pain intolerant
    Apr 2006

Lory/HTMP Sunday Ride Invite...Early

I'm going to ride Lory and HTMP Sunday morning, wheels down at 6:30am and headed home by 10am'ish. Any takers?

I'm thinking Valley-Kimmons-Timber-Howard-Valley-Tower-Westridge-Wathan-SpringCreek-Stout-Tower-Herrington-Logger-Sawmill-Valley

Or something like that. I'm open to alternate routes. I have a Lory pass so will be starting at the Arthurs Rock TH.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Be sure you're done by 10AM; that's when the bike Mtn Bike day festivities begin at Lory.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin
    I'm going to ride Lory and HTMP Sunday morning, wheels down at 6:30am and headed home by 10am'ish. Any takers?

I'm thinking Valley-Kimmons-Timber-Howard-Valley-Tower-Westridge-Wathan-SpringCreek-Stout-Tower-Herrington-Logger-Sawmill-Valley

Or something like that. I'm open to alternate routes. I have a Lory pass so will be starting at the Arthurs Rock TH.
    Still plan on riding tomorrow morning?

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Furrydogs
    Still plan on riding tomorrow morning?
    Yes, still planning on it.
    I'll be at the Arthur's Rock TH by 6:20 in a green Honda Pilot.
    Last edited by jradin; 05-31-2009 at 01:19 PM.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Had a great ride this morning. Ended up parking at the Lory entrance because the gate doesn't open until 7am. Here's some pics. I'm a novice at this so hopefully it works. Ended up cutting the ride short because I ran out of time, but still logged 3 hours, 15 miles, and 5,000 ft vertical. Ride route and summary here:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewT...tripId=427185#

There were flowers applenty.
    DSC00083_small.jpg

And I thought I was alone...
    DSC00082_small.jpg

Word.
    DSC00087_small.jpg

Nice view
    DSC00098_small.jpg

Breakfast
    DSC00097_small.jpg

I love this approach on Howard. It's like riding toward the edge of the earth.
    DSC00088_small.jpg

HTMP doesn't get greener then this
    DSC00101_small.jpg
    Last edited by jradin; 05-31-2009 at 02:27 PM.

slow
    j,
    Nice pix. Looks like you had a good ride.
    M

Tossin the salad.
    Cool pics!! On this one, did you dismount?

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    There are two switchbacks that I have yet to clean, but made the rest. But I'm always PREPARED to dismount!

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    5000 ft of vertical? Up plus down?

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006

Maybe my GPS is lying?

Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    5000 ft of vertical? Up plus down?
    I believe that's net elevation gain. I'd love to know if I'm misreading this. I'm just using an app on my GPS equipped Blackberry, so it may not be as accurate as a dedicated GPS unit.

I basically rode from the Lory entrance up Timber to Howard to Mill Creek Link to Loggers to Herrington to Tower Road. Then back down Herrington to Loggers to Sawmill to Nomad to West Valley and back to the car just outside the Lory entrance.

As a point of reference, my phone's GPS shows the Timber/Howard loop by itself, starting and ending in Lory (Arthur's Rock TH), to be 2,800 ft total gain. I noticed a MotionBased post that shows almost the same loop to be only 2,100 ft gain. My phone's GPS may be screwing up the elevation.

As a second point of reference, I show Ginny (Bobcat) from parking lot to top of ridge and back down to be 1,900 ft total gain.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    I believe that's net elevation gain. I'd love to know if I'm misreading this. I'm just using an app on my GPS equipped Blackberry, so it may not be as accurate as a dedicated GPS unit.
    Sounds about right for that route.

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin
    I basically rode from the Lory entrance up Timber to Howard to Mill Creek Link to Loggers to Herrington to Tower Road. Then back down Herrington to Loggers to Sawmill to Nomad to West Valley and back to the car just outside the Lory entrance.

...I noticed a MotionBased post that shows almost the same loop to be only 2,100 ft gain.
    2100 ft is more accurate.

Here's a 3000 ft route. Which includes Timber->Howard->Mill Creek->Spring Creek.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ride On!

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Thanks jl. Based on your data there's no way my ride was 5,000 ft. Guess I'll have to cancel my Leadville 100 victory party. (BTY, I never noticed how visible the "A" is on Google Earth - pretty cool to see it on your map)