Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Team Velveeta™

Lost Rider Old Stage Road Colo Springs

For all you springs folks, a friend of mine in the Springs is looking for his wife, out riding up Old Stage last night and not returning. If you've seen anything contact the authorities.

Authorities Looking For Missing Cyclist
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

The 5th knuckle
    HOLY CRAP! That sucks. It got down to 40 here last night, hope she is OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Do you have any pics of her and the bike? Thoughts and prayers sent out. Will keep an eye open and send this to friends

Candlestick Maker
    baker

mtbr member
    How can us fellow bikers help?
    What is her typical route on this ride?
    Is a CS shop coordinating a search ride from various points?
    I am in BV but can be there in a couple of hours.
    from her profile she has Mutano tires - maybe helpful for anyone that is looking at the tracks on the trails currently.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Man View Post
    How can us fellow bikers help?
    What is her typical route on this ride?
    Is a CS shop coordinating a search ride from various points?
    I am in BV but can be there in a couple of hours.
    from her profile she has Mutano tires - maybe helpful for anyone that is looking at the tracks on the trails currently.
    Her husband is Jesse Jakomait, a pro endurance rider. He won this year's Vapor Trail 125 and was not far behind Jefe Branham when Jefe set the West-to-East record on the Colorado Trail Race this summer. He also set a new record for the Durango Dirty Century this year.

He works for SRAM in Colorado Springs. I'm guessing he's gotten a posse out there, and between friends at SRAM, team mates, sponsor shops, etc he has a pretty big population of strong mountain bikers to pull from.

If you want to get over there and help, I'd recommend trying to get in touch with El Paso County Search and Rescue or the Sheriff's Dept.

I started this thread mostly hoping that maybe somebody had seen her up on Old Stage, and to just get the word out. But I'm thinking tomorrow if she hasn't been found I might get in touch and see if I can come help. If you get in touch with anybody over there, could you post some information? Like who to call to join a search party?

Addicted to Dirt
    Some updates...

Search continues for 36-year-old cyclist who went missing Sunday

Good grief, I hope she's found.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Tom. I just called Search and Rescue.
    They have a group of about 25 friends getting briefed and going out right now to help support the S&R team that has been working since it was reported. They did not need any additional resources as of right now. Tom-send me a PM if you want to go over. I will check it late tonight or in the morning.
    Good luck searchers!!!! Best wishes!!

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Thanks for checking in with S&R. Please let us know if anything changes. I can load up my bikepacking rig and help join the search. 970-481-9066.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Man View Post
    Thanks for the info Tom. I just called Search and Rescue.
    They have a group of about 25 friends getting briefed and going out right now to help support the S&R team that has been working since it was reported. They did not need any additional resources as of right now. Tom-send me a PM if you want to go over. I will check it late tonight or in the morning.
    Good luck searchers!!!! Best wishes!!
    Van Man,

I'll let you know for sure if I decide to head over.

Anybody who hears anything please post it here, I will do the same.

The 5th knuckle
    I'm flexible with work, holler and I'm in.
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    I cant imagine what Jesse must be going through right now. I met him at this years CTR and he is a great guy- class act. I will head out for an overnighter right now if others are allowed to help. Toby if you end up going down there call me I will meet u in south metro area

Mark 720-635-7429

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sure hope they find her soon, hate to hear about something like this. Serves as an unfortunate reminder to always share your route with someone and it's never a bad idea to carry a map/compass and fire-starting supplies.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    A group of riders are headed up old stage road right now and hopefully they will find her.
    This is my backyard and I'm tempeted to go out and look also but technically that area was closed due to flood damage. And so is all of Cheyenne Cayon park which includes Gold Camp road.
    If they are not able to find her tonight I may take off work tomorrow and volunteer in the search, that's if they need more help.
    It is a very popular area to ride but with the flood damage I'm sure the trail would be very dangerous at night with no lights.

Thanks Mark, I'm going to call SAR and see if we can help. Partnering with another experienced bikepacker like you would be a great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    El Paso County Search and Rescue

I talked with SR they said they are good for tonight but to call tomorrow morning around 7 if interested in helping (719) 635-9400.
    www.epcsar.org/‎

I just checked the El Paso County S&R site, El Paso County Search and Rescue

They make it pretty clear that they don't want or need additional riders volunteering at this point. They are concerned that having too many people out there will confuse their dogs and trackers.

Really tough to just sit and watch. But getting in the way is bad too. Frustrating.

Awesome, I'll do it! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Yes it's hard being here and not being able to help but I understand it could get crazy with too many people. They did take my name and number earlier but yeah they now saying not to call. I've been riding in that area for over 20 years and just thinking of how hard it would be to search if she's gone off the road/trail.

