/admin roads but I don't know Loveland's policy.

The "land bridge" over I-70 is considered a very important wildlife corridor which is why they won't allow any new trail construction. There was a proposal for a trail that hooked the Jones pass area to the Loveland pass area and it was shot down pretty quick by the wildlife folks. There's a lot of collar tracking and wildlife camera data that show's the use. It's pretty cool.
    Loveland has stated many times on their facebook page that they have no issues with non-motorized summer access. In my experience, this is the case with most ski areas...as long as you are not motorized, you are good to go with off season access. Eldora is a notable exception to this rule, but the issue there is more related to crossing private, non-USFS land.

That is interesting about the land bridge thing. Makes complete sense that wildlife would use it to cross I70.