Quote Originally Posted by ultrarob View Post
    just thinking of how hard it would be to search if she's gone off the road/trail.
    Unfortunately very true. If she's taken a "shortcut" and gone off-trail, it's going to really hard to find her. I hope that it doesn't get too cold tonight.

The 5th knuckle

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Just read the S&R site, said she was found, conducting medical eval while figuring out how to transport her out.

Kick Start My Heart

Re: Lost Rider Old Stage Road Colo Springs

Found = Awesome News!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I'm with stupid

Lost Rider Old Stage Road Colo Springs

That is great news!!! Hope she is ok.

I tapped that

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Jaycastlerock and so happy for her and her family.

Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    Just read the S&R site, said she was found, conducting medical eval while figuring out how to transport her out.

YEAH! Nice work, EPCSAR!

Another night out there in the cold would have been really tough.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Good news. You'd assume that since she couldn't get out on her own she's hurt but that could mean anything. Hoping it's nothing too bad and the evac goes smoothly.

650b me
    So glad to hear she has been found!

mtbr member
    Fantastic news, I hope her injuries are minimal. Prayers still being sent!

mtbr member
    Great news. Sending healing vibes!

The 5th knuckle
    Old Stage Mission complete, all members out of the field. Thanks Teller SAR and the other volunteers!
    5 minutes ago

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    YEAH! Nice work, EPCSAR!

Another night out there in the cold would have been really tough.
    If you like hearing about more SAR heroes going forward, consider buying one of these:

Colorado Search & Rescue Card

So thankful to hear that she's OK. Got her out before she had to spend another night.

mtbr member
    I get a 5 year one at REI every 5 years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    This is a reprint directly from the Colorado Springs Gazette:

Just before darkness settled in on Monday, Teller County Search and Rescue team members heard a woman calling for help near Knights Peak, close to Upper Gold Camp Road and Penrose-Rosemont Reservoir.

The team, working with El Paso County Search and Rescue and 30 other volunteers, had been calling Alicia Jakomait's name for more than 12 hours. About 6:30 p.m., she answered back.

"She was alert and breathing," said Mike Smith, Teller County Search and Rescue incident commander.

Jakomait, 36, went for a mountain bike ride at 1 p.m. Sunday and disappeared. She was reported missing about 11 p.m. to Colorado Springs police by her husband, Jesse Jakomait, after his attempts to find her were unsuccessful.

By 8 p.m. Monday, a team was bringing Jakomait from a trail to the road. It was unclear how or why she crashed. But she did not try to walk out. Rescuers found her where the accident occurred, Smith said. The trails were especially rough and dangerous following the recent rains, Smith said.

"I'm glad she is alive," Smith said.

Teller County had 15 to 20 volunteer search and rescue team members, some on foot, some on bicycles and some on ATVs, searching a 9-mile area.

Jakomait is an accomplished competitive rider. Her bike had a unique tire tread that was spotted off Gold Camp Road and near the Pipeline Trail - a single-track advanced, mostly downhill trail - about 5:30 p.m. By then, rescuers had covered a wide swath of land from the Teller County line to Old Stage Road.

"She spent a cold night out there," said Pat Burgess, coordinator of El Paso County Search and Rescue, which had 19 search members leading the efforts.

"The word we got was that she did not deviate from the trails," he said. "That was our main area of focus."

Jakomait's husband could not be reached Monday night but he posted on his Facebook page, "Thanks everyone for the amazing generosity! I can't thank you all enough for all of your help finding my precious wife! There must have been 40 mtb and moto rippers out there combing hundreds of miles of trail."
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    And from the husband's Facebook page:

"Just got back from the hospital with Alicia Hamilton Jakomait. Her legs look like they were in a fight with a weed wacker and she needed two bags of fluid to get back to normal but other than that she is in good health and back home."

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    So glad she's ok. I feel like I know Jesse just from following the CTR every year.

I am curious how/why she was unable to move from the spot she was injured (not second guessing, just curious).

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwhan View Post
    So glad she's ok. I feel like I know Jesse just from following the CTR every year.

I am curious how/why she was unable to move from the spot she was injured (not second guessing, just curious).
    Just guessing here: she goes off a 200' straight down dropoff, manages to stop tumbling about half way down, no way to walk back up or down, just lays there assessing her injuries. Very very reluctantly realizes it's best to just let the S and R crew find her. Next time you're out riding a trail with exposure, glance down at a dropoff like that and assess how easy it would be to walk back up or down.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Here's a better description of what happened, how she got from the Pipeline trail to where they found her I don't know.

"The Teller County Search and Rescue team has found 36-year-old Alicia Jakomait, who disappeared while biking on Old Stage Road on Sunday.

Authorities said she found around 6 p.m. Monday and was taken to a hospital in Colorado Springs with a head injury.

She was found in an area between Knights Peak and McKinley Peak roughly two and a half miles off the pathway.

Keith Conquest, an incident commander for Teller County Search and Rescue told 11 News it was her husband who helped crews find her.

"We were fortunate that the husband was able to follow her (bike) tracks and greatly narrow down the area we thought she was in," Conquest said.

Conquest said Jackomait was on the Pipeline trail south of Gold Camp Rd just west of Old Stage Rd and was headed west toward the reservoir.

We’re told she was walking her bike and accidently followed a different trail. She fell and hit her head and was unconscious for a short time. When she regained consciousness she realized she had to go north toward Upper Gold Camp Road.

Conquest said she walked on the trail for quite a while before realizing she was going in circles, having passed a noticeable rock formation four times.

It was around that time, a Teller search and rescue team member was in the area calling out her name and heard her call for help in return."

I did it all for the kudo
    Man, I'm so glad that she was found.

I bet that poor girl froze during the night...

Resident Gear Head
    Good news. It can always be a little shady riding solo as proven by this story, glad she was ok.
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

Team Inflexible
    Great news! Glad this one had a good ending.

The MTB Lab
    Glad she was found and is ok.

Still sort of confused of where she was: "Conquest said Jackomait was on the Pipeline trail south of Gold Camp Rd just west of Old Stage Rd and was headed west toward the reservoir."

Pipeline is west of Gold Camp and North of Old Stage, and its one heck of a long grind from Seven Bridges (where Pipeline dumps out) to Old Stage where she was found. It will be interesting to get to hear the auspicious and scary incident.

Heal well Alicia and so glad you made it safely back with all of us.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Yeah there must be some misinformation. My guess is she crashed on Pipeline and realized she needed to hike out and get back to Gold camp rd, with the head injury she musta got lost. Where they say they found her is not anywhere close to Pipeline tho.

Of course she's home safe and that's all that matters

The facts of this event won't be clear until hear directly from those involved. Hopefully Jesse or Alicia will write something up when things settle down for them. I always enjoy reading a good accident account--there's no better place to learn about what works and what doesn't when things go sideways.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm pretty sure folks here are talking about the wrong Pipeline trail; I think people are referring to the Pipeline (668) off of (701) that goes down to Jones Park. I believe she was riding another trail called Pipeline that goes through Emerald Valley. If you don't out and back it and are heading up to Frosty's Park there's a tough hike-a-bike to finish it and come out by Penrose-Rosemont Reservoir. Its a longer and harder way to do the ride up to Frosty's and after the hike-a-bike their are numerous ways to get over to the reservoir and most all of those trails are very faint until you hit the connecting dirt roads back to Gold Camp.
    Anyway, that's my guess as to where she was found and her being found and relatively okay is the best part of all of this. It was great to see the MTB community come together and help. I was done w/ work early afternoon yesterday and called EPCSAR to volunteer; they said they had more offers of help than they could coordinate to work with. Its nice to know that there were so many people helping and more wanting to.

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    Glad she was found and is ok.

Still sort of confused of where she was: "Conquest said Jackomait was on the Pipeline trail south of Gold Camp Rd just west of Old Stage Rd and was headed west toward the reservoir."

Pipeline is west of Gold Camp and North of Old Stage, and its one heck of a long grind from Seven Bridges (where Pipeline dumps out) to Old Stage where she was found. It will be interesting to get to hear the auspicious and scary incident.
    You guys are thinking of Pipeline (668) from Frosty's Park. However, there is more than one trail in the area that is called "Pipeline Trail" on the Pikes Peak Atlas and she was on one of those. The statement that she was found on the saddle between Knights Peak and McKinley Peak is correct.

And yes, she suffered a head injury, not from a mountain bike wreck, but from slipping and falling during a hike-a-bike section. She was unconscious for an unknown period of time, but from what I understand, it was awhile. Between her head injury and hypothermia, she wasn't getting out of there on her own.

I am very happy she is safe and home. There were probably 40+ friends and SRAMmies with special permission from El Paso County SAR sweeping assigned routes in groups of 3-4. Someone from EPCSAR said it was the most impressive volunteer response he'd seen for such a small period of time.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickle View Post
    There were probably 40+ friends and SRAMmies with special permission from El Paso County SAR sweeping assigned routes in groups of 3-4. Someone from EPCSAR said it was the most impressive volunteer response he'd seen for such a small period of time.
    Really nice to see the mountain biking community come together like this!

Motion activated
    Riding alone +concussion +low temps = Scary. So glad this story has a happy ending! That must have been one LONG night for the husband.

A search and rescue beacon is a very good idea when riding alone. Unless of course you're too injured to use it.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    A classic case of S Happens. You couldn't be a more competent rider than this woman but...S Happens sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
    A search and rescue beacon is a very good idea when riding alone. Unless of course you're too injured to use it.
    My wife and I often ride alone. I bought a Spot a number of years ago, and we always carry it if we're going to be out of cell range. Absolutely no guarantee of safety, but a nice tool to have in the bag.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    My wife and I often ride alone. I bought a Spot a number of years ago, and we always carry it if we're going to be out of cell range. Absolutely no guarantee of safety, but a nice tool to have in the bag.
    For sure. I do a lot of solo moto rides at high altitude and bought an ACR 406 MHz GPS Personal Locator Beacon and carry gear so I can stay warm no matter what.

Concussions are such an mind **** and can make it darn near impossible to find your way out. But you will waste a lot of energy trying anyway.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Thank god she was found!!! The thought of my wife lost, with a head injury and staying out overnight in the woods is horrifying!
    Shouldn't the days of search and rescue be over now-a-days? We can micro chip a dog, cant we micro chip ourselves, or our bike?
    Maybe the SRAM boys can come up with a simple, small, light, battery-less, locating devise that is on all the time and can pinpoint you location?

mtbr member
    Micro chips don't help you find a dog. They just help you identify the dog. Look at the earlier posts. You could get a spot of a personal locator beacon.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
    Micro chips don't help you find a dog. They just help you identify the dog. Look at the earlier posts. You could get a spot of a personal locator beacon.
    I read the earlier posts, I know what a spot is. Like I said, It would be nice to have something small, light weight and didn't need batteries. Get it and forget it.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Waafoo View Post
    I read the earlier posts, I know what a spot is. Like I said, It would be nice to have something small, light weight and didn't need batteries. Get it and forget it.
    The NSA agrees with you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Have to admit I was a little relieved to hear she was injured and not abducted. So many weirdos out there. Hope her injuries heal quickly.

mtbr member
    Alicia's story is here Cyclist recounts 30-hour ordeal, rescue The video is candid and heartfelt. I'm so glad that she's safe and was willing to share her story so that we can learn from it. I'm going shopping for a whistle, compass, and space blanket this weekend. I'll think of those things as my Alicia kit.

The MTB Lab
    A GPS with mapping capabilities also helps with locating you whereabouts. I got lost/sidetracked up outside Ptarmigan Pass at night (Copper/Searle/Kokomo/Hale/Ptarmigan loop), and I went down the wrong road for several miles, the GPS helped me orient myself to the proper direction. I ended up back at my truck at 2AM in Copper Mtn. It was a harrowing ordeal and scared the daylights out of my Wife, my last cell phone was at 7PM on the pass, and then I was in a shadow for coverage (why you can't depend on cell phones in parts of Colorado). I also had my SPOT with me, which made me feel better just in case it might be needed. Warm clothes, rain wear, space blanket are always in my pack on most any adventure, though I'll now steal my whistle from my kayak vest for good measure. Glad all is well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yup, carry a whistle. I found that out earlier this year:

Safety whistle do you carry one?

Does anyone have a link to Search and Rescue's side of the story of this search?

Laramie, Wyoming
    Reading through this thread is upsetting. What a waste of resources just because someone decides they don't care about their own life. Why are people more worried about someone's safety than they are? Are we not able to think any longer? If you are doing anything in the mountains solo, then you are at risk of being lost or becoming injured. Is that a concept that people can't understand? If you are considering suicide, then head on out but don't expect to be rescued. If you aren't considering suicide, then prepare yourself before going out. Buy a map, buy a GPS, purchase a Spot, buy a lighter. We live in a world where NO ONE should ever be lost after intentionally going into the mountains. If you can't purchase one of these after spending thousands on a bike, then stay in town or don't ride alone.

the Chain Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    Reading through this thread is upsetting. What a waste of resources just because someone decides they don't care about their own life. Why are people more worried about someone's safety than they are? Are we not able to think any longer? If you are doing anything in the mountains solo, then you are at risk of being lost or becoming injured. Is that a concept that people can't understand? If you are considering suicide, then head on out but don't expect to be rescued. If you aren't considering suicide, then prepare yourself before going out. Buy a map, buy a GPS, purchase a Spot, buy a lighter. We live in a world where NO ONE should ever be lost after intentionally going into the mountains. If you can't purchase one of these after spending thousands on a bike, then stay in town or don't ride alone.
    Wow, that is some grade A trolling right there. Usually they don't take the time to write so much.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Right after Old stage and Gold camp merge there is a trail that goes off to the left and GC rd veers to the right, I've always wondered about that trail while riding up to do Jones or Pipeline. It's part of the Emerald valley loop that she was on, interesting.

rr
    I don't do PC
    PC internet police suck, you deserve a hardy STFU!

friend of Apex
    What a waste of resources just because someone decides they don't care about their own life.
    Your facebook page (assuming you are True Alpha racing that left a similar comment on the story page) shows you riding without a helmet.

Why do you not care about your life?
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bismirle View Post
    Wow, that is some grade A trolling right there. Usually they don't take the time to write so much.
    But he's kind of right.

The County closed Old Stage Rd at the lower gate last week. She went up a closed road.

(probably not a bad time to ride it actually. But still you should be smart enough to take that into account and have a gps or a whistle at a minimum. Cell phones don't work everywhere.)

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    Your facebook page (assuming you are True Alpha racing that left a similar comment on the story page) shows you riding without a helmet.

Why do you not care about your life?
    I am more prepared while out riding than most. I don't walk with a helmet and I don't do some of my slower riding with a helmet. My point was, if she doesn't care enough to be prepared, why should she expect others to come to her rescue? I know, it isn't popular to expect people to take care of themselves these days. The government should rescue everyone who chooses not to think for themselves is the current thought process.

We aren't talking about a child. We are talking about a fully functioning brain assisted adult. As an adult, one should avail themselves to the level of protection that they are comfortable with. If one wants to go into the woods and wonder down unknown game trails, paths, and valleys without any thought, then it shouldn't come as a surprise when you are lost.

You need not worry about me while I'm riding. If I'm unprepared while in the mountains, it's my fault, but that's a rare moment.

friend of Apex
    I am more prepared while out riding than most. I don't walk with a helmet and I don't do some of my slower riding with a helmet. My point was, if she doesn't care enough to be prepared, why should she expect others to come to her rescue? I know, it isn't popular to expect people to take care of themselves these days. The government should rescue everyone who chooses not to think for themselves is the current thought process.

We aren't talking about a child. We are talking about a fully functioning brain assisted adult. As an adult, one should avail themselves to the level of protection that they are comfortable with. If one wants to go into the woods and wonder down unknown game trails, paths, and valleys without any thought, then it shouldn't come as a surprise when you are lost.

You need not worry about me while I'm riding. If I'm unprepared while in the mountains, it's my fault, but that's a rare moment.

I don't completely disagree with your premise that people should be prepared.

I was pointing out the hypocrisy of increasing the risk of using emergency personnel resources on somebody (you without a helmet) when it could easily be avoided (by wearing a helmet), whilst complaining about the same thing.

Furthermore, many people volunteered their time and energies for the search portion, minimal public resources were used. And these days, correct me if I'm wrong, you get sent a bill for Search and Rescue.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    ... these days, correct me if I'm wrong, you get sent a bill for Search and Rescue.
    You can be billed. But as I understand it, if you have a current year hunting or fishing license or a current OHV sticker, part of the fees went toward Colorado Search and Rescue. Or, if you have bought a Colorado Search and Rescue (CORSAR) card, as I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, you won't be billed.

I think the billing out expenses tends to be when the incident was really stupid, and/or really huge (multiple helicopters, etc).

To the point made by alphazz--yeah, we need to take seriously being prepared. But it takes a while for people to gain the wisdom it takes to be well-prepared. Search and Rescue crews exist all over Colorado, and they are ready to help. And as described in the first paragraph, they are funded, at least partially by the communities of users most likely to need them.

But any of us, even incredibly wise, practical, and astonishingly good-looking people like myself can wind up out there missing the one thing that could actually help. Maybe we took it out of the pack and forgot to put it back. Maybe it never occurred to us that there was something that should be in there. Or maybe something happens that makes it so that whatever you brought with you doesn't matter.

What if, through no fault of your own, maybe a front tire blowout caused by something random like a defect in the tire that was invisible, you go over the bars. Any of you ever gotten a shoulder injury that made it basically impossible to get your pack off without help? I have. So your pack is all full of good things that can help you, but you can't get it off.

Point is anybody can wind up needing help. We all know that mountain biking is an activity that can lead to injury. And even if we aren't taking crazy chances bad stuff can happen. Isn't it nice that there's a group of really helpful people who are all ready to jump up and go look for your broken ass?

I'd encourage you to be a little less holy about this alphazz. Even though you may be nearly as wise and practical as I am (no way are you that attractive), you could get into a situation some time when you need help. Maybe you'll sit in the dirt and say to yourself, "that's how it goes. I deserve to die. Goodbye, cruel world."

But I kinda doubt that. I'm guessing you'll sit in the dirt and try to think of ways to make it easier for SAR to help you get home.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    I'm guessing you'll sit in the dirt and try to think of ways to make it easier for SAR to help you get home.
    I can start a fire with my glasses.

Your retarded
    Simmer down tea pot, your ignorance is boiling over. This couple owns a Spot and GPS(s). As I understand it, the Spot hasn't been working and her husband usually takes a/the GPS on his rides. She has been using her phone because the one device handles two functions (tracks the ride and makes calls), and historically speaking, she hasn't had a reason to need more than that until this event. I will bet my savings that what she carries on rides from here on out changes dramatically though.

If I heard the story correctly -- I wasn't there last night to hear it from her own mouth -- she removed her helmet and strapped it to her pack during a hike-a-bike, which sounds like you commonly do too. So your backyard is pretty dirty to be criticizing someone else's. The only difference that gives you false perception to speak with authority here is that she got knocked unconscious for hours and you haven't... yet. No one should be expected to make coherent decisions after suffering a significant head injury, no matter how much of the appropriate gear they are carrying. A compass, map (which she used as a blanket and managed to make it through the night at 10,500'), GPS, PLB, Spot Tracker, rape whistle, flare gun, matches, headlamp, and bunny slippers are all useless if you aren't awake, or if you are, aren't with-it enough to ever remember what your allergies are when a rescuer asks.

So to state this another way, you are talking out your ass with an entitled sense of authority, so STFU.

Here's another article if others are curious:
    'I don't remember falling:' Cyclist recounts 30-hour ordeal, rescue in mountains west of Colorado Springs
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

Team Velveeta™
    ... you are talking out your ass with an entitled sense of authority ...
    This.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Simmer down tea pot, your ignorance is boiling over. This couple owns a Spot and GPS(s). As I understand it, the Spot hasn't been working and her husband usually takes a/the GPS on his rides. She has been using her phone because the one device handles two functions (tracks the ride and makes calls), and historically speaking, she hasn't had a reason to need more than that until this event. I will bet my savings that what she carries on rides from here on out changes dramatically though.

If I heard the story correctly -- I wasn't there last night to hear it from her own mouth -- she removed her helmet and strapped it to her pack during a hike-a-bike, which sounds like you commonly do too. So your backyard is pretty dirty to be criticizing someone else's. The only difference that gives you false perception to speak with authority here is that she got knocked unconscious for hours and you haven't... yet. No one should be expected to make coherent decisions after suffering a significant head injury, no matter how much of the appropriate gear they are carrying. A compass, map (which she used as a blanket and managed to make it through the night at 10,500'), GPS, PLB, Spot Tracker, rape whistle, flare gun, matches, headlamp, and bunny slippers are all useless if you aren't awake, or if you are, aren't with-it enough to ever remember what your allergies are when a rescuer asks.

So to state this another way, you are talking out your ass with an entitled sense of authority, so STFU.
    Wow, my ignorance? She was beyond her means before she hit her head. They own the technology and she didn't bring it with her? She had a map but wasn't proficient in using it. A cell phone isn't a device for the mountains. Nickle, you have your opinion and I have mine. By the way, a Spot is NOT useless if you aren't awake! It can send your location every ten minutes to anyone of your choosing and to the whole world via the internet if so desired. So maybe it's you who is talking out of your rear.

Your retarded
    By the way, a Spot is NOT useless if you aren't awake! It can send your location every ten minutes to anyone of your choosing and to the whole world via the internet if so desired. So maybe it's you who is talking out of your rear.
    That is true if you have the right model. Otherwise, it's an extra $49.99/yr for that feature, but it is not a standard Spot feature, as you imply it is. Regardless, you do have to be awake and coherent to activate the S.O.S. feature, same with a PLB.

Just because you are right doesn't mean you aren't being a d!ck
    Speed of Lightening
    Roar of Thunder

Candlestick Maker
    That is true if you have the right model. Otherwise, it's an extra $49.99/yr for that feature, but it is not a standard Spot feature, as you imply it is. Regardless, you do have to be awake and coherent to activate the S.O.S. feature, same with a PLB.
    I ponied up the extra $50 a year for the tracking feature an use it. For me, the tiny extra cost is worth the piece of mind that I'll hopefully be found quicker in a situation such as this one...
    baker

mtbr member
    Overall I think its a good story, and not that big of a deal. I have been lost, and expect that it could happen again. I have told my wife (especially when I was into night riding), one of these days, I might not come home. But don't freak out. I can survive, and find my way home, it might just take some time.

Weather wasn't bad, so she just had a good adventure. Scary as all hell I'm sure, but that's part of the deal with this sport.

I am always well prepared. I'm the guy with the pack that looks twice as big as everyone elses.

mtbr member
    Wow, my ignorance? She was beyond her means before she hit her head. They own the technology and she didn't bring it with her? She had a map but wasn't proficient in using it. A cell phone isn't a device for the mountains. Nickle, you have your opinion and I have mine. By the way, a Spot is NOT useless if you aren't awake! It can send your location every ten minutes to anyone of your choosing and to the whole world via the internet if so desired. So maybe it's you who is talking out of your rear.
    So what about the 13-year-old sole survivor of the rockslide above Buena Vista? Was she "beyond her means?"

All the preparation in the world will not save you when the worst happens. As Laurence Gonzales discovered, it's what you're made of when shiat goes sideways that determines whether you come out alive.

If you woke up on the side of a hill with a bloody head wound and no idea where you were or what happened to you, would you have lost your shiat or would you have been a steely-eyed brass-balled MF'er who walked his own ass out?

The answer is, you have no farking idea until it happens. Regardless of the choices she made or risks she accepted before she went in, she came out alive, and now she has an advantage in that she learned a valuable lesson that someone who made the same adventure without incident would not.

In fact, people who make bad choices time after time without consequences through the grace of God or good luck reinforce bad habits and often are the ones that don't make it out from relatively minor crises.

The rest of us can learn from it, and double-check our gear list and consider saving up for things like SPOT or satellite phones (SPOT makes one now too), and maybe take an extra 10 minutes to do some additional ORM before embarking on a simple 3-hour tour.

Or we can be asshats and criticize and berate her because she was so dumb she had to survive for 30 hours with a head wound in the wilderness.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Can't just be happy the young lady is OK, have to make sure she knows what a dumbass she is for falling down and hitting her head. We know you are an expert in surviving in the wilderness, so were all those guys who died in the avalanche on Loveland Pass last year. Get over yourself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

you guys need to start taking away all his positive reps what's up with that, he's got lots of them for some reason, he aint' not positive, start the neg reps till he's all red

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabone33 View Post
    If you woke up on the side of a hill with a bloody head wound and no idea where you were or what happened to you, would you have lost your shiat or would you have been a steely-eyed brass-balled MF'er who walked his own ass out?

The answer is, you have no farking idea until it happens. Regardless of the choices she made or risks she accepted before she went in, she came out alive, and now she has an advantage in that she learned a valuable lesson that someone who made the same adventure without incident would not.
    I apologize that I have offended some of you.

I'm sorry that I am offended by the lack of preparedness or thought that some put into heading into the forests. These rescue events happen a lot and many of them could be avoided.

The example given above is exactly why I carry a Spot. A few years back I did wake up after a fall in the forest, and in the dark, had to find my way back to my vehicle with blood flowing from my head, obscuring the vision in one eye and a real lack of mental clarity.

Again, I'm sorry that my zest for self preparedness has offended those reading this thread.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I apologize that I have offended some of you.

I'm sorry that I am offended by the lack of preparedness or thought that some put into heading into the forests. These rescue events happen a lot and many of them could be avoided.

The example given above is exactly why I carry a Spot. A few years back I did wake up after a fall in the forest, and in the dark, had to find my way back to my vehicle with blood flowing from my head, obscuring the vision in one eye and a real lack of mental clarity.

Again, I'm sorry that my zest for self preparedness has offended those reading this thread.
    Aren't you supposed to put one of those sarcastic emoticons after your speech so we know how your are feeling? Thanks for the lecture though.

mtbr member
    I never really thought about the SPOT. The website says the SPOT gen 3 is $150 and includes basic tracking. Does anyone know if that means 1 year of tracking that you have to renew for $50/year, or does that mean you never have to buy a tracking plan, it is always part of the device?

Team Velveeta™
    ...Again, I'm sorry that my zest for self preparedness has offended those reading this thread.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but your so-called zest for self preparedness didn't offend me, that's a valid discussion.

It was the fact that you are a dick about it that offended me.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Walked out?, he would of broken out his backcountry kit, field dressed his own wound, setup camp, kill an animal for dinner, then have a cocktail from his mini bar setup that he carries just in case.

The 5th knuckle
    I can't speak for anyone else, but your so-called zest for self preparedness didn't offend me, that's a valid discussion.

+1!

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005

Just curious, do you drive a car? You are putting yourself at great risk simply by driving. Where does your car rank in safety tests, does it have all available airbags and the latest safety features? If not, should we just leave you to bleed out and die if you have a car accident?

Preparedness is a good idea, but for every level of preparedness one attains, there is always another next level that one hasn't attained. If a person doesn't carry a first aid kit and gets injured, I'm sure you will be the first to lambaste them. But what if they have an injury severe enough to be beyond their first aid kit? Would you then lambaste them for not having a comprehensive enough kit? What if they had a SPOT but it malfunctioned? Would you lambaste them because they didn't have the latest model or didn't have redundancy? When you start criticizing someone on an evening ride for not being properly prepared, you may be correct, but a) you sound like an ass, and b) you don't properly frame the discussion so that it can be useful. Because no matter how prepared one is, there's always going to be something that you're not prepared for; any time SAR goes out, you can criticize the people they're searching for doing something wrong, by definition. Bu that's not very helpful; it just makes you sound like an internet tough guy.

Addicted to Dirt
    A few years back I did wake up after a fall in the forest, and in the dark, had to find my way back to my vehicle with blood flowing from my head, obscuring the vision in one eye and a real lack of mental clarity.
    Les Stroud, is that you?

mtbr member
    So happy this story has a happy ending.

I think it's easy for folks sitting at home with their bellys full, well hydrated, relaxed and warm to judge others.
    The reality is when your alone, cold, hungry, dehydrated, frightened, confused and injured even the hardiest of folks can start making incorrect assumptions and decisions.

She was out for a quick ride in a area she knows well, she had a map, compass and a phone.
    The fact that she survived, was able to find water and create a basic shelter makes me think the gal did a damn site better than most of us would in a similar situation.

Could have, would have, should have are pretty pointless in situations like this.

Can anything be learnt from it?
    Only correct answer from that is from the girl herself, as has already been said a whistle, torch, food rations, extra clothing and emergency bivvy bag might have helped SAR's find her sooner and meant she had a slightly more comfortable night.

In reality though how many of us ride our local trails with a whistle, torch, food rations, extra clothing and emergency bivvy bag?

The fact she made it out and was heading in the right direction means she was able to improvise and look after herself, as i say that's a LOT better than most others would.

Good on her and i hope that although she learns from this adventure it doesn't knock her confidence too much.
    1994 Fully Rigid Diamond Back Axis TT
    2009 Trek Fuel Ex 7

Apr 2012
    Yup. That's why all of us who started riding before the age of SPOTs and portable GPS units all died from mountain biking. Just a bunch of skeletons lying out there in the woods.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertHurst View Post
    Yup. That's why all of us who started riding before the age of SPOTs and portable GPS units all died from mountain biking. Just a bunch of skeletons lying out there in the woods.
    Thank you!

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertHurst View Post
    Robert, you are a little younger than I but still old enough to understand there would be many more skeletons if not for the search and rescue operations. By the way, funny you brought up the skeletons in the woods, found last weekend in the woods:

Here's a different view. They are currently trying to figure out who it might be. Apparently there has been more than one person not found.

Apr 2012
    Robert, you are a little younger than I but still old enough to understand there would be many more skeletons if not for the search and rescue operations. By the way, funny you brought up the skeletons in the woods, found last weekend in the woods:

Here's a different view. They are currently trying to figure out who it might be. Apparently there has been more than one person not found.

Alas, poor Yorrick. He went mountain biking without his SPOT device.

Why are people more worried about someone's safety than they are?
    Because people make mistakes. And compassionate people care about each other.

Apr 2012
    So what about the 13-year-old sole survivor of the rockslide above Buena Vista? Was she "beyond her means?"

All the preparation in the world will not save you when the worst happens. As Laurence Gonzales discovered, it's what you're made of when shiat goes sideways that determines whether you come out alive.

In fact, people who make bad choices time after time without consequences through the grace of God or good luck reinforce bad habits and often are the ones that don't make it out from relatively minor crises.

The rest of us can learn from it, and double-check our gear list and consider saving up for things like SPOT or satellite phones (SPOT makes one now too), and maybe take an extra 10 minutes to do some additional ORM before embarking on a simple 3-hour tour.

Or we can be asshats and criticize and berate her because she was so dumb she had to survive for 30 hours with a head wound in the wilderness.
    Right on... It's good to prepare but let's not FOOL OURSELVES into thinking we're prepared for everything.

Sounds like the most important factor that kept her from spending another night was her unusual tire tread and the fact that her husband knew what she was using. Anybody use unusual tire tread because it's easier to track?

bacon! bacon! bacon!

mtbr member

If that was near Deckers, that's being ruled a homicide. Totally non-sequitur to this discussion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If that was near Deckers, that's being ruled a homicide. Totally non-sequitur to this discussion.
    details, details, we don't need no stinking details.

The 5th knuckle
    It's beautiful out. Just took a nice 10 mile ride in the snow. No one was out there because they were too busy measuring wankers here. GET OUT AND RIDE PLEASE!!

Addicted to Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    It's beautiful out. Just took a nice 10 mile ride in the snow. No one was out there because they were too busy measuring wankers here. GET OUT AND RIDE PLEASE!!
    Everyone should carry measuring tape as part of their backcountry kit, you never know when a wank measuring session might erupt...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TomP again.

The 5th knuckle
    Name:  s-AVERAGE-PENIS-SIZE-large300.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  27.7 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